What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks like it would make very crappy, half burned, half raw food.

Nope it kills it. It has powerful heat coming from bottom and top in a small compact unit how would that leave anything raw? It was designed to make egg sandwiches by putting bread then meat then cheese closing the top and putting egg and top piece of bread on top. It is excellent at doing that with no mess. The first sandwich I made was homemade roll prime rib cheddar egg then top of homemade roll. I make a lot of similar things but use tortilla or corn tortilla or white bread or pizza dough or bread dough. Its really nice when the kids are hungry and it takes no time and no clean up and you don't have to watch it. Now I brush it with olive oil and cook one egg on the bottom with cheese and one egg on the top with cheese and leave the bread out. The dish I was referring to was basically leftover Christmas ham rubbed with salt sugar mustard ginger cinnamon and cumin diced up and put into the bottom then cracked the egg on top and put cheese on top of it. On the top shelf I did the reverse I did egg cheese then ham. I take smoked pork butt that has been shredded and throw it in just like I did the ham. Its like those old sandwich makers man could I get silly with those. Heat coming from the top and bottom in a small space will create amazing food. If you see one on clearance grab it. We take it on vacation

If white asparagus were an animal instead of a plant, fewer of us would eat it due to the cruelty factor ;).

Hard to get too sad on behalf of an asparagus though, even if they are forcefully denied sunlight so as to inhibit chlorophyll production.

If white asparagus were an animal instead of a plant, fewer of us would eat it due to the cruelty factor ;).

Hard to get too sad on behalf of an asparagus though, even if they are forcefully denied sunlight so as to inhibit chlorophyll production.

I did not know this. Thanks @Creamygoodness

They are the veal-calf of the vegetable world it would appear.

I've never eaten it either. I've only ever eated its ethically sourced, locally grown, organic, dolphin friendly verdant cousin. This will change.

Leftover smoked turkey pie.
View attachment 325799

Was going to tuck into it for supper last night but we went to see the Star Wars movie. Then I figured it would figure prominently in lunch today but SWMBO packed a bunch of 'other' leftovers.

If I don't see that hot on the table tonight I'm gonna be VERY disappointed

That pie looks amazing. We going to see the money-shot when you cut into this bad boy.

Nuke the whales. White asparagus is responsible for global warming and the death of thousands of polar bears.
To quote Nelson Muntz. "You gotta nuke something".
3128676813_120f8ee156_b.jpg

All kidding aside I think I prefer green asparagus to white as white tends to have less flavor (on purpose). Fun fact, there are people in Amsterdam who have never had green since local farms source so much white.

All kidding aside I think I prefer green asparagus to white as white tends to have less flavor (on purpose). Fun fact, there are people in Amsterdam who have never had green since local farms source so much white.

It doesn't have less flavour, it just has a very different flavour. To me, white asparagus has a sort of flowery flavour. But then, you might be part of the 75% of people who can't smell asparagus piss, so...

Methyl mercaptan is the offending agent. During a decidedly drunken date early on in our relationship Alice and I determined that methyl mercaptan is noticeable within 15 minutes after eating asparagus. Ahh. Love and science.

Edited to add that after rereading this post I figured I'd better add that there were dozens of paper cups used in that experiment. We were drunk enough to think that the experiment was a dandy idea but not THAT drunk.

Methyl mercaptan is the offending agent. During a decidedly drunken date early on in our relationship Alice and I determined that methyl mercaptan is noticeable within 15 minutes after eating asparagus. Ahh. Love and science.

Edited to add that after rereading this post I figured I'd better add that there were dozens of paper cups used in that experiment. We were drunk enough to think that the experiment was a dandy idea but not THAT drunk.

Well, I was going to post my NYE cooking plans, but I think I better just leave this moment alone for a while.

After 10 days my home grown sourdough starter finally had enough lift to raise up a loaf of bread. Last attempt on Xmas morning yielded a hockey puck.

View attachment 325893

Unfortunately I screwed up and over cooked it, but that just means I'm making another one tonight to bake tomorrow.

Any secrets to achieving such lovely air cavities in the bread? :mug: I took multiple stabs at baking, however I could never get those.

Any secrets to achieving such lovely air cavities in the bread? :mug: I took multiple stabs at baking, however I could never get those.

Sometimes its hit or miss. Seems to be based on a lot of things. However, there is definitely a correlation between high hydration, minimal kneading with stretch an folds, and getting large irregular crumb structure.

This loaf was a dirt simple 78% hydration loaf made with KA AP. Something like:
200g KA AP
140g active starter (100% hydration)
140g water
5.40g salt.

Mixed to combined. Kneaded about 2 minutes. Stuck in the fridge overnight. Took it out this morning and put it into oven w/ light on (about 78F) and let it warm up for an hour. Then did 2 stretch and folds (*this is the secret if there was one) at 30 min intervals. Then threw it onto parchment and let it rise for another 5 hours or so. The dough is on the edge of being a batter and is so sticky you really can't touch it. I use oiled dough dividers to shape and move it.

Baked at 450F for 10 mins, followed by another 30 at 400, followed by another hour at 400F with the door open. The last hour was supposed to be a cool down but on accident i left the oven on and it dried the hell out of the crust.

After 10 days my home grown sourdough starter finally had enough lift to raise up a loaf of bread. Last attempt on Xmas morning yielded a hockey puck.

View attachment 325893

Unfortunately I screwed up and over cooked it, but that just means I'm making another one tonight to bake tomorrow.

Looks good!
Just in case you haven't seen this pig yet...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457601
aka "the thread where ChefRex makes everyone feel terribly inadequate at all forms of breadry." :D

Sometimes its hit or miss. Seems to be based on a lot of things. However, there is definitely a correlation between high hydration, minimal kneading with stretch an folds, and getting large irregular crumb structure.

This loaf was a dirt simple 78% hydration loaf made with KA AP. Something like:
200g KA AP
140g active starter (100% hydration)
140g water
5.40g salt.

Mixed to combined. Kneaded about 2 minutes. Stuck in the fridge overnight. Took it out this morning and put it into oven w/ light on (about 78F) and let it warm up for an hour. Then did 2 stretch and folds (*this is the secret if there was one) at 30 min intervals. Then threw it onto parchment and let it rise for another 5 hours or so. The dough is on the edge of being a batter and is so sticky you really can't touch it. I use oiled dough dividers to shape and move it.

Baked at 450F for 10 mins, followed by another 30 at 400, followed by another hour at 400F with the door open. The last hour was supposed to be a cool down but on accident i left the oven on and it dried the hell out of the crust.

Thanks very much for the detailed response; will give it a shot :mug::ban:

Back