What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three new-to-me hops arrived. Now I gotta figure out each one's character set...
View attachment 713463
I did a Maris Otter/Azacca SMaSH that was one of the most amazing Pale Ales/IPA I have brewed yet. I think I drank 5 gallons in about a week. 5.5-6%ABV, 1 oz@60, 1oz@15, 1oz@WP, 1oz@DH, CaAle Yeast at about 65F for 3 days and then into the keg with the DH for spunding. Have fun!

22FA77D5-6D29-4088-BD33-A577A7C4D893.jpeg

I just smoked 3# of malt for my upcoming Porter. Smoked beer can be surprisingly good.
What wood did you use? I missed my opportunity to attempt to smoke malt last year, but I have some apple wood that might be nice and isn’t available from maltsters as far as I know.

I used Applewood since it's available at Ralph's (Kroger). I use a Little Chief cold smoker, trays made of foil with holes poked in them to let moisture drip and smoke to rise. I usually smoke the malt all day, add the Irish Whiskey-soaked wood 3-4 times over the course of the day, dry it out overnight in the oven (170F) then let it rest in the keezer for a couple weeks or more. I only smoke the dark malts for this porter.

I really don't like the choices at my LHBS, so I always smoke my own malt.
I think the Surgeon General is trying to discourage that... although I believe it's legal in all 50 states.

As for me, I got 10 feet of new silicone tubing for racking and bottling to make sanitizing easier, a box of wingnut clamps to make sanitizing easier, and a quart of Star San to ... well, make sanitizing easier.

and since I've seen @bracconiere post about his scale so many times,

i think you'll love it. just casual glance when pouring. 0.1 is a 6 pack, and the suns gravity is 0.4oz...but you'll know for sure if you lose even an ounce overnight.

(works great for burst carbing too, i find 1.2oz's into the keg, and it can be on tap in couple hours, or when cold. YMMV on that, sometimes i seem to have more protein and it takes overnight to settle)

edit: wait that box says i can set this thing to grams? now i gotta see that ! that would be awesome!

edit: #2: holy jesus, it does...i have 18kg512g's with regulator and stuff....damn now i can have fun watching it go down for every other pour 1 gram, lol now if anything even burps in the kegerator, i'm on it!

edit: well i put a 5gram weight on it it registered 6 gram increase...still say for $25 and 110lb load limit pretty good. but it is less acurate without weight on it. so don't tare it.

Last edited:
Ditto, but not as much. I brewed yesterday, so I got a starter going on Wednesday.
There was no action as of Thursday morning so I put in an order for a pack of SO-5. It arrived soon after I finished up brew day. Tossed that pack in along with some of the starter for good measure.
|Not much going on yet, but it is cool down there. I won't worry unless I get to Monday with nothing.

Back