What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some broiled five spice ribeyes and some stir-fried udon noodles recently...didn't get a pic this time, but they were good. Oldest daughter took leftover ribeye to work the next day and ate the whole damn thing! I love her and wouldn't say "no", but damn!:(

Yooper posted an UNstuffed cabbage recipe on FB. I'm totally going to make that soon. My wife even said she will try it, but is wary of the cabbage gas, so she might eat more of the meat and other stuff. I doubt my kid will even try it. She's afraid of a lot of food. She wouldn't even try a Reuben flavored potato chip!

Yooper posted an UNstuffed cabbage recipe on FB. I'm totally going to make that soon. My wife even said she will try it, but is wary of the cabbage gas, so she might eat more of the meat and other stuff. I doubt my kid will even try it. She's afraid of a lot of food. She wouldn't even try a Reuben flavored potato chip!

Just tell them its iceburg lettuce.

I had most of the wedding party over after the rehearsal and did filets. I had two left from those packs. Not going to bother with another picture because it seems to be all I am cooking lately and that's all I have posted recently. They are awesomely good, but I really am more versatile than that! Lol

I had most of the wedding party over after the rehearsal and did filets. I had two left from those packs. Not going to bother with another picture because it seems to be all I am cooking lately and that's all I have posted recently. They are awesomely good, but I really am more versatile than that! Lol

Oh gosh, never apologize for something like that! :) It sounds wonderful.

We've been eating a lot of the Angus rib steaks from SaveMart because they keep putting them on sale for $5.99/lb. They're really good.

Hard to beat Angus beef. But out of everything I have bought in the last few years, Black Angus for Brookshire's is the best, but every cut from Costco is better, and equivalently priced. No idea what kind of beef Costco is selling, but filet, ribeye, sirloin, etc is all just amazing!

Fried up some coconut shrimp. It was delicious, along with grilled asparagus and grilled pineapple.

IMG_20150917_195521.jpg

Made some broiled five spice ribeyes and some stir-fried udon noodles recently...didn't get a pic this time, but they were good. Oldest daughter took leftover ribeye to work the next day and ate the whole damn thing! I love her and wouldn't say "no", but damn!:(

Ummm.... Need both recipes? Have had mixed success with udon stir fries.

Hard to beat Angus beef. But out of everything I have bought in the last few years, Black Angus for Brookshire's is the best, but every cut from Costco is better, and equivalently priced. No idea what kind of beef Costco is selling, but filet, ribeye, sirloin, etc is all just amazing!

Concur... Costco has been my go-to for meat on single family quantities. The only times I go somewhere else is for party quantities or halal meats (goat curry... Yum).

Can you post the recipe or link here? I've got a head of cabbage in the fridge (my wife thought it was iceberg) that I need to use for something. I don't have the book of faces.

Ummm... ditto.

Poached chicken fillets in a tarragon creme sauce tonight, little lemon. It was super good. Man I love food - I'm addicted!. Tarragon rocks.

Put any herb in heavy creme and cook meat in it and you win.

Sounds tasty! I like to use tarragon with mushrooms, works great with butter, cream sauce or champagne sauce. I'll also use it with stir-fried cabbage.
Regards, GF.

10945729_10153042098451788_9024739467395228580_n.jpg

A great recipe to increase your energy levels! Healthy, too!

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.

Ummm.... Need both recipes? Have had mixed success with udon stir fries.

Honestly, this kind of stuff I just make up as I go. For the ribeyes, I just dusted them with garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper, and some Chinese five spice. Let those sit at room temp for an hour and then broiled them in the oven for about 5 minutes per side and then let them rest.

The udon noodles were actually a happy mistake. I thought I was buying Lo Mein at the local Asian supermarket. The package just said "fresh noodles". When I opened the package, I realized the mistake, but I actually love udon. was afraid the kids might refuse to eat them, but they ate them.
I stir-fried some fresh bean sprouts and canned, diced water chestnuts separately first, because I knew the kids would refuse those. For the noodles, i boiled them first and drained them, reserving about a cup of the starchy water. For sauce, it was probably a couple of teaspoons each of soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, fish sauce, and black vinegar whisked together with a teaspoon of sugar, a tablespoon of honey, a couple cloves of garlic and a piece of ginger, grated. Added to that about a half cup of water, a teaspoon of corn starch, and a half cup of ketchup. Again, I do this by sight and taste, so be prepared to adjust!

I heated the wok to screaming hot and added a glug of canola oil (Probably a couple of tablespoons.). swirled around to coat and then added the noodles. I manage to keep them moving pretty well, but they tend to stick a little. A wok spatula (I guess it's called) does pretty well of dislodging them. The trick seems to be high heat, enough oil, and keep them moving. After they are heated through, I added the sauce and reserved starch water and tossed to coat the noodles. They weren't in a pool of sauce...just enough to coat and thicken a little.

The other day I fired up the grill for some smoked hoisin chicken, bacon wrapped scallops, smoke roasted yukon gold taters & a sort of (for lack of a better name) "grilled eggplant parmesan;" which is basically just sliced eggplant with herbs & shredded parmesan on top, then when they're just about done, top with a slice of fresh tomato & more herbs & parmesan. Pics are in the same order as the aforementioned food, plus an extra pic of the eggplant & finally the plated food.
Regards, GF.

What a feast. Man I'm hungry.

Well, almost embarrassed to post this. No, not filets again. Rib eyes. I really am not that on dimensional!! Really! Lol

LOL!

We're having those Angus rib steaks tonight, and will again Sunday, because it's supposed to be mid-80s here and I'd rather grill outside than cook anything inside.

Steak is always a wonderful choice, IMHO.

Was gonna make pizza, stupid house-mates made stupid frozen pizzas, so I went to Arby's.

Chicken chowder from scratch! (Color's a bit off because only pork I had was the belly and it had paprika all over it, so, but this tasted wonderful.)

20150918_214515-picsay[2].jpg

First experiment ever at buying strips of pork belly and cooking. Little slices of this are heaven!!! (Rub was smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, black pepper.) They were pan seared for long time (~3min) per side, then put into 350 oven for another 15min.

20150918_192011-picsay[1].jpg

Walmart had lamb ribs today... of all places. So I bought a rack. Looks fatty and delicious. Anyone have recommendations for cooking next weekend? I could bake, smoke, braise, sous vide, grill, whatever.

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
When I look at this at work it would not show me the picture and I thought might be good. Now that I see it I have got to give this a try. It looks wonderful!

Toying with doing a pork vindaloo tonight but not sure I got everything I need at the store since I was winging it without a list. But I got pork, ginger, onions, and a few chilis, so I probably have everything else.

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 small cabbage, chopped

1/2 cup water

1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

Had every thing in house to make this thus postponing a trip to the store until tomorrow.

Really good! Of course I did deviate with some chili pepper, cumin and chicken stock instead of water.

Quick, easy and delicious!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442789045.955034.jpg

Friday I made a new Apple Pie Recipe. Saturday I used up more of our picked apples making two more. Instead of combining the apples and sugar/flour this recipe:

1/2 C. Butter melted
3 TBSP flour whisked into butter
Add 1/2 C. White and 1/2C. Brown sugar and 1/4 C. water and stir.
Set simmering while you cut up apples into pie pan.
After the lattice is put on the pie, slowly pour the sauce on top and let it soak down into the pie. It doesn't always soak in quickly, but in the oven it will thin down and combine with the apples inside.

Even though it was really good, I think I'd add a bit of something to make it more interesting. Maybe a small shot of bourbon, or some caramel sauce, pie spices, whatever.

IMG_20150918_221730_406[1].jpg

Friday I made a new Apple Pie Recipe. Saturday I used up more of our picked apples making two more. Instead of combining the apples and sugar/flour this recipe:

1/2 C. Butter melted
After the lattice is put on the pie, slowly pour the sauce on top and let it soak down into the pie. It doesn't always soak in quickly, but in the oven it will thin down and combine with the apples inside.

Even though it was really good, I think I'd add a bit of something to make it more interesting. Maybe a small shot of bourbon, or some caramel sauce, pie spices, whatever.

Wow, that's an interesting method! That pie is a beautiful thing.

Football season means the deep fryer comes out of summer hibernation.

View attachment 304438

Best deep fryer foods are the variety of frozen options available, although I made some from scratch fried crimini mushrooms that were much better than expected.

As a proper dutch person, I love deep-frying.

My favourite is to coat chicken breast strips in spiced/salted flour, dip in egg, then bread crumbs and deep fry.
Serve with sweet-chili sauce.

1/2 C. Butter melted

That is simply gorgeous!

I tried using my Blichman burner with my Dutch oven to make chili. Turned out delicious but the burner has to be turned down so low any wind blows it out but it's the only burner I have that heat the whole bottom of my 20qt Dutch oven so I guess it's time to build a wind shield...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442863216.525876.jpg

Back