What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night in a completely random move we put some chicken wings on the grill.

(Wings tossed in salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Cooked over hardwood chunk charcoal. Then dipped in either Famous Dave's Carolina bbq or the hot version of Cowntown sauce.)

View attachment 308261

And now, for the rest of the story....

Ironically, the chicken wings are actually part of our efforts to get the new kittens on a raw diet. One little guy puts away a whole wing to himself while his brother still only eating meat if pulled off bone. As I was getting a couple out to defrost I was like..."Hey, these are perfectly good food." So a bunch more went into the defrosting bowl of water.

Yesterday was also a new stage of life around here. Our financial situation changed drastically as the GF came home by 8:10am. Texted me that the hospital had shut down her lab, effective immediately, everyone go home. (Nothing sinister, just that the lab wasn't making the money they had hoped.) So, while we have both been seriously talking about funding the next step in our lives, and just how much this current job might kill me from stress...now, we have to re-evaluate.

There I am out cooking up the wings on the grill while the GF in house prepping a mozzarella/fresh tomato/fresh basil salad. I say outloud, "You do realize we are eating cat food right?" Then I started to laugh. The laugh went a little dark, and according to the GF it went on WAYYYYY too long. She even was like, "Uhm, that's kinda scary."

Turns out, I had completely inadvertently tapped into a childhood neurosis my mother had trained me on. My mother, a divorced mother of three working as hard as she could, had a fear. Something, that at the time I just heard, it never 'caused' fear in me. She was constantly saying that 'we'll be reduced to living off cat food'. Or if it wasn't us it was the stories of 'all the old ladies who are so broke they have to eat cat food'.

To my mom, using my now adult brain with some analytical skills, that was the symbol of ultimate failure. That was when you had screwed up everything so badly (it was implied that this was caused, not that it just happened) that you had completely wasted your life. That (as Catholics it was also implied) you had squandered your chances and wasted everything.

So, there you go. Some simple little chicken wings, on a grill. At the right time in your life...can really F'n screw with your head!!!!

No worries there. Sounds like your cats are eating better than some people I know.

LOL! I saw those and thought, "Man, someone is kind of OCD!" :cross:

A heaping plate of messiness is fine with me. Sometimes I eat things extra messy just to piss off the wife. She won't eat a burger if it's got a little ketchup oozing out one side. She eats chicken and ribs with a fork if possible, or worst case with very dainty fingers.

Ditto. A mess o nachos is the way to go. Might have to make a plate soon with my leftover brisket.

Yesterday was also a new stage of life around here. Our financial situation changed drastically as the GF came home by 8:10am.

Well... Think of it as an opportunity to take a chance on something that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Well... Think of it as an opportunity to take a chance on something that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Anyone want to find a medical lab tech with management experience, and a network technical analyst with strong project management and customer relations skill a job in the marijuana business in Oregon, Colorado, or Washington? One of the pretty states please, with forest.

Alaska too far away.

Yeah, no. I am at a point where if she can find a good job she will enjoy, I can move with her and find a job. Spent the last 15yrs paying into a pension and 401k, so time for me to not be so stressed either.

That just looks fantastic! I was wondering if I could do paella in my cast iron, but you don't seem to have had issues. And tips?

Cast iron is a great material for paella's cooking dish (I use Le Creuset's one). Taking clue from the Spaniards, I like to have the rice on the bottom slightly burned.

Tips-wise, I think this article sums it up beautifully:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/simon-hopkinson/stove-notes-paella-perfectionists

If you have access to the grill - all the better :ban:

Best wishes :mug:

Last night was breakfast. I had an Apple Muffin topped with Hot Pepper Jelly (it's not actually hot now for some reason..), some fried potatoes and onions, and a couple of over-easy eggs and toast.

Washed down with half a Jaw Jacker Pumpkin Ale from Arcadia. I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but they are growing on me. I'm enjoying trying them with the wife who is learning to appreciate beer a little every day.

My hot pepper jelly lost its heat also.

Cast iron is a great material for paella's cooking dish (I use Le Creuset's one). Taking clue from the Spaniards, I like to have the rice on the bottom slightly burned.

Tips-wise, I think this article sums it up beautifully:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/simon-hopkinson/stove-notes-paella-perfectionists

If you have access to the grill - all the better :ban:

Best wishes :mug:

Thanks. Yes, I recognized the pan. Mine's just orange :) I had already planned on giving paella a try in it sometime, but now that I see it can be done I most certainly will!

I get a little pepper flavor, but it came from the store without the heat. And it says right on the label, "Hot Pepper Jelly".

Time for me to try making my own again.

The GF used up the extra habaneros in a jam this year. It was very hot before setting, but after a week or two in bottles it has settled down. Not killer hot, but not bland. I can use half of a mini-spoon on a cracker and be good.

Wonder if it will keep getting milder over time. Hmmm.

Gotta try my Peppa Sauce this weekend. With 3 ghosts, 2 fatalii's & 4 scorpions in each bottle, it should need only one drop...

Snack mid morning...leftover rice, Monteray jack cheese, Green Seasoning, two eggs, salt-pepper. Cooked eggs over medium. Good stuff!

IMG_20151009_100902077.jpg

I made about 5 dozen bacon-wrapped, cheese & pesto stuffed, jalapeno poppers yesterday. Headed to Dad's soon to celebrate his 90th birthday, which was 2 days ago. Scotch will flow, no doubt, and we'll have "munchies" and some dulce de leche cake.

Green seasoning? Really? The Caribbean green seasoning? Did you make it or buy it?

I bought a brand called "Chief" that is available here. My sister made a chicken dinner for me once when I was visiting recently, that uses Green Sauce. It was really good. Her husband is originally from Trinidad and showed her how to make it. I think I would have to have her show it to me again, but I did find some of the ingredients. The other ingredients I bought are Matouk's brand West Indian Hot Sauce and Badia brand Sazon Tropical. The hot sauce is yellow, a little chunky...and very hot. So, I haven't made the chicken recipe yet, but I've played with the ingredients. I've used the Sazon with a crock pot pork and it was good.

I "cooked" my way down to the Chinese restaurant for some orange chicken tonight. 700-1200 calorie days were bumming me out, tonight was a "cheat" night.

:)

My way is not true to the recipe in that I grill the chicken instead of browning it in butter after a light dusting of flour, but my way is as good and lower in carbs.
Onions
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444518277.581475.jpg
Add in the roasted, peeled, seeded Poblanos
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444518327.335488.jpg
Add in half and half
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444518363.339562.jpg
Put in the pre grilled chicken
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444518398.145535.jpg
Top with Monterrey Jack
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444518435.400442.jpg
Cover and finish in the oven till chicken is cooked through.
I add a bit more cheese and uncover so it browns a bit. Then eat it however you want. I like it on flour tortillas.

Got around to finishing my muscadine grape jelly...grapes have been in the fridge for a few weeks and needed to be used before it was too late. Converted to juice Friday and finished today. I also had some "grenache" grapes in the fridge, so I threw those in, too. I figured they would just add a little something extra for flavor intensity.

IMG_20151011_142335529.jpg

IMG_20151009_085451039.jpg

@Gavin C best post I´ve seen here? Best post I´ve seen here. Good photos, delicious, complete, and a touch of heartstrings. All you need. Go on good sir, go on.

That kids is saying, "Imma kill you put that on FB, bro."

Had a boring weekend. I think the only thing I made of note was frying up some potatoes for breakfast and topping with some leftover mushroom gravy from the crock pot ribs I made before. And eggs on top of that.

Back