What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C45EEFCF-B78C-4FC9-9FE9-EA9F1707B5C8.jpeg
Birthday Beer Box from @jaymosbeershack came Thursday

Last edited:
Looks great. I plan to brew mine soon, but I'll practice the magnet trick first. I'll try it with my fermenter empty and 2 1/2 oz of dry cat food in place of the hops.

Here's my original attempt at this back in October, but with dry hopping done in the keg instead.
View attachment 685683
So now it's magnets AND cat food???😵😵😵. That's gotta be wrong and illegal no matter what quadrant your in!!!!
@seanjwalker1 I thought I'd give you an update since you commented way back. I used this method with the magnets, (but with hops, not cat food this time) to dry hop in the fermenter, oxygen-free. Seemed to work fine as I heard the gentle splash when I pulled the magnets from the top of the fermenter on Tuesday. The ipa, hopped with galaxy, citra, and Idaho7 hops, smelled like a peach grove. I moved it to a keg two days later and it's in the fridge now getting cold. I'll put it on gas tomorrow, and hopefully pull my first pint on Sunday. Thinking of naming it Magnets and Miracles IPA.

The best thing about astronomy is it makes nearly all other legitimate hobbies look cheap.

I got 200gm of Sabro hops in this week. Never used them and wondering Pale ale or IPA?
Lol yes it does. The brewing equipment I could have bought for the price of this mount!! But I have loved astronomy for about 30 years longer than the 16 years I've been brewing!

One pound each of Hallertau Blanc, GR Mittelfruh, and Lemon Drop hops from HopsDirect arrived yesterday. YVH doesn't carry the Lemon Drop (they are usually my go-to for hops) and I didn't want to pay twice for shipping; HD got them here in two days (bonus of living in the same state). We had a Lemon Drop SMaSH in Boise, husband is gung ho for me to try making one at home; needed the Blanc and Mittelfruh for the House WF Lager that will get brewed next weekend. Gotta get the pipeline full again!

I had been reading up on gluco amylase , my brews usually finish up at 1.008 to 1.012 sg , they taste great but would like to finish lower, about 1.004. , glucoamylase is added the mash I believe?

i never would have thought someone else would want low cal beer, besides me!

no it goes in the fermenter with the yeast...will finish at 1.000, brewhaus i've found is the best place to get it....i use 10-15grams in a 10 gallon batch...goes from 6% alcohol to 8% (or so)....with actually a couple less calories for it....if you use enough crystal/dark malt, my taster isn't a pro...but not much noticeable loss in body....

i never would have thought someone else would want low cal beer, besides me!

no it goes in the fermenter with the yeast...will finish at 1.000, brewhaus i've found is the best place to get it....i use 10-15grams in a 10 gallon batch...goes from 6% alcohol to 8% (or so)....with actually a couple less calories for it....if you use enough crystal/dark malt, my taster isn't a pro...but not much noticeable loss in body....
It can also be used in the mash, but like you, I put it in the fermenter when I use it. I've also finished as low as 0.996, but that's without any crystal or roast.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back