What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salmon fillet salad with a homemade dill honey Dijon vinaigrette
63DB4C3D-F6F3-4EDE-8CB1-8097A5A16403.jpeg

Last edited:
My lovely wife started keto about 2 weeks ago. Now that I understand it, I call it the cauliflower and bacon diet. I love bacon and meat in general but my brain just hates the taste of cauliflower. I love so many other veggies but cauliflower is almost at the bottom of the list just above beets. I miss potatoes :(
What no potatoes for keto. Potato is one of the healthiest tuber there is way more daily nutrients than some veggies. Sounds like a stupid diet.😀

Not this weekend but for Paddys day I will be throwing the obligatory pint of homebrew Dry Irish Stout into the crock pot with a slab of corned brisket. The other half of the flat is currently drying off in the refrigerator and will be "pastramied", smoked to 160-170F, then into the steamer before refrigerating overnight.

Reviewing various recipes for corned beef: food network stated, "make sure you use Guinness draught, not stout as it will turn it bitter", I do not consider these being vastly different recipes. I'm using homebrew regardless, I just thought that statement was odd. Guinness does not list IBU or HBU on the website but comparisons on BA and other sites yield 40 IBU for both beers. Maybe someone is tasting the effects of nitrogen vs co2? That'll all be degassed in the cooking process, I've never had an overwhelming bitter in the stew. FWIW my stout comes in at a whopping 25 IBU

Anyways... it's going to be a good one. Fresh rye loaf and slaw for sammies on Friday!

Not this weekend but for Paddys day I will be throwing the obligatory pint of homebrew Dry Irish Stout into the crock pot with a slab of corned brisket. The other half of the flat is currently drying off in the refrigerator and will be "pastramied", smoked to 160-170F, then into the steamer before refrigerating overnight.

Reviewing various recipes for corned beef: food network stated, "make sure you use Guinness draught, not stout as it will turn it bitter", I do not consider these being vastly different recipes. I'm using homebrew regardless, I just thought that statement was odd. Guinness does not list IBU or HBU on the website but comparisons on BA and other sites yield 40 IBU for both beers. Maybe someone is tasting the effects of nitrogen vs co2? That'll all be degassed in the cooking process, I've never had an overwhelming bitter in the stew. FWIW my stout comes in at a whopping 25 IBU

Anyways... it's going to be a good one. Fresh rye loaf and slaw for sammies on Friday!
A few years back my HBC was lucky enough to have reps from Guinness give us a talk and taste of various stouts. The IBUs of export and Antwerp were astonishingly high, but there was balance and the perception was it’s not so bitter tasting. Someone just looking at the numbers could think that way, and yes nitro sweetens the draught. Anyway, it all sounds delicious.

I reduce Guinness export Stout to a syrup when I do those chocolate chunk Guinness cookies that I have posted here many times, and have never noticed an offending bitterness at all. Those things are wonderful!

I follow Amazing Ribs corned beef and pastrami instructions for all of mine. The corned beef is great, and the pastrami is just out of this world!

Out of bacon in the freezer so used some pancetta, fried up til browned, in the cabbage last night. it was very tasty! I think I still prefer bacon though. Now have 6 pounds of bacon to cook up in the oven and replenish the bacon fat jar and the bacon we keep frozen once cooked!

Holidays, for the most part, have become meaningless and passé.
Sheep line up at a faux Mexican places on May fifth and trail into the street blocking traffic. That even happens at TACO BELL! Sheesh!

Holidays, for the most part, have become meaningless and passé.
Sheep line up at a faux Mexican places on May fifth and trail into the street blocking traffic. That even happens at TACO BELL! Sheesh!

It's possible to have fun with it in your own way, perhaps with someone(s) you care about. That's what a lot (most) people do. Not meaningless, passe, or faux.

Kids and a couple of their friends came over Friday night, so I grilled some rib eyes. Reverse sear at 220 on the Camp Chef Pellet Grill then about 2 minutes per side on the sear grill. This is a half sheet pan. And a good time was had by all :) (sorry no plated pictures, but they were all around 123-130 internal.)
IMG_7871D.JPG

That just looks fantastic. A favorite of mine for sure!
Thanks. I'm not a real fan of beans, but it's a texture thing not a taste thing. So I used an immersion blender to liquefy the beans, which also helped to thicken the soup, as did the barley. Came out more like a stew consistency, which is fine by me.

More meat glue fun. This stuff naturally glues proteins together overnight (enzymes).

So, say you buy a tenderloin roast and after cutting it into filets you're left with the scraps from the tail end of the roast. They do make good stir fry later, but you can glue them together to make more steaks. Had this one last night and it was dy-no-mite. With fried squash/zucch and pineapple.

1648074549420.png

1648074559413.png

1648074571066.png

More meat glue fun. This stuff naturally glues proteins together overnight (enzymes).

So, say you buy a tenderloin roast and after cutting it into filets you're left with the scraps from the tail end of the roast. They do make good stir fry later, but you can glue them together to make more steaks. Had this one last night and it was dy-no-mite. With fried squash/zucch and pineapple.

View attachment 763835

View attachment 763836

View attachment 763837
Whaaaaat. Takes me back to the days of school lunch and turkey loaf.

View attachment 763835

View attachment 763836

View attachment 763837
It's the name, "Moo Glue" that just kills me!! 🤣 Can't wait to see what you can do with Chicken Stick'in!

I’m doing Tortilla soup tonight.
05486095-A124-4E90-8A7A-6360AEAB7DB7.jpeg
I’m one of those people that can aclimate to cold weather over a couple of months but can aclimate to hot weather in about 3 nano seconds. We have been in the upper 80’s bumping 90° for the last couple of week, and this evening it is 55° with a 25 mph north wind! It’s just WRONG! It’s a day and a half till April!! Lol

I’m doing Tortilla soup tonight.
View attachment 764518I’m one of those people that can aclimate to cold weather over a couple of months but can aclimate to hot weather in about 3 nano seconds. We have been in the upper 80’s bumping 90° for the last couple of week, and this evening it is 55° with a 25 mph north wind! It’s just WRONG! It’s a day and a half till April!! Lol
Yum! Soup would be welcomed here too!
43DB63ED-0D5C-43DF-A6E1-AAAF84C8832B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back