What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BC9125DE-C71E-43B5-83DA-0F41A0283597.jpeg

Perfect, I’ve been wanting to brew a wheat wine and barley wine.

I've seen interviews with a few very successful commercial breweries touting it, especially in heavily hopped beers. The only place I've seen it on a homebrew scale is Morebeer, and it ain't cheap!
I've wondered about using this. A bit expensive, but I love to experiment, even if it's just one and done.

Please update with your experiences!

I first came across it when Cloudwater did their review in 2018 of what they would do differently knowing what they now did, compared to when they made their landmark DIPA v3 in 2016. Among various tweaks they were now routinely using 5 grams per 100 litres of ALDC - they've always been very particular about diacetyl/VDKs as one of the original guys was a super-taster thereof.

I've never seen retail packs in the UK, but I know Murphys do it by the litre and most online resources seem to point back to them so that may reflect underlying patterns of distribution, in turn they buy it in from "Denmark" (which I assume means Novozymes, the manufacturing spinout from Novo Nordisk).

Got a keg today but not in the mail. I was riding my bike in a nearby development when I saw a corny keg out of the corner of my eye. Trash Day - one man's trash is another man's treasure! It's in nice condition and holds pressure.

looks like a nice new PRV! score!

I had no issues at all with my pressure test. I put some food grade lube on all of the o-rings and silicone seals and it held 15psi like a champ
I don't understand what I could be doing wrong. It seems to hold pressure decently well if I barely tighten the tri-clamp at the very top but as soon as I try to tighten it it leaks.

One of these things is for beer. View attachment 785788
Both could be for beer. I remember back in the early 2000s I searched high and low for Lyle's Golden and Treacle and couldn't find it anywhere so had to order it from England. Was trying my hand at a true English style Old Ale , Old Theakston. Crashed and burned. As I recall tasted something like burned tires and scorched rubber ash. After waiting a month for the syrups to come all that way...I think I have them still , shoved down in an old box in a forgotten corner of the garage

Both could be for beer. I remember back in the early 2000s I searched high and low for Lyle's Golden and Treacle and couldn't find it anywhere so had to order it from England. Was trying my hand at a true English style Old Ale , Old Theakston. Crashed and burned. As I recall tasted something like burned tires and scorched rubber ash. After waiting a month for the syrups to come all that way...I think I have them still , shoved down in an old box in a forgotten corner of the garage
You've got to be really careful with (dark) treacle, a little goes a very long way. Golden syrup is great though, in desserts and beer.

Now's the traditional time of year for parkin, which uses both and is delicious :
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/parkin
My understanding is that these days the cheapest place for USians to get them is from the retailers that cater to British expats - there even seems to be one selling through walmart.com these days, or Amazon.

Although the markups still seem huge - we pay about US$1.70 for a 16oz tin, looks like you guys are paying $6-7 or so.

You've got to be really careful with (dark) treacle, a little goes a very long way. Golden syrup is great though, in desserts and beer.

Now's the traditional time of year for parkin, which uses both and is delicious :
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/parkin
My understanding is that these days the cheapest place for USians to get them is from the retailers that cater to British expats - there even seems to be one selling through walmart.com these days, or Amazon.

Although the markups still seem huge - we pay about US$1.70 for a 16oz tin, looks like you guys are paying $6-7 or so.
It was such a horrible concoction I made with the Lyle's and Treacle I was emotionally damaged to ever have the courage to try it again 😂. It's been quite awhile so I may have a go at it again ..some day...or year

Carey was supposed to be in Cleveland, with the Hot In C. girls. That's the opposite corner of Ohio from where I am.
Didn't the Cuyahoga River light on fire at one point in Cleveland from all the pollution? I remember reading something about that I think?

Edit: Ah, here we go Smithsonian Mag Link to Article lol.

Last edited:
Another link in the chain closed!! After searching for some time for Bevlex 200 in the 3/8" size in Canada with no luck, I contacted the manufacturer (Accuflex) who hooked me up with greenlinehose.com that carries it here: https://www.greenlinehose.com/buy/product/g902-038-063/97878?text=G902
..but it doesn't say 'Bevlex' in the listing... it still is. :)
100' of 3/8" Bevlex 200 for all my transfer hoses and no more yellowing brittle vinyl junk!!
IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

My sister in law wants me to make some hard cider for her wedding, so that's finally given me the excuse to spend my weekend setting the kegerator up.

Last edited:
Got a fancy new sample valve for the unitank. Supposed to offer a more gradual and controllable flow. Might come in handy if we ever decide to use the tank as a serving vessel too.

Also expecting about 75 lbs of assorted malts sometime today to top off our inventory. And a couple lbs of this year's Mosaic and Citra harvest from Yakima.

Once you get locked into a serious ingredient collection, the tendency is to take it as far as you can.
51XOsQIRqSL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Latest posts

Back