What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400879258.013989.jpg
Cauliflower soup finished with a drizzle of olive oil and chives from my garden. Simple and delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just pulled two loaves of porter bread out of the two Zojirushi breadmakers - made four HUGE artichokes - gonna do panseared, ovenroasted marinated lamb sirloins for dinner, served up with the artichokes with a garlic/lime aioli.

sounds great. I havent had lamb in far to long

This stuff is killer good, too - it comes premarinated from Costco and is American lamb. I give it 6 minutes on the fat side in a hot cast iron skillet, turn it over for another 4 minutes, then into a 400* oven with a probe digital thermometer set to alarm at 137* - comes out rare and just so good! We had it with some tzatziki and the artichokes, and I had a homebrewed SNPA clone with mine. KOTC opted for red wine.

This stuff is killer good, too - it comes premarinated from Costco and is American lamb. I give it 6 minutes on the fat side in a hot cast iron skillet, turn it over for another 4 minutes, then into a 400* oven with a probe digital thermometer set to alarm at 137* - comes out rare and just so good! We had it with some tzatziki and the artichokes, and I had a homebrewed SNPA clone with mine. KOTC opted for red wine.

makes the mouth water. I really prefer American lamb to the more acclaimed and expensive lamb from new zealand. The next time I go to Costco I will look for it.

Homeland, a few miles outside of Hemet in Riverside County.

If you're familiar with Interstate 10, you get off on Beaumont Ave in Beaumont, and shoot down Lamb Canyon to Highway 74. Alternately, you could take the 215 fwy south, and get off on Highway 74 East....

I'll extend an invitation when I get around to cooking some up. :)

I'm not QUITE sure where that is, but I'm sure I rode by it during my two-wheeled days. I've done the length of 74 from OC to Palm Desert.

243 from Banning through Idyllwild and to the 74 is a fun stretch ;-)

Huh.... Will have to look for it; only have ever seen NZ lamb there.

Just pulled two loaves of porter bread out of the two Zojirushi breadmakers - made four HUGE artichokes - gonna do panseared, ovenroasted marinated lamb sirloins for dinner, served up with the artichokes with a garlic/lime aioli.

I've never done much with lamb, except for a rack now and then over the years. But I see my local supermarket has some lamb chops for about half what they're charging for beef; maybe it's time to branch out.

Most of what they're selling seems to be cut pretty thin. Any suggestions?

I've never done much with lamb, except for a rack now and then over the years. But I see my local supermarket has some lamb chops for about half what they're charging for beef; maybe it's time to branch out.

Most of what they're selling seems to be cut pretty thin. Any suggestions?

See if they have some whole racks and if they'll cut you some thicker chops, I don't cook chops unless they're double bones, better to get a nice medium rare on those

See if they have some whole racks and if they'll cut you some thicker chops, I don't cook chops unless they're double bones, better to get a nice medium rare on those
I could do that, but I rarely get to the market when the butchers are there. I work rotating 12-hour shifts, and usually hit the place on the way to or from work. And I'd probably get charged more than what they're selling 1/2" thick chops on special for right now - especially if I went the whole rack route. ;)

So I was wondering what I could do with those. I suppose I don't have to cook them as chops; I could use the meat some other way. Maybe in a stew, or a shepherd's pie with the lamb diced instead of ground?

DANG Melana - that made my mouth water up instantly! Wow that looks great.

We finished up bottling a brew a couple hours ago, then I put some center-cut boneless pork chops into a brine of the leftover beer, salt, garlic powder, a little honey. Pulled a vacuum on it and will grill the chops in about half an hour - serving with pasta/pesto/pumpkin seeds and half a giant artichoke. AND a homebrew of course!

I'm not QUITE sure where that is, but I'm sure I rode by it during my two-wheeled days. I've done the length of 74 from OC to Palm Desert.

243 from Banning through Idyllwild and to the 74 is a fun stretch ;-)

I lived in Idyllwild for several years, and worked as a freelance carpenter. I have fond memories of the place, except that it seemed like my feet stayed cold all winter long....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400978008.212714.jpg
Sourdough bread fail. Sorry chef in spite of all your assistance I still screwed it up. It didnt rise right it went in the oven a little wet crust came out hard as hell and didnt brown. The inside was ok overly dense but edible. i am a good cook but I suck at baking I've been known to ruin those break and bake cookies.

View attachment 201540
Sourdough bread fail. Sorry chef in spite of all your assistance I still screwed it up. It didnt rise right it went in the oven a little wet crust came out hard as hell and didnt brown. The inside was ok overly dense but edible. i am a good cook but I suck at baking I've been known to ruin those break and bake cookies.

Do you not think most if all of us have baked bricks? It took me a lot of experimenting to produce good loafs and I still produce some now and again......
The structure of the crumb looks good, I see open pockets, did you slash the top? I may have left that detail out:eek:
Did you use water on the oven? May have been too much and caused the crust not to brown, after 10 min or so I would check to see it evaporated.
Don't get discourage.

Do you not think most if all of us have baked bricks? It took me a lot of experimenting to produce good loafs and I still produce some now and again......
The structure of the crumb looks good, I see open pockets, did you slash the top? I may have left that detail out:eek:
Did you use water on the oven? May have been too much and caused the crust not to brown, after 10 min or so I would check to see it evaporated.
Don't get discourage.

I did not make slashes to the top. I did put a pan of water in the rack below the bread and there was a lot left after it was finished baking. I used a loaf pan would it be better to free form the loaf? I saved a cup of starter and will try again soon. Thanks for the starter and for answering my what 30 PMs?

Local grocery store had 2 1.25 lb.Maine lobsters for $25, which is really an amazing price for the Midwest, and they weren't the lethargic leftover slackers - these guys were feisty!

And that is the 5 gal kettle that came with my first beginner brewing kit years ago, sitting atop my Blingman burner with the fancy leg extensions.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400982513.493402.jpg

In an earlier post I mentioned some thin-cut lamb chops at the local market. I dropped by on my way to work yesterday evening, and they did have some thick, nice-looking loin chops, but they were more than twice the price per lb of the 1/2" shoulder chops. So I went with a couple of teh skinny ones....

I wiped a cast iron skillet with olive oil, heated it up to the verge of smoking, salt-and-peppered a chop, and seared it on both sides. I was so worried about overcooking it that I actually wound up not leaving it in long enough. So the second side came out pretty rare, as you can see in the photo.

When the chop was done (or maybe underdone, depending on your viewpoint), I removed it but left the heat high, and added some butter. When the butter started sizzling and caramelizing I stirred in a rib of celery sliced very thin, two large garlic cloves also sliced very thin, chopped fresh rosemary, sage and thyme (which came packaged together as live plants labeled 'chicken surprise seasoning' or some such thing), and a couple of crushed chile japones.

I stirred until the slices of garlic were golden brown and the celery still semi-crisp, added a few spoonfuls of water and lemon juice, scraped the pan thoroughly while the liquid cooked down a bit, and poured everything over the chop.

I'm going for the sequel tonight; this time I'll try to give the meat a little more time. What can I say? I'm not always at my sharpest at 2:00 AM...:p

lamb chops 002.jpg

lamb chops 004.jpg

Tonight is my one night of the week to cook. (When you do it for a living, it's the last thing you want to do when you get home) and I'm going all out. Pics later

One of lifes simple pleasures, Pizza!

Dough made with spent grain, homemade marinara sauce with fresh tomatoes topped with eidam, chorizo, boiled egg, peppers and sliced tomatoes. Utterly magnificent it was :)

90Of1.jpg

That's an unusual sounding pizza. It also looks and sounds like an unusually good one....

That's an unusual sounding pizza. It also looks and sounds like an unusually good one....

For me there are no rules to pizza making (or even cooking in general) :) I see what works and what does not. I have had a few misses in my time but this was a real hit :rockin:

Edit: Just realized I replied to your 666th post. Hope that doesnt mean I'm cursed or something equally unpleasant :)

Anyone making hard boiled eggs (for deviled eggs, e.g.) might like this cool trick. I do it and it works great. No nicks, perfect every time. Boil for 15 minutes, then shock immediately in icewater for 10 minutes, then blow that sucka out of there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9Akl8vQ-c
Doesn't seem real sanitary to be blowing all over the egg if you're going to feed it to others, but I can see how it would work. I'll give it a try...

Tortilla soup another request from my wife. I live only that I may serve my queen.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401048585.580726.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401048644.818010.jpg

Recipe please, I need to please the woman too!

I will post it. I typed it up because my wife brought some to work and her co-workers wanted a recipe which I did not have. I learned to make it from my mother in law and made it my own over the years. The soup is simple and the fresh flavors in it cannot be beat in my opinion. The broth has to be on point so I fuss over it adding a little bit of this and that until it tastes like I want it to.

Doesn't seem real sanitary to be blowing all over the egg if you're going to feed it to others, but I can see how it would work. I'll give it a try...

Do you know where eggs come from :) Don't even think of kissing a girl if this gives you pause.

Anyway, after blowing I toss them back in the icewater. Regardless, the world's full of germs, you've got a bit in you, might get used to the idea.

Back