What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New forward sealing stainless faucets with flow control and the newish Tapcooler counter pressure filler that attaches directly to your tap. Here is the video of it if you want to check it out
B9162FDB-092E-45CD-9DF8-C8FD88C7FC39.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my @inkbird infrared thermometer from Amazon. It's a good deal at $23, and it's an even better deal if you take the offered 27% discount by clicking the coupon and using the Inkbird discount code in the Sponsor forum.

It's a hefty little brute, and I expect to get a long and happy life out of it. And it comes with a 9v battery, too.

Nothing! Which is odd, because I ordered over $60 worth of grains from Morebeer 8 days ago yet haven't got a single email about the order. I left a message inquiring about this and hope I don't have to reorder. Oh, well... C'est la vie

Yesterday my Mark's Keg Washer II came in the mail. I haven't opened it yet, but I am looking forward to automating some of the keg and carboy cleaning. Any advice on the operation of this new toy?

A BIAB bag which I will be using in my BIAP (AIO) kettle to brew my first all grain beer. I will use the BAG as a socket to the grain basket, only during mashing, as an insurance against pump failure. This thing is late... did not receive it yet!

Also waiting from China (Aliexpress) a 0,5 micron aeration stone for my oxygen cylinder which is waiting for it. I will also experiment with it with CO2 for the next bottling session.

In the meanwhile, I bottled today and I will distill a couple of stripping run tomorrow. Waiting is the boring part of the hobby.

Nothing! Which is odd, because I ordered over $60 worth of grains from Morebeer 8 days ago yet haven't got a single email about the order. I left a message inquiring about this and hope I don't have to reorder. Oh, well... C'est la vie

Sorry to hear that. That isn’t consistent with the order I just placed. I placed an order late in the day on the 12th and it was on my doorstep on the 15th from the California warehouse to northeast Colorado.

Edit:
I will note that is the fastest service I’ve ever received from them. I had a 3 1/2+ week lag on a couple orders last summer.

Last edited:
I measured the post, it's the 3/4" spray ball?

I can't figure this one out. I also measured the post and it's 3/4" but I went with a recommendation here and got the 1/2" (Amazon site confirmed this is what I ordered). I also checked the side of the unit and it has 1/2" SS304 engraved on it.

I also see that there is an article on Homebrew Finds Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer Mod – Adding a Stainless Steel CIP Spray Ball

You might want to email the manufacturer for clarification. I really don't want to recommend the incorrect size.

Last edited:
Mine is apparently lost in the mail. And it's not the first time. Last summer, I ordered something from Amazon, the tracking number said it was on time, until it wasn't. A week later, it arrived in Anchorage, Alaska. I'm in New Hampshire. This order said it was due on 1/16/21. It left the facility in Connecticut on the 16th, but where did it go to? I've been told that I have to wait a week to report it missing. Damn USPS.

1/2tsp of white table sugar (or brown sugar) per 12oz bottle instead of carb drops (see my signature for linked thread).
Hi twisted Gray. Should I follow the instructions to the letter ( from Coopers tin) or can you recommend anything else I should do or add

Hi twisted Gray. Should I follow the instructions to the letter ( from Coopers tin) or can you recommend anything else I should do or add
I recommend following the recipe (not necessarily the instructions) the first time you brew. On the next batch you can change/add 1 thing. For instance, my first brew was a cream ale. I bottled half to recipe then added some bourbon vanilla extract to the other half. After they carbed I tasted them side-by-side so I could see exactly what difference it made. FWIW, the plain version was much better fresh - the vanilla version took another month before the flavors melded together right.

The instructions on a lot of those kits generally suck though, calling for secondaries and such that really aren't needed.

Last edited:
I recommend following the recipe (not necessarily the instructions) the first time you brew. On the next batch you can change/add 1 thing. For instance, my first brew was a cream ale. I bottled half to recipe then added some bourbon vanilla extract to the other half. After they carbed I tasted them side-by-side so I could see exactly what difference it made. FWIW, the plain version was much better fresh - the vanilla version took another month before the flavors melded together right.

The instructions on a lot of those kits generally suck though, calling for secondaries and such that really aren't needed.
Ah thanks for that!
Have read people adding molasses or expresso coffee. So wanted a bit of a steer in right direction

Should I follow the instructions to the letter ( from Coopers tin)
Just looked up their instructions and they are surprisingly good. The only part I'd question is fermenting at 21C. I don't know what yeast they are using but I prefer most of my ale yeasts at 17-18C as it lowers the chance of overflowing the fermentor. Also, the yeast will create their own heat so the beer itself will be considerably warmer then the 'room'. 17-18C keeps it from warming into the range where ester production ramps up. If you prefer an estery stout, 21C is probably better for you, just make sure you have plenty of headspace.

Pair of 5/8 barb ball lock QDs.
Now I'll have the last hose I need for summer chilling. Gonna do the chill on groundwater to 100⁰ and then switch to pumping out of my old keggle filled with ice water to finish. (I'll let groundwater replace what's leaving it as it goes)
I haven't tried this yet, but I've seen guys talk about doing similar setups. This is with a SS cfc btw. I used to feed my newer 50' ss IC from my original 25' copper IC sitting in a bucket of ice. It's crazy how many times I've replaced everything in my setup. Smh...

@bleme - we're just referring to the carbonating in bottles (not changing the recipe and/or instructions related to the brewing process)

I'd follow the brewing instructions, but I would not use carbonation drops. I mean you already bought them, so you might as well, but know that there is a simpler, cheaper method that works (some say better) than the drops.

You could alternatively bottom half with the drops and half with the sugar as noted in my method (signature) and compare the two methods...nothing wrong with that approach.

@bleme - we're just referring to the carbonating in bottles (not changing the recipe and/or instructions related to the brewing process)

I'd follow the brewing instructions, but I would not use carbonation drops. I mean you already bought them, so you might as well, but know that there is a simpler, cheaper method that works (some say better) than the drops.

You could alternatively bottom half with the drops and half with the sugar as noted in my method (signature) and compare the two methods...nothing wrong with that approach.
Twisted Grey as I'm very much new to all of this and the site. Where would I find your signature method??
Apologies if this is a daft question

Twisted Grey as I'm very much new to all of this and the site. Where would I find your signature method??
Apologies if this is a daft question

Click this link - Individual Bottle Priming Instructions with Cane Sugar

Note: also worth noting...if you want to tag someone, as you tried, you would do this instead: Type the @ symbol then start typing someone's name. It will autopopulate with members that fit that and then click the appropriate one. I noticed you tried to tag me, and it didn't work because you didn't use the @ symbol (and, you have the spelling wrong anyways, lol). You can also just click the "Reply" button in the lower right corner of a post.

NOTHING!!
But I am waiting for a new burner, refractometer, Foam stoppers and some odds and ends for the keezer and faucets.

I can't figure this one out. I also measured the post and it's 3/4" but I went with a recommendation here and got the 1/2" (Amazon site confirmed this is what I ordered). I also checked the side of the unit and it has 1/2" SS304 engraved on it.

I also see that there is an article on Homebrew Finds Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer Mod – Adding a Stainless Steel CIP Spray Ball

You might want to email the manufacturer for clarification. I really don't want to recommend the incorrect size.

1/2" pipe thread is 1/2" inside diameter of the pipe bore, not the diameter of the threaded part. The threaded parts of my 1/2" QD to male NPT has a measured diameter of 20mm to 21mm depending where on the taper I measure.

Last edited:
1/2" pipe thread is 1/2" inside diameter of the pipe bore, not the diameter of the threaded part. The threaded parts of my 1/2" QD to male NTP has a measured diameter of 20mm to 21mm depending where on the taper I measure.

Thank you, that is very helpful as I am not familiar with plumbing designations/terminology! I can replace parts, but I can't tell you anything about them ;).

Latest posts

Back