What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local craft brewery just opened in downtown Eagle, ID less than a half mile from our house. Gem State Brewery. This is their Haze Daze hazy IPA. Or maybe it’s called Haze for Daze IPA. Either way, it’s good!
IMG_6286.jpeg

Last edited:
Once again, we seek answer to the perennial question – Is Bigger Better? Let’s think about that one a bit while I glug on this 9% ABV Imperial IPA from 21st Amendment Brewing, San Leandro, California! How is it I missed this one, I just drank a San Leandro brew a few days ago. They have more breweries? Awesome!

Tall Hat IPA is another in the continuing line of Beefy 9-10% ABV IPA’s. Attention all brewers, you don’t need to do this. I gave it a shot and tried to chug this, absolutely impossible without watering down with my favorite IPA Mixer, Coors Light. Now it comes in at a respectable 6-7% and I can pound this like yesterday’s IPA business, and honestly, this one is better that way.

So are we going to answer the BIG the question above? Nah, I’ll just continue to chug this lighter IPA and keep pondering. Cheers!

IMG_6571.jpeg
IMG_6575.jpeg

Last edited:
I took some time away from brewing to catch up on life, and ran out. Finally got a few batches brewed. This is still a little green, but WAY better than store-bought. Chocolate Milk Stout. Rich, thick tan head, chocolate and lactose are just right. Overall, very tasty, but won't last long enough to age. :rock:

Attachments

• 20240112_202518.jpg
    20240112_202518.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
HB "Figgy Pudding" Christmas Stout. Haven't got the flow control quite dialed in on the Nukatap mini just yet. I think I was a little heavy handed with the cinnamon and nutmeg, but it's pretty tasty anyway. And way too easy to drink at something north of 9% ABV.

1705115746932.jpeg
Maybe I'll get it right next year.

Karl Strauss Brewing Company has been around quite a while. They are another of the San Diego brew houses that put the area on the West Coast beer map, since 1989. I’ve eaten and drank beers at their brewery restaurants a number of times, they always have some trendy eats and great beers on tap!

Comparing their current IPA lineup to some of the others on the market I’ve had recently, I’m struck that Karl Strauss seems to be the adult in the room. Their IPA’s are all appear to be brewed for drinkability in mind. I could glug down any of these 4 current beers in 3 or 4 big gulps. Delicious! Try that with some of the other heavies out there…. No way! Lined up from a low 7% ABV to a high of 7.3% ABV we have:

Tangible IPA – A Tangerine-like 7% ABV West Coast style IPA, made with Chinook, Cascade, Crystal and Columbus hops, plus Tangerine Puree…. Delicious!

Aurora Hoppyalis – Another delicious 7% ABV West Coaster, this time brewed with Simcoe, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra hops – I think some of these base beers might be similar with simple changes to the hopping profile – I love the piney Simcoe on the end - Also delicious!

Boat Shoes Hazy IPA – Well, I suppose we need to satisfy the Cup-O-Mud crowd with a Hazy 7.2% ABV NEIPA. Why I’m still trying to figure out, the clear ones are so pretty. Nevertheless, it is citrusy and fruity, light and spritzy.

Tower X West Coast IPA – At 7.3% ABV this really shows the restraint of the Karl Strauss brewers. 7.3% is plenty, and this Westie doesn’t disappoint. Pine and Citrus, great beer.

My money’s on Aurora Hoppyalis, run down to the gas station before everyone else finds out! Cheers!

IMG_6584.jpeg

Let's add the Central Texas allergies (aka Cider Fever) in the mix (draining from every orifice!) After 2yrs of planning an early retirement wife is thinking about staying in Austin (3yrs more working) ....you got to be kidding me! All this deserves another beer!

1705253201171755571446318509956.jpg

Last edited:
Back