What can I do to save this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
I'm not sure how mold keeps ending up while I'm fermenting. This is my second batch with my big mouth bubbler and when I dry hop this has happened both times. I left it alone with the first batch and had off flavors. I was OK with them but I'm planning this batch for a party. I need to pull it back and stop the mold. I wanted to dry hop for a month but this is only 3 days in. I'm willing to bottle it if that's the only option I have but I'd like to get a good dry hop. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 1427973640460.jpg

I don't think that's mold. Instead, it looks a lot like a bacterial pellicle.

If this happens over and over again, I'd say your fermenter is harboring bacteria and it needs either a super-duper cleaning, or replacement. (If it's glass, it can be cleaned much easier than plastic, and probably doesn't need replacement.)

Maybe others with more infection experience will chime in, but saving it? Maybe. But I sure wouldn't serve it at a party. (It won't make anyone sick, but you are pretty certain to have off-flavors.)

As for cleaning, check out "bleach bomb." You probably should sterilize/replace anything that touched this or the last batch, too (Racking cane, tubing, etc.)

Looks like a lactobacillus infection. It will sour the beer over time.

For example, grain and grain dust/flour is covered in them.

Something between your boil and fermentor/dry hop picked it up. If this is the 2nd time, review your sanitation routines. What sanitizer are you using?

How were the dry hops packaged? That hop bag should be submersed, not floating.

Sani-star 1oz to 5 gallons 20 min contact time minimum. I have glass beads in the hop bag but I guess I need more then.

Yes I did and that is also what is in my mind as to were it may have came from... Well it looks like 5 more gallons of sour IPA for me...

Back