What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grilled some steaks that I used the quick age steak method. Had some control steaks and the one marinated in fish sauce definitely tasted different. Crazy how it turned out. I will be doing it with more steaks soon.

Where can I learn more about the "quick age" method of which you speak?! Very curious.

ChefRex - it's 75 degrees here! Lol

I cook inside. But depends. My vent hood does not actually vent to the outside. It blows through some stupid charcoal filter that does nothing. So to save the house and our clothes from always smelling like a restaurant I tend to cook a lot on the back porch on my wonderful beer burner. Eventually I will have a kitchen out here, but for now I make due.

That, and I can smoke a cigar out here while I cook!!! Lol

Oh crap. The app is posting everything it gripes about just a long time after griping. My apologies for duplicate info posts, if not flat out double posts.

Sorry, didn't get the picture, it wasn't that good. I mean, the taste was good, but the stringy shredded lettuce just made it hard to eat.

KOTC suggested making it a casserole next time, maybe with chopped cabbage instead of shredded iceberg lettuce. I think he has a great idea!

Where can I learn more about the "quick age" method of which you speak?! Very curious.

It's super easy. Google it and there are a couple of videos.

Marinade a 12oz steak in 1.5 tbs of fish sauce (I used 1 tbs for an 8oz steak) for 3 days. Try to get a fish sauce without MSG. Use a vac seal bag or dunk a regular ziplock in water to remove as much air as possible and place in the fridge. After 3 days, remove from the bag, wrap in cheesecloth and place the steak on a wire cooling rack (something with about 1" of clearance for good circulation) and back into the fridge for 3 more days. Then grill. It had no fish smell or taste and tasted slightly of blue cheese. It was really good. In the pic, the top right was with fish sauce, top left was the same process without fish sauce and the bottom 2 were fresh control. My wife and I both preferred the fish sauced steak but the fresh steaks over the aged steak without fish sauce.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427171519.656322.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427171537.988206.jpg

You can just take the meat out of the package, pour off the blood and keep it on a plate in the fridge. Turn it over now and then and keep pouring off the blood. 2 or 3 days is a lot. I normally do this with bird breasts, sprinkle sugar on top of them and half a day is enough.

Is that your wort cooking burner?

Yes. It's a bayou classic KAB4 with a homemade windscreen added. I love it for beer because it gets really hot, but I love it for cooking too, because I can control it well enough to maintain a low simmer as well!

I fried bacon. I seared turkey breast in the bacon fond. I applied stone ground mustard to a roll and added provolone and deli ham. I pressed it Panini style -- all on the grill. and of course I served it with home lacto fermented picked cucumbers and homebrew MaiBock.

003_zpszzosmwgk.jpg

005_zpsyh5qiqnu.jpg

oops a little fuzzy

009_zps8x0tmgs9.jpg

010_zps0ezy8oi5.jpg

011_zps4ny63wwb.jpg

012_zpstsssc3o3.jpg

013_zpslgvk4kxv.jpg

I fried bacon. I seared turkey breast in the bacon fond. I applied stone ground mustard to a roll and added provolone and deli ham. I pressed it Panini style -- all on the grill. and of course I served it with home lacto fermented picked cucumbers and homebrew MaiBock.

003_zpszzosmwgk.jpg

005_zpsyh5qiqnu.jpg

oops a little fuzzy

009_zps8x0tmgs9.jpg

010_zps0ezy8oi5.jpg

011_zps4ny63wwb.jpg

012_zpstsssc3o3.jpg

013_zpslgvk4kxv.jpg

If you had put the pickles IN the sandwich you would have had a rather tasty take on the cuban sandwich. As it is, it still looks pretty damn good.

I just stuck a previously seasoned/vacuum-sealed/frozen tri-tip into the sous vide set for 125*. When we're ready to eat tonight, will slap that sucka onto a nice hot grill for a couple minutes each side to sear it off. Penne pesto with pumpkin seeds to go with, maybe a veggie if I get around to it.

I just stuck a previously seasoned/vacuum-sealed/frozen tri-tip into the sous vide set for 125*. When we're ready to eat tonight, will slap that sucka onto a nice hot grill for a couple minutes each side to sear it off. Penne pesto with pumpkin seeds to go with, maybe a veggie if I get around to it.

I've a ~2lb tri-tip sitting in the freezer that I've been wondering what to do with (getting sick of just plain ol' smoked tri-tip. :))

I think I'll sous vide that sucker soon....

Elk fajitas tonight - gonna marinate the tip steak in oranje juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder (whatever the cheap Mexican stuff is that comes in a plastic bag for a buck - very fruity chile flavor and not much spice). Tossed with quad colored bell peppers and sweet yellow onions. Maybe a dash or so of my homemade habanero hot sauces.

Good folks on Kettle Club. Nuf said.

If you need help to translate let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Thanks. But I've got google here: right-click, translate to English.

I was hoping my Prime membership would reduce the shipping. 50+ EU is hard to stomach. I'm going to call around tomorrow to see if I can find it local. Not looking promising.

Like 2-3 months ago, I got a pressure cooker to sterilize plates, slants, and wort, and I have used it for those things with great success.

It occurred to me the other day that I could use the pressure cooker to make - you know, food. So tonight (partly because it's mid-30s, windy and raining) I used it to make a tasty Irish-style beef stew. Man, was it tasty. It made cheap-ass stew beef melt-in-your-mouth tender, AND the pressure cooker did in 40 minutes what used to take 10-12 hours in the slow cooker. Who'da thunk.

Back