What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made fish and vegetables in the crockpot with brown rice for dinner last night topped with spent grain bread crumbs.

The bread came out very crumbly and had an issue with rising properly. I dehydrated the grains and pumpkin purée together and I think that might be what is throwing it off.

Corn tortilla, egg, cheese stuffed poblano chili, more cheese/egg, another tortilla & waffle that sucker! The corn tortilla would take the place of the egg batter on the chili.

Not what did I cook ,but what am I going to cook . Bacon weave BLTs tomorrow with some of the season's last big slicing tomatoes.Supposed to get down to thirty this weekend so the rest will be green tomato salsa. Mmm... BLTs and homespun mac and cheese.Sounds healthy no?

Not what did I cook ,but what am I going to cook . Bacon weave BLTs tomorrow with some of the season's last big slicing tomatoes.Supposed to get down to thirty this weekend so the rest will be green tomato salsa. Mmm... BLTs and homespun mac and cheese.Sounds healthy no?

Jealous of your temperatures, probably not in a month. 96 here today. Tied record high. Huff.

Your BLTs sound awesome though. Post pictures please!

Sausage noodle soup (think chicken noodle, sub sausage), and corn/potato chowder. Had to sub coconut cream for cream, as the little one can't do dairy. The chowder was the better of the two.

No pics, but my tenant wanted to learn how to use my smoker this weekend and had a little over 7 lb pork butt. I helped him prep it (removed the skin too which we baked to dry and then fried and made homemade pork rinds) and dry rub it. I then was inspired to not waste heat and prepped 14 and some change pounds of pork butt of my own to add in the smoker. Smoked on Apple wood for my usual 20 hour smoke (plus a few since I accidentally slept in and my smoker ran out of charcoal while I was sleeping). No pics because I was a little hungover and hungry.

Went to throw the pork (post pulling) into my crock pot and found that the last person who borrowed it dropped it and cracked the crock. I may just have to see if I can find a replacement crock or buy a new one.

Homemade Mexican Pizza...yum!

IMG_20151014_183605289.jpg

Last night was my brother's birthday. I grilled up some Paleolithic-era sized steaks, made fries from golden potatoes, fresh green beans, a pear salad, and I even baked a cake.

Only have pics of the cake, so the rest probably didn't happen.

o69SJtw.jpg

7T2kldv.jpg

And later in the night, I made some pizza dough from my too-sweet & flat Oktoberfest.

xTWNOfp.jpg

In the fridge for not even 24 hours and they are almost doubled in size. Not cooking them until Friday night, regardless.

:)

Last night was my brother's birthday. I grilled up some Paleolithic-era sized steaks, made fries from golden potatoes, fresh green beans, a pear salad, and I even baked a cake.

Only have pics of the cake, so the rest probably didn't happen.

o69SJtw.jpg

7T2kldv.jpg

And later in the night, I made some pizza dough from my too-sweet & flat Oktoberfest.

xTWNOfp.jpg

In the fridge for not even 24 hours and they are almost doubled in size. Not cooking them until Friday night, regardless.

That cake looks good enough to eat. Beautiful.

I want a paleolithic-era steak. You farm your own wolly-mammoth or was it free-range? Sounds delish

Thank you!

I only mentioned the size, not the animal. Pretty sure it was cow, anyway... but had the bone been left in the rib-eye, they might have looked somewhat like what was on the side of Fred Flintstone's car in the credits of his show.

Did you make your own frosting? If you did use store bought, how many did you use?

I made a cake a while back and found that one canister no longer covers a whole cake if you try to do a decent middle layer. That kinda ticked me off cause the layer in middle turned out to be just a coloring instead of actual frosting.

:mad:

Topsail Beach this year. Bring a side dish and a beer! (Definitely like my cranberry sauce run through a strainer.)

Thanks to the cooking threads here I learned about Chicken Hendl or Paprikash Chicken. The GF is a HUGE Halloween fan, even bigger horror movie fan, and has watched every old Dracula film made.

This was two weekends ago. Just like my brewing, I tweak, so the bell peppers are not always a part of recipe, but match the flavors. They were pan seared with baby portabella's and onion/garlic.

Looks good! I grew up with paprikash that was shredded and creamed and often over mashed potatoes. In restaurants here, it is usually bone-in pieces of chicken and much more oily than creamy. So when I make it at home it's a combination of those - chunks of chicken (thighs are great) with a little cream. I always do red, yellow, or green peppers and chunks of onions. Great over noodles, but little dumplings or spaetzel would be good. Ok, I know one thing we're having next week...

What is the connection with Dracula and paprikash?

Played with the waffle iron this morning, fried up some bacon then hash browns, cracked an egg, layered the bacon, cheese and a couple corn tortillas.
Came out delicious, more waffling coming up!View attachment 309066

Great idea!!! I make breakfast for one kid every morning (or else she won't eat till after school). Doing this next week! Hopefully it will work ok in a Belgian waffle maker.

What is the connection with Dracula and paprikash?

From Bram Stokers book, there is an entry about a dinner.

I had for dinner, or rather supper, a chicken done up some way with red pepper, which was very good but thirsty. (Mem. get recipe for Mina.) I asked the waiter, and he said it was called "paprika hendl," and that, as it was a national dish, I should be able to get it anywhere along the Carpathians.

This was actually last weekend. Note this is typically more like what my food eats, but given how fat I am getting from traveling and beer, I decided it was ok once.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445050472.662722.jpg

Salad with mix of spring greens, spinach, arugula, red seedless grapes, strawberries, cucumber, blue cheese, almond slivers and croutons with a sherry wine vinaigrette topped with grilled chicken seasoned with S, P, coriander and garlic powder.

This is a dish I was never a fan of growing up, but make once a year at the request of the wife: Salisbury steak. She does allow me to complicate it though.

Home ground chuck patties seared on hot cast iron. Crimini mushrooms then cooked until their water is released, then onion added. Cooked until caramelized. Gravy then built from butter, flour (roux), beef consomme, beef broth, some herbs and a lot of black pepper. All served over mashed red potatoes and a side of corn.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445129920.182778.jpg

Home ground chuck can can be cooked to more modest levels.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445129932.748689.jpg

This is a dish I was never a fan of growing up, but make once a year at the request of the wife: Salisbury steak. She does allow me to complicate it though.

Home ground chuck patties seared on hot cast iron. Crimini mushrooms then cooked until their water is released, then onion added. Cooked until caramelized. Gravy then built from butter, flour (roux), beef consomme, beef broth, some herbs and a lot of black pepper. All served over mashed red potatoes and a side of corn.

View attachment 310172

Home ground chuck can can be cooked to more modest levels.
View attachment 310173

I do a similar, but probably more basic version, but the burger does tend to get a bit dry inside from longer cooking... But then, that's why you make the gravy ;0) I also make the same thing using cubed steak and simmer it until tender.

Back