What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haluski for supper tonight. I'm not Polish but haluski and pierogies might make me claim otherwise.I hear it's an eastern Ohio western Pennsylvania thing ,but you need to google it and try it. You won't be disappointed .

I prefer a honey to medium color oak cabinets, personally; however, we downsized a few years back and my cabinets are darker than Melana's...haven't remodeled yet. Honestly, I'm surprised when I see ultra expensive houses with kitchens that are either all white (cleaning nightmare) or the cabinetry is dark walnut or cherry. I would love a kitchen fitted with Ikea cabinets, because I love the doors and drawers that have the gentle closure hardware. But I do NOT want the ultra "modern" Swedish light wood cabinets.

I love the doors and drawers that have the gentle closure hardware.

You can buy the hardware to do that and add it yourself. I did. I added it to all the drawers in my kitchen. The small towel drawers near my sink only needed one of them, larger drawers 2. Bought from www.wwhardware.com. Manuf is Blum, their trademark is blumotion for the soft closure feature.

This is from a weekend last fall. Cooked up the freshest kokanee salmon you can get. Here are pics from start to finish. Sort of a "grain to glass" for my food. Now how many people know where the food they eat comes from at this level? Also, the carrots and potatos came from my garden, and a nice glass of barrel aged oat stout to compliment everything.

Not sure why the pics downloaded backwards, lol

Is that the Snake river?
Regards, GF.

Haluski for supper tonight. I'm not Polish but haluski and pierogies might make me claim otherwise.I hear it's an eastern Ohio western Pennsylvania thing ,but you need to google it and try it. You won't be disappointed .

Haven't had Haluski in years!

I keep promising wife that I'd make it one of these days. Thanks for the reminder

Got my tortilla press the other day and got some masa harina last night, but had to work at mom's house so I stopped by Crankers Brewery after my dental appt. and had an order of nachos and a beer.

I don't know when I'll have time to cook again. Apparently I have drywall to mud and sand now. Hopefully that will get done this weekend, but I'm alway smore ambitious BEFORE I start, than I am once I get started. Sanding drywall SUCKS!

Got my tortilla press the other day and got some masa harina last night, but had to work at mom's house so I stopped by Crankers Brewery after my dental appt. and had an order of nachos and a beer.

I don't know when I'll have time to cook again. Apparently I have drywall to mud and sand now. Hopefully that will get done this weekend, but I'm alway smore ambitious BEFORE I start, than I am once I get started. Sanding drywall SUCKS!

True. You think you have it then wash down the dust and realize how much more work there is. At least the beer is always two or three times better while doing that kind of work! :mug:

True. You think you have it then wash down the dust and realize how much more work there is. At least the beer is always two or three times better while doing that kind of work! :mug:

I agree.

But this is at my mom's/sister's house, and they are baptist, which means they tolerate my drinking beer at MY house, not so much at THEIR house...

Best I can hope for is to slap the dust off me, drive the 4 blocks back to my house fast as I can and take a quick shower with the beer sitting on the bathroom sink next to the shower.

My trick for drywall is to turn the lights off and shine a flashlight across the wall. That REALLY makes the imperfections stand out!

Then dont sand it. Use a damp sponge. It will whipe off the excess mud, and leave it nice and smooth. No dust, its easier on your hands and arms, and goes faster.

ps. finnish cabinets, either whatever was cheapest at ikea if they own the place, or whatever the building had when it was built if it is rental...

90% of rental places we saw when i first moved to Helsinki still had 1970's white vinyl on chipboard..

I was in the mood for something that I could cook really quickly, so I stopped at the Mexican grocery store because I knew that, in the butcher case, they have raw chicken breast strips soaking in a spicy marinade with peppers and onions. I sauteed that up with some more peppers and onions and put it in tortillas, and it was really good! And fast! And cheap!

I was in the mood for something that I could cook really quickly, so I stopped at the Mexican grocery store because I knew that, in the butcher case, they have raw chicken breast strips soaking in a spicy marinade with peppers and onions. I sauteed that up with some more peppers and onions and put it in tortillas, and it was really good! And fast! And cheap!

My butcher has chicken and pork souvlaki skewers for $2.50 a stick that have been marinating since the morning usually. Two of those, a little salad and a bit of white or yellow rice (or rice a roni, shhhhh) and you got a pretty stellar cheap and quick meal.

How about a little pesto with basil and parsley from my garden, plus the usual garlic, toasted pine nuts, parmesan cheese and some basil infused EVOO? Coat an 8oz swordfish steak and fridge for a couple hours and then used my stovetop grill pan. Tasty!

IMG_20150423_184744404.jpg

SWMBO is having a girls' night, so I'm grilling brats and having a cigar. I improv'd a foil pan because I had too many peppers and onions to fit in the cast iron gratin dish.

Leftovers will be my brew day grub on Saturday.

Grilling and a cigar. Hard to beat that!

How about a little pesto with basil and parsley from my garden, plus the usual garlic, toasted pine nuts, parmesan cheese and some basil infused EVOO? Coat an 8oz swordfish steak and fridge for a couple hours and then used my stovetop grill pan. Tasty!

Similar to facebook, this site is missing a "dislike" button. But if it had one, this post would get it.

I made buttermilk biscuits. It's like magic, turning butter, flour, & buttermilk into these perfect little disks of baked goodness. No pics, sorry. Maybe next time!

Ouch...harsh, dude. What do you have against pesto and/or swordfish?!

I love pesto.

Swordfish are 1) indiscriminately and severely overfished, and 2) contain higher levels of mercury than any other fish known to man. Shortly said, you should not be buying or eating swordfish.

I love pesto.

Swordfish are 1) indiscriminately and severely overfished, and 2) contain higher levels of mercury than any other fish known to man. Shortly said, you should not be buying or eating swordfish.

Your information on the sustainability of swordfish is outdated. http://www.fishwatch.gov/seafood_profiles/species/swordfish/species_pages/north_atlantic_swordfish.htm

And canned tuna is MUCH worse than swordfish for mercury. There are recommendations to restrict the intake of fish to smaller amounts, especially fish with higher content, and to limit the frequency. However, many believe that the health benefits of fish greatly outweigh the risks. Personally, I don't eat a lot of fish in general. This was the first piece of fish that I have consumed in months, so I think I'm okay. (Actually, I make tuna salad pretty often...but I buy line-caught, good quality tuna, packed in olive oil.) I would much rather focus on the reasons WHY there are fish with mercury in them and trying to stop or greatly reduce that! (Like stopping the replacement of incandescent bulbs with more expensive twisty bulbs that contain mercury and aren't supposed to be put in the trash and are supposed to be handled like hazardous waste if you break one...and you KNOW there's a bunch of people that aren't disposing of them or handling them properly.)

I was changing a flourescent tube-bulb once in a store with ceiling fans, and accidentally broke one after getting too close to the fan blades. I was showered with broken glass & whatever gases are inside those things (flourine &...?).

I am surprised I'm not dead already.

I love pesto.

Damn I can't have brown cabinets or eat swordfish? Oh wait yes I can I live in America. I haven't had swordfish in ages but suddenly I am craving it. :tank:

My biggest issue with swordfish would be the amount of parasites, back when i lived in Zandvoort, the local fishmonger didn't want to sell it because he either had to throw out over 50% of filets or sell things he wasn't sure of.

Made something different (for us anyway) yesterday. Our state return posted Friday, so we shopped at super wallyworld. Found these Johnsonville "steakhouse onion" grillers. 1/4lb pork patties with seasonings & worcestershire already in them. So I figured, sorta like brat burgers? I cooked two boxes (6 count) on my seasoned cast iron griddle/griller pan that covers two burners. They wound up smelling like seasoned pork chops while they cooked. Served like burgers with beefsteak tomato, burly-cut lettuce & sharp cheddar cheese. I also doused it with mayo & sriracha. A lil potato & macaroni salad as well. Boy, did those things have a nice grilled onion aroma & flavor. Said on box they were a new flavor? I've gotta try smokin' some of these things if/when the rain & wind stops.

Back