What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Baltic Porter:
67BF16DE-230A-413D-A5E4-81DD507D69F3.jpeg

Delicious, but at nearly 10% ABV I can’t have too much!

Licorice and leather? Likely brown malt.

It's the wonder malt (that nobody likes) that does wonders.
I stumbled onto brown malt as a complete brewing noob thinking “hey, that must be how brown ales and porters are made” then looked up recipes after the fact and none of them used it. I love the stuff.

I stumbled onto brown malt as a complete brewing noob thinking “hey, that must be how brown ales and porters are made” then looked up recipes after the fact and none of them used it. I love the stuff.
Given that the West Coast's "more is more" philosophy of brewing eventually grew to dominate the US approach to brewing, it has been a tricky malt for US brewers to wrap their heads around. It doesn't play well with brewing schema that trace their roots back to the old heavy-handed NW tradition of 10+% crystal and all the C-hops you can get your mits on.

Brown malt doesn't play nicely with the "more is more" approach to brewing.

Is it any good? But then how do you judge vodka? should taste like nothing right ? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ I have no idea about real booze. Just brewhahaha
It's ok. Vodka does have subtle flavors. The good versions have a good finishing mouthfeel. I don't usually like wheat versions which this is. They just released a rye which I'm sure you could pick up the rye spiciness. My fav vodkas in order are potato, rye and wheat.

I got the gin waiting on deck.

The coffee Kola was good.

Last edited:
It's ok. Vodka does have subtle flavors. The good versions have a good finishing mouthfeel. I don't usually like wheat versions which this is. They just released a rye which I'm sure you could pick up the rye spiciness. My fav vodkas in order are potato, rye and wheat.

I got the gin waiting on deck.

The coffee Kola was good.
My experience agrees. Vodka has many tastes and feels.

I've spent some time in the far west of Russia. As you would expect, in a country that maintains a policy of state-sponsored alcoholism for nearly two-hundred years, I politely had more than a few shots of vodka. Some of it reeked of higher alcohols and was barely fit for human consumption. It was awful. Nevertheless, some of it is amazing! It's not so much that it had a taste, but, rather, it left an impression. Various shades of earthiness and grainy-ness. I'm not too big into shots, but I did leave Russia with an appreciation for vodka.

There's more to it than ethanol, water, and slick marketing.

But I'd rather have a beer.

More Belgian Dark doing mead research. Mine have always been mediocre. Maybe because I can't wait an entire human generation to drink them?? 🤔

Note: They mentioned using FedEx to ship to each other, on a public media forum. How times have changed eh, @TwistedGray?

View attachment 768784

Keep up with your nutrients and it’s ready in a month. I’m sure you’ve seen Brays One Month Mead.

OT: hoppy lager, but not a cold IPA

2EC3E089-F159-4375-9DC8-2FCCD43CECA9.jpeg

A well deserved Fiden’s after this pain in the a$$ is finally finished lol View attachment 768836
I remember building one of those 9-10 years ago. I was just saying to myself my kids are nearing the age they don’t want to play with it anymore. Sad when a chapter closes but it’s nice when a new open opens.
Cheers bud!

Back