What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked it enough to have read it twice haha. So yes, some people do dig it. I suppose you're not inclined to continue with Rand, but I also really liked The Fountainhead.

Spot on. It's a book written for idealogues I guess. I really liked all the characters in Atlas. Dagney was a bit weird, but I'm sure Rand patterned her after her own heroic image of herself. I loved the mystery of the $ cigarettes, disappearing barons of industry, the attack on the looters of the world, the "invention", and the finale.

I thought The Fountainhead was a much tighter book. Which is odd to say because it's still 750 pages lol. But while it might not be as developed as an ideological treatise, it's a much better novel. Of course, I'm the son of an architect, so maybe that has something to do with it lol...

Atlas is just SO much more heavy-handed. I think Rand wrote it to be the defining book promoting her philosophy, and so the mission creep of making sure the philosophy was what she wanted it to be meant that it was too long and much less well constructed as a novel.

Don't get me wrong... I've also read it twice. I think its good outweighs the bad. But I honestly think it could be a lot better if you trimmed 500+ pages out of it and improved the writing. And that would make it more effective at what Rand wanted, i.e. promoting her philosophy, because fewer people would either be put off by the length or get tired of the book because the first 600 pages are really, well, slow.

Having finally finished a comparison between the Book of Genesis as presented in the Bible vs a mush older version written in cuneiform by the Assyrians, I'm reading something a little lighter now: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Book by Yuval Noah Harari

Without delving into the religion bit, the whole second half of the book is profound, regarding the power of myth that has allowed us to develop a society.

In fact, I might write a post about it [in the debate forum] to illustrate how so much of what we think is completely important in our modern society is simply made up and doesn't, you know, objectively exist. But because enough of us accept the myths, we [mostly] have a stable, peaceful, prosperous world.

What separates us from a Hobbesian state of nature is the fact that we willingly believe in things that don't exist. When you point out that they don't exist, people get VERY uncomfortable. It really kinda shakes their entire worldview. Which is why, if I write that post, it'll be in the debate forum lol.

Without delving into the religion bit, the whole second half of the book is profound, regarding the power of myth that has allowed us to develop a society.

In fact, I might write a post about it [in the debate forum] to illustrate how so much of what we think is completely important in our modern society is simply made up and doesn't, you know, objectively exist. But because enough of us accept the myths, we [mostly] have a stable, peaceful, prosperous world.

What separates us from a Hobbesian state of nature is the fact that we willingly believe in things that don't exist. When you point out that they don't exist, people get VERY uncomfortable. It really kinda shakes their entire worldview. Which is why, if I write that post, it'll be in the debate forum lol.
I'm pretty sure the topics you'd discuss (religion, nationalism, etc). Good luck with all of that haha.

I read Atlas Shrugged the first time I was in college. It's not a novel, it's a treatise, so it definitely fails as a novel. Just like the novel "The Jungle" by Sinclair isn't a novel either, but a treatise.

I just read The Jungle a few weeks ago (also for the local village banned book club) and hated it. Hated Atlas too, but did agree with SOME of it's premise.

So far in our banned book club we also read:
Catch 22. First time I read it I was in a foxhole. I loved it back then. Now, decades later, not so much... a bit annoying actually. I found it manic, whiny, and full of illogical drama for no other reason than to demonstrate stress and trauma.

Tom Sawyer. LOVED it. I hate the "N" word as much as anyone, but to ban this book and call Twain a racist when he spent his entire life calling out racism... it's just ridiculous.

To Kill a mockingbird. I liked it. Not as much as I liked it as a kid. Probably because today I look at literature as art and can be a bit critical of structure. I can only imagine it was banned by racists.

Charlotte's Web. I don't know how I missed this as a kid. It's definitely art. Well structured, emotional, and obviously written by someone that loved everybody and everything. Even his passages about manure piles were charming. I had no idea why it was banned so I looked it up. It seems like talking animals and death were WAY too much for some Christians back in the day. I'm a Christian, but stuff like this is why "Heavenly Father please protect me from yer followers" is a standard prayer for me.

Been awhile since I viewed this thread. Saw the post above, and just reread To kill a mockingbird as the play is coming to town here. Yeah, the language is bad, but have to remember the timeframe of the story and when it was written. Still a good book.

Just started "Silent Patient" and it came highly rated by people whose book opinions I trust. Still to early in it to give an opinion though.

I may have already posted his but I am reading Chernow’s Hamilton biography.

I don’t know why I insist on reading these things. They make me feel like an absolute ant descended from giants.
Agree. Our predecessors seemed to have a common civility and eloquence that is rare today. Maybe that's just in the stories, but I wonder. I'm sure any statue of Hamilton has been torn down by now. (don't get me started ABG, I know this is a trigger haha).

Agree. Our predecessors seemed to have a common civility and eloquence that is rare today. Maybe that's just in the stories, but I wonder. I'm sure any statue of Hamilton has been torn down by now. (don't get me started ABG, I know this is a trigger haha).
Haha apparently this is no longer the place. 🤣

I think our predecessors and the founding fathers believed strongly in an adversarial system where you could confront an opponent and debate an issue without stooping to hatred and violence. Both our courts and our legislative chambers are built on this. Healthy confrontation without meaningless antagonism. We have strayed extremely far from this. The prosecution and the defense should be equally matched and the judge and jury should weigh their arguments without prejudice. In legislative chambers there SHOULD BE an approximate equal representation from all parties. Can we regain civil discourse and respect for our opponents. Maybe not in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I just read "Victory City" by Rushdie. It's the best book I've read in a while.

Layers within layers. Anyone that enjoys a playful and thoughtful use of language should read it.

I think we have some rose-colored glasses when we think back to that era. Some of these guys were absolutely VICIOUS to each other with horrific verbal attacks delivered anonymously/pseudonymously through pamphlets and the newspapers.

An example:

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1156/john-adams
His presidency (1797–1801) was a tragic episode. As a leader among the Federalists, Adams became the subject of scurrilous attacks in Republican newspapers and pamphlets, which portrayed him as a monarchist and an enemy of republican government. They also ridiculed him as being effeminate or a hermaphrodite because of his height and high-pitched voice.

Funny, the last few pages I was reading covered this very issue. Hamilton was considered one of the most vicious of them all, possessing the ability to insult greatly while maintain composure and eloquence in his writing. They certainly weren't more civil, they just expressed themselves differently.

My point was that by their 20's, they'd achieved far more than learned 50 year olds do now.

I think our predecessors and the founding fathers believed strongly in an adversarial system where you could confront an opponent and debate an issue without stooping to hatred and violence. Both our courts and our legislative chambers are built on this. Healthy confrontation without meaningless antagonism. We have strayed extremely far from this. The prosecution and the defense should be equally matched and the judge and jury should weigh their arguments without prejudice. In legislative chambers there SHOULD BE an approximate equal representation from all parties. Can we regain civil discourse and respect for our opponents. Maybe not in my lifetime.
Sadly so. I wonder how we’ll ever extract ourselves from this morass. In the 1860s it led to a civil war. Some wish for a bloody repeat. Santayana’s dictum is frighteningly predictive.

Bout halfway through War & Peace, just about to finish Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and about halfway through Leaders Eat Last.

Glad to see so many readers!

I just finished:

Doctors and Distillers: The Remarkable Medicinal History of Beer, Wine, Spirits, and Cocktails

Screenshot_20230430-212535.png

Nothing profound, but an interesting little read. Plus cocktail recipes :bott:

I'm currently finishing this gem, this has been a great series for me. I'm not normally into the super hero thing, but this is very good.
618FIhsE5cS.jpg

I read Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" recently, and am looking forward to starting the 2nd book in the "Terminal List" series.

Sort of looking for some adventure type books if anyone has any fresh ideas? I love books on sailing, exploration, fiction or non fiction.

Happy reading, I'm headed to my Airbnb today for 2 weeks, hoping to get some rest and reading in between fresh coats of paint and working from home.

I just finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and started the sequel Bring Up the Bodies.
Very good historical fiction covering the English Reformation and Henry VIII

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. It's the first Tommy & Tuppence mystery, but it's almost more interesting for what it reveals about Christie's political assumptions than for the actual plot.

Reading a Biography written by Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and formerly Nirvana. Good book. Started slow, but now that he is in the Nirvana era it has picked up a bit. I also like Dean Koontz and Stephen King. I have read some John Grisham and have enjoyed his writing as well.

I'm currently finishing this gem, this has been a great series for me. I'm not normally into the super hero thing, but this is very good.
618FIhsE5cS.jpg

I read Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" recently, and am looking forward to starting the 2nd book in the "Terminal List" series.

Sort of looking for some adventure type books if anyone has any fresh ideas? I love books on sailing, exploration, fiction or non fiction.

Happy reading, I'm headed to my Airbnb today for 2 weeks, hoping to get some rest and reading in between fresh coats of paint and working from home.

For adventure, perhaps Skeletons on the Zaraha. Loved that. Amazon.com: Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival eBook : King, Dean: Kindle Store

I recently read a book about Captain James Cook. It was good. Amazon.com: Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook eBook : Dugard, Martin: Kindle Store

If you want something a little surreal, a little scarey, but pretty awesome, this (loads of seafaring commentary) [edit: it's looong]: The Terror: A Novel - Kindle edition by Simmons, Dan. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Last edited:
Currently reading "Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls". The author is brilliant. The way he aligns the scrolls with first century Christianity is fascinating. Bergsma is proof positive of that old saying: "He's forgotten more of this subject than I'll ever know."

Im reading "The words of my perfect teacher" in the German translation, which is not that well translated. I'm going to buy the English version which should be a bit better. Can't wait till I'm able to read the original in Tibetan.

I just finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and started the sequel Bring Up the Bodies.
Very good historical fiction covering the English Reformation and Henry VIII

I just plowed through the Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett, patiently waiting for the next release in September. I'll check into this one!

Currently on Project Hail Mary, it has been a fun read so far.

For adventure, perhaps Skeletons on the Zaraha. Loved that. Amazon.com: Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival eBook : King, Dean: Kindle Store

I recently read a book about Captain James Cook. It was good. Amazon.com: Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook eBook : Dugard, Martin: Kindle Store

If you want something a little surreal, a little scarey, but pretty awesome, this (loads of seafaring commentary) [edit: it's looong]: The Terror: A Novel - Kindle edition by Simmons, Dan. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Just finished Skeletons on the Zahara, what an amazing story. I'm sure reading Captain Riley's memoir would be good, but I loved the more complete story, and how it was laced with modern scientific facts.

Read A Man Called Ove in July, now ready to see Tom Hanks version.. the book was almost ditched but my wife convinced me to get past the first half. I am glad I stuck it out.

I'm on book 7 of the Sword of Truth series and while the abundance of descriptors can be tedious the story keeps moving at a decent pace.

Read A Man Called Ove in July, now ready to see Tom Hanks version.. the book was almost ditched but my wife convinced me to get past the first half. I am glad I stuck it out.

I'm on book 7 of the Sword of Truth series and while the abundance of descriptors can be tedious the story keeps moving at a decent pace.
Sword of Truth was the first fantasy series I ever read, and I loved it. It does get rough after Chainfire though.

Latest posts

Back