What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks nice. we've got a few better mexican restaurants here over the last few years, before that there was barely anything. no historical connection to mexico I suppose

I harvested the last of my greenhouse grown tomatillos last weekend so will be making some salsa this weekend from them. Thinking of just charring them and some peppers and garlic then blitzing them with chillis.

Good plan?

Sounds good to me. I love Mexican food.
Most restaurants up here in the northeast are only average compared to the restaurants I visit in Mexico. In fact I'll be traveling to Hermosillo Mexico next month for work. The best part of the trip is always the food😃

Dan6310

Vegan Chili! Four kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of beans, zucchini, cilantro, parsley, stewed tomatoes.... and LOTS of spices.

Oh! And besides the chili on the oven sits Liberty Cream Ale. I am a multi-tasker :)

chili.jpg

Had dinner at the In-law's house tonight. Pork roast, kraut, oven roasted potatoes, rice, .... My contribution was steamed broccoli with lemon and a carrot dish. I haven't cooked carrots in awhile, so I gave it a shot. Also had a pineapple that needed to be used, so I wound up with a carrot-pineapple sweet curry, with brown sugar, butter, curry powder, a touch of vinegar and salt/pepper. I would add more vinegar next time to make it more sweet-sour, but it was good. Too many people at the dinner just not big cooked carrot fans...and there were a lot of choices.

DSC06390.jpg

Had dinner at the In-law's house tonight. Pork roast, kraut, oven roasted potatoes, rice, .... My contribution was steamed broccoli with lemon and a carrot dish. I haven't cooked carrots in awhile, so I gave it a shot. Also had a pineapple that needed to be used, so I wound up with a carrot-pineapple sweet curry, with brown sugar, butter, curry powder, a touch of vinegar and salt/pepper. I would add more vinegar next time to make it more sweet-sour, but it was good. Too many people at the dinner just not big cooked carrot fans...and there were a lot of choices.

That carrot dish looks & sounds AWESOME! I love a good balance of sweet/savoury/spicy/fruity. I make a mango/curry fried rice that uses many of the ingredients you listed above.
Regards, GF. :mug:

That carrot dish looks & sounds AWESOME! I love a good balance of sweet/savoury/spicy/fruity. I make a mango/curry fried rice that uses many of the ingredients you listed above.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Ooo...tossing the leftovers into some rice with a little soy or fish sauce and a drizzle of Sriracha? Yes, please! Hmmm...no leftover rice. Got some penne pasta in the fridge...come on, lunch!!!

At one time in the early 80's, I lost my job at Ford CEP#1 that they shipped to hermosillo to their new plant. Hope the food was good down their though.m From what I've seen on No Reservations, it looks great!:mug:

I'd try it...especially the cheeks. As adventurous as I am, I would pass on the eyes. Brains, maybe. No eyes.

I'd try it...especially the cheeks. As adventurous as I am, I would pass on the eyes. Brains, maybe. No eyes.

Go to the slide show. The eyes don't end up in the final product. The torch in the pic above is being used to remove any hair. They also use a razor to remove any hair. See the slide show.

Not only would I try it, judging only by the way the finished product looks, I get the feeling I would really like it.

What a great idea.

Go to the slide show. The eyes don't end up in the final product. The torch in the pic above is being used to remove any hair. They also use a razor to remove any hair. See the slide show.

And no brains! That process looks really labor intensive. While I bet it's amazing, they probably get $100 for those two Canadian Bacon sized slices. I think I'd rather have the whole head, slow roasted.

And no brains! That process looks really labor intensive. While I bet it's amazing, they probably get $100 for those two Canadian Bacon sized slices. I think I'd rather have the whole head, slow roasted.

$16. From the first slide. The menu there is quite eclectic. If I ever get to chicago and remember, I'll look for this place.

http://www.girlandthegoat.com/menu.html

The Girl and the Goat is amazing! The Little Goat Diner right across the street is also great. A must stop if you're in Chicago.

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen without close adult supervision. Two weeks ago, I sliced the heck out of my thumb. Last night, while broiling some salmon fillets, I burned my middle finger.

I'm the designated carver on Thanksgiving. Here's hoping I have all ten digits on Friday morning.

Working on a batch of Scottish Shortbread...been doing them since 1983, every year from now until Christmas. First round is in the oven now. While that dough was chilling, I made a batch of what I'm calling "Highland Sandies". They're like pecan sandies. Basically, the shortbread recipe without all the rolling, measuring, and marking, but also with pecan meal. I used a bag of pecan pieces and pulsed them in the processor a few times to make them smaller, but not a paste. I was also planning to substitute 1 cup of spent grain flour for 1 cup of the Unbleached AP Flour. Messed up and put all the AP in anyway and didn't realize it until it was too late. So I just added the spent grain flour anyway and I'm going to hope for the best...looks okay. Made a log and scilling while the shortbread bakes.

DSC06430.jpg

DSC06428.jpg

Before I cured the bacon I cut off enough for dinner for 4 and slow roasted @ 225*F for 3 hours then let everything sit for an hour. Then I put the pieces skin side down in a cold cast iron pan with som oil and the pan drippings and slowly brought up the heat. Turned the skin shatteringly crispy. Super good. Served with roasted cauliflower and creamed spinach and carrots. Rave receptions.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416695051.666924.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416695117.380680.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416695160.451420.jpg

I had lamb shoulder for lunch, spiked it with garlic and rosemary, slow roasted over shallots with roasted mix veg, boiled tatties and green beans. Was rather excellent

Its just a shame the wife has put a kibosh on lamb and veal in the house, because lamb is one of the few meats that is excellent rare, medium, and even well-done...

Beef stew a la Crock Pot for a big pre-TG gathering. After 8 hours, it needed a bit more liquid and I was tempted to add some HB'd Nut Brown Ale, but thought better to try it in a separate sample at some point. Anyone ever done such a thing?

Well, beef and ale have been going together in pies and stews in the UK for probably a couple hundred years if not longer, so I cant fathom it coming out BAD. My vote would be for a seperate sample though... too much riding on this crock for experiments.

Beef stew a la Crock Pot for a big pre-TG gathering. After 8 hours, it needed a bit more liquid and I was tempted to add some HB'd Nut Brown Ale, but thought better to try it in a separate sample at some point. Anyone ever done such a thing?

What? Adding beer to food? Never heard of such a thing:D

Back