What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled up some lamb chops yesterday. No marinade, just coarse sea salt & fresh ground black pepper. Also grilled some candy cane beets, those pretty red stripes faded when cooked, but they tasted better than they looked. Stir-fried some baby patty pan, zucchini & carrots in olive oil with fresh rosemary, garlic, a dash of thyme & fresh ground black pepper. I tried something new (well, new to me), a quinoa, freekeh & rice "grain salad" with apples, kale & a fruity vinaigrette type of dressing. I liked it; and it went well with the lamb. Washed it all down with a nice cider, it was a good meal. :)
Regards, GF.

lamdin2a1.jpg

lamdin1a1.jpg

lamdin3a1.jpg

lamdin4a1.jpg

Grilled up some lamb chops yesterday. No marinade, just coarse sea salt & fresh ground black pepper. Also grilled some candy cane beets, those pretty red stripes faded when cooked, but they tasted better than they looked. Stir-fried some baby patty pan, zucchini & carrots in olive oil with fresh rosemary, garlic, a dash of thyme & fresh ground black pepper. I tried something new (well, new to me), a quinoa, freekeh & rice "grain salad" with apples, kale & a fruity vinaigrette type of dressing. I liked it; and it went well with the lamb. Washed it all down with a nice cider, it was a good meal. :)
Regards, GF.

That looks wonderful.

Regards, GF.

That's just gorgeous!! Well done!

Regards, GF.

Wow. Incredibly mouthwateringly delicious looking.

10945729_10153042098451788_9024739467395228580_n.jpg

A great recipe to increase your energy levels! Healthy, too!

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.

Cooked this up tonight. It was pretty good. Wife liked it, but she is fearful of the side effects of eating too much cabbage. I had to adjust the recipe a bit to make up for the small amount of ground beef I had on hand, but it was still good.

We are thinking maybe of adding some green peppers and maybe a bit of rice. Or maybe upping the sauce a bit and pouring over rice.

And after dinner we took the kid to dance and stopped at a new BBQ brewhouse in Big Rapids called The Raven. We only went in to check the menu and see what it looks like.

My wife didn't eat too much of my cabbage casserole due to gaseous inhibitions, so she bought a Pulled Pork sandwich.

OMG this was the best BBQ I've ever had! I can't wait to go back and try the Brisket and Ribs! I might have something to aim for when making my own pulled pork. I thought mine was pretty good, usually, but something is different!

Dinner last night was a chickpea and squash curry. Cooked the chickpeas all day in the crock pot, and sauteed some onions and the squash and then combined. I consider it a success, as neither kiddo complained or potentially even noticed the squash.

Score, given they bitterly complain in general and we have a huge bounty of squash at the moment.

Starting a dish in the slow cooker...nothing could be more simple: 1 package of Country Style Ribs and 1 pint jar home-canned peach salsa. Low. See ya this evening for results!

Update: 3 pm and looking good. Lots of juices and rendered fat. Will need to strain and degrease the stock.

IMG_20151001_100231076.jpg

Last edited:
Just put a 7-bone chuck roast into the pressure cooker. Browned it up first, after rubbing it with garlic salt, ancho chile powder, and olive oil; then added a large onion, chopped, a handful of rough-chopped garlic cloves, some yard-grown rosemary, a couple bay leaves, and some Costco dried mushrooms, followed by the juice left over from halving and seeding a bunch of yard Roma tomatoes; also added a homebrewed Porter. It will cook 60 minutes at high pressure. It already smells great in here!

Just put a 7-bone chuck roast into the pressure cooker. Browned it up first, after rubbing it with garlic salt, ancho chile powder, and olive oil; then added a large onion, chopped, a handful of rough-chopped garlic cloves, some yard-grown rosemary, a couple bay leaves, and some Costco dried mushrooms, followed by the juice left over from halving and seeding a bunch of yard Roma tomatoes; also added a homebrewed Porter. It will cook 60 minutes at high pressure. It already smells great in here!

That sounds like a definite winner to me! Don't you just love having that dried mushroom mix around?!!

Drained the solids and forced them through a sieve...added back to the stock, after degreasing. A capful of apple cider vinegar. It was good. Had rice and green beans with it. Very comforting on a wet, chilly night. And we are in for a bunch of wet over the next few days, brother!

IMG_20151001_205048641.jpg

Fixed up some Biscuits and Gravy last night. I had already eaten, but wanted it ready for breakfast this morning.

The gravy turned out nice, although I should have browned the sausage a bit more in the pan before adding the milk and cream. And the biscuits were canned biscuits, Flaky Buttery, and they were passable, but not nearly as good as real southern baking powder biscuits. Too sweet. So a batch of those is on the agenda if I can get time.

Milk Gravy for biscuits:
Fry Ground Sausage in pan. Chop up into small pieces (I used a few pulses in a food processor last night to get a portion of it pretty fine.)
Add a few TBSP flour and whisk together to make a gummy mess.
Let the cook a minute or so to turn golden.
Whisk in milk or cream (I used half-and-half last night, then added milk as it cooked to get the consistency I wanted.)
Salt and pepper to taste. Extra pepper.

Pour over baking powder biscuits and eat until you're sick.

Yeah, definitely! I was working on my country recipe book yesterday, & got to some bbq ones with meatloaf bombs, sausage bombs, etc. Then I thought, sage sausage roll bacon bombs fried in a cast iron pan, then make sawmill gravy outta the drippins. Serve the bombs sliced over the biscuits, then pour the gravy over that? Eggs on the side & just pig...:rockin:

Breakfast for dinner tonight - homemade buttermilk biscuits, scrambled eggs, sausage, grits, some sliced up peaches, jams & jellies, maybe coffee since it hasn't gotten above 60° F today...

:)

We just decided to do scrambled eggs with breakfast links. Need to use up eggs, they've been in the frig for a couple of weeks.

Lots of chives on mine. Need to cut back the chives we just moved inside for the winter.

We just decided to do scrambled eggs with breakfast links. Need to use up eggs, they've been in the frig for a couple of weeks.

Lots of chives on mine. Need to cut back the chives we just moved inside for the winter.
There are so many nice ways to use eggs too. Personally I recommend trying to poach em. Yes, it takes some attention to detail, but in essence it is quite simple. No brewer should have a big issue with it...I mean it involves a whirlpool. ;) Gloriously awesome when done right though.

When going scrambled I looooove the Gorden Ramsay variant. Say what you will about the guy, but that recipe (look it up on youtube) is just awesome. Time & work consuming, but darn worth it.

Sides that, I hope to make the "final" batch of my breakfast tarts this week and get em to you. Till then....the nested eggs are still greatly effective leftover use.

Our favorite "nested egg" recipe involves smoked bacon, yellow onion, jalapeno peppers, and hominy. Cooked in a skillet on the stove top with eggs in nests on the top.

Can't find the picture I had, but will post it the next time we do this.

That's the best time to boil eggs...actually better than fresh. Then, peel them and drop in a jar of leftover pickle brine...last pretty much indefinitely. Great to have on hand for tuna, chicken, macaroni, potato salads.

I made SWMBO an individual vegetarian frittata last night for dinner in a small souffle dish. Toasted bread round in the bottom, two eggs, some half & half, Havarti cheese, a little dried dill, and salt/pepper. Puffed beauifully...wish I had taken photo! Should have had tray under it in the oven though...some dripped and burned. *cough*.

That's the best time to boil eggs...actually better than fresh. Then, peel them and drop in a jar of leftover pickle brine...last pretty much indefinitely. Great to have on hand for tuna, chicken, macaroni, potato salads.

I made SWMBO an individual vegetarian frittata last night for dinner in a small souffle dish. Toasted bread round in the bottom, two eggs, some half & half, Havarti cheese, a little dried dill, and salt/pepper. Puffed beauifully...wish I had taken photo! Should have had tray under it in the oven though...some dripped and burned. *cough*.

Drop those boiled eggs into malt vinegar next time, utterly devine!

I realized that I never made pizza by myself. Which is weird. Then, since I seriously wanted pizza, I made some! First shot at pizza and man, it certainly won´t be my last! Dough and sauce are so easy to make too!

Home made pizza rocks! FYI there is a whole thread devoted to this wonderful delicacy.

We're brewing today, so dinner is leftovers - took the pressure-cooked pot roast, removed bones and extraneous "parts" and shredded up the meat, added it back to the mushroom gravy. It is now called "Beef and Mushroom Ragout" LOL and will be served atop panfried polenta rounds from a tube of ready-made rosemary polenta. Easy peasy and should be super good - things like that gravy/meat are always better a day or two later anyway.

I realized that I never made pizza by myself. Which is weird. Then, since I seriously wanted pizza, I made some! First shot at pizza and man, it certainly won´t be my last! Dough and sauce are so easy to make too!

Pretty pizza! Yes, pizza dough and sauce are a breeze and the results are worth every minute of effort!

I've a craving for Goan so I'm doing an easy one using pork tenders. Pork Balchao. Masala is garlic and ginger fried with cinnamon, dried chilies, peppercorns, cumin, and cloves. Pork goes in for a bit followed by tomatoes for a bit longer, the a little liquid to cover and a 30-40 simmer. After which pre browned onions, vinegar, and a little sugar will go in.

This is the pork after it had cooked in the masala when I added the tomatoes.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443918386.894417.jpg

Back