What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-15° F for the fourth night in a row, so a stout sounds good.
IMG_1680.jpeg

Based on the game I assume the first one was way better than the second.
When you blend a bunch of fruit together you can’t really go wrong. Is it my thing, not really but I do enjoy them occasionally. I can’t justify spending $24/4-pack or more on them but when I get a can in a make your own 6-pack for $12, then I’ll give them a shot.
The first one was cherry forward. The second one was lemon & lime forward.
The Eagles looked bad last night when enjoying those.

Poured the first bottle of HB Kolsch. Not too bad and it had good Kolsch-like qualities. Malty, with that hint of winey sweetness. More time in the fridge should help clear it up. Kolsch yeasts are notorious for low floc (I used Lalbrew Koln, which, sadly is being discontinued).

Poured the first bottle of HB Kolsch. Not too bad and it had good Kolsch-like qualities. Malty, with that hint of winey sweetness. More time in the fridge should help clear it up. Kolsch yeasts are notorious for low floc (I used Lalbrew Koln, which, sadly is being discontinued).

View attachment 839299
I was hoping to try the Lalbrew Koln in an upcoming brew; have heard good things about it; I'll have to pick up a pack.

It’s not often I combine reviews, but these two IPA’s are “Out of this World”. Of course I’m referring to these two great Outer-Space themed IPAs both domiciled in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. These were personally brought to me by my Doctor Daughter on her recent trip Westward to compete with the beer Mecca in California. I think she wanted to show off the local’s beer brewing skills, we know all about the stills and Whisky in the Carolinas. Great Idea!

First up is Buzzed Aldrin, brewed by Fiddlin' Fish Brewing in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It’s a 7.2% West Coast style IPA – but get this hop mix: Apollo and Galaxy! This is a great IPA, with a tropical fruitiness; Mango, Papaya and Pineapple. As they say on the can “and enough gravity to bring you back down to Earth!” My kind of OG beer and I don’t mean Original Gravity!

Up second but not playing Second Fiddle to Fiddlin' Fish is Winston-Salem’s own Wise Man Brewing Company’s “Essence of the Universe” Cold IPA. Cold IPA’s are a new hitch in the IPA story, but they don’t get any colder than in space! This Westie is also made with space-themed hops Comet, Mosaic and one of my fav’s, Simcoe, this 6.8% Wise Man won’t keep you in the dark!

I guess some of this must be inspired by Elysian Space Dust, I really enjoy the themes…. 10… 9… 8… 7… Chug!

IMG_6602.jpeg

Last edited:
Gluten free SMaSH with HBC 1019 and a new experimental rice malt. This is a potent and interesting hop. Yakima says "With notes of coconut, Valencia oranges, caramelized bananas, peaches, and honeydew melon." I definitely agree with the oranges, coconut & peach. The coconut is very creamy and less woody than Sabro. This would be great with some good Galaxy!

20240116_190917.jpg

This was a quick 1-gallon MoreBeer Citra Pale Ale kit I finally got around to brewing right before Christmas. Extract, 30-minute boil, and came out absolutely amazing. A bit of chill haze and it's only been in the keg a week, but low effort with fantastic results is definitely a big win with this one. :) Cheers all!
PXL_20240116_001902496.PORTRAIT.jpg

Day 15 of the January IPA Extravaganza brings us this tasty IPA from Smog City Brewing Company, Torrance, California. Since arriving on the beer scene in 2011, Smog City has put out a number of fantastic brews, and their IPA hits the mark dead-center.

This is a terrific and easy-drinking 7.2% ABV IPA using Citra, Simcoe and Centennial hops. Fantastic head, great lacing. Really a great India Pale Ale, and the can graphics are the best I’ve seen all year!

Great job in all ways, you will enjoy this!

View attachment 839211View attachment 839212
It's funny, they are right around the corner and I would only go there because the wife loved their grapefruit Belgian. They had a sign, "No IPA's Ever," or some such nonsense; they make some of the best IPA's I have ever had.

Then again, what do you expect from a Theologian?

View attachment 839324Today marks my 1 year anniversary at my job. I was forced to find something new and this was truly a blessing in disguise. Thanks @jerbrew for this beer pulled from the cellar to celebrate this occasion. 🍻

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary at the new, better job!

When I went to physical therapy for my shoulder yesterday morning it was -22° at 8 AM. Now we’re getting warmer. It feels better.

Interesting that this cold snap has hit harder a few states to my south. The overnight lows in my part of the Twin Cities never dropped below -10. Still cold af.

Supposed to warm up into the 30s here next week.

Back