What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there in early July visiting a good buddy from grad school days. I think we visited the brewery every day of my 3-day trip. He was very cool to indulge me as he’s not a big beer dude. I really enjoyed being there around this time of day, but would have liked the chance to order 1-2 more beers. I totally get their serving limit though for non-beer obsessives.

I wanna five finger that giant Julius can on the first tee :) They really did a good job on the clubhouse. Hard to leave and not lounge around. Hopefully the neighborhood around it will build up. We also have byo restaurants around here. Not sure if any are close to tewksbury.

I was just talking with a buddy that's going to visit Charlton for this time this week. I advised him to take the mass pike passed it. Really dangerous crossover from the other direction.

Within an hour news was reporting a passengers in a car and a motorcyclist died close to the entrance. Not sure if alcohol was good involved.

TGIF?

IMG_3232.jpeg

image.jpg
Dinner beer.
I’m flying out to Dallas, TX tomorrow. Does anyone know of any good bottle shops in the downtown Dallas area worth going for some local craft beers? Or any good breweries that also serve food would be a plus. I may be able to convince my coworkers to go out to a brewery one night.
I’ll be there for work next week so I doubt I’ll get to venture out too much.

Last edited:
How are you getting yours that clear? Here is my German Pils that I brewed in March, lagered til the end of June and its been on tap at 35 degees F in my kegerator since June. Almost the exact same glass. I use whirlfloc at the end of the boil and I even have a corny keg with a floating dip tube.

Are you doing some kind of filtration? I’ve taken photos of my beers beside commercial beers and you can definitely see the difference filtration makes. (Low head because I spent way too much time trying to get a decent photo)

View attachment 828734

#$(#*%$

I just spent the last two hours writing you a titanic wall of text explaining the Panther Piss project and how I get clear beer in three weeks. While saving, I accidentally hit paste instead of save. Poof!!!!

Gone.

I'll PM you a big wall of text next week.

We'll get you brewing gin-clear lager by November.

Spent all Thursday guzzling as much water as I could stand, fasting, and trying to create as much piss as I could for the kidney transplant program. My final score was beyond the 6k ml worth of jugs that they gave me.

That's nearly 14lbs of piss, if you're interested.

Damn right I’m proud!

Anyway…

Panther Piss Wipe Yer Butt after crashing and burning on a huge wall of text that I meant to send to bwible.
0B3B0CF1-A99C-4679-981E-8D50CA4F625B.jpeg

This evening’s slug-in-the-jaw comes in the form of Klosterbrauerei Andechs’ Doppblebock Dunkel. For the uninitiated, that means a Dark Double Bock, in other words a heavy brown lager with lots and lots of booze. A strong and alcoholic Dunkel. Andechs advertises this brew at 7.1% - this reminds me of the de-rated V8 horsepower ratings listed during the Muscle Car horsepower wars of the 1960’s-70’s. I’d say this belly warmer is much higher, more like around 9-10%.

A delicious and malty heavy-hitter, Andechs has been brewing this sort of stress reducing liquid pleasure since 1455 at a Benedictine Monastery just outside of Munich. Color is Mahogany going on Walnut, medium carbonation, 16.9 oz / 500 ml bottle.

I poured this about as violently as you can pour a bottle and still no head. Slight amount of disappearing lacing, this Dunkel is for SERIOUS weekend drinking. Buy the 4-pack, tell me about it in the morning.

Bottle is that same dark brown quality glass that Weihenstephaner uses. Also the same bottle as used on Pliny the Elder, and one of my favorites to re-use for bottling my own homebrew in. Real DARK, no skunkers to be found anywhere. Hey – don’t mention that bottle remark to my wife, she’s already on my case about hoarding and not throwing anything away! Delicious!

IMG_5205.jpeg

This evening’s slug-in-the-jaw comes in the form of Klosterbrauerei Andechs’ Doppblebock Dunkel. For the uninitiated, that means a Dark Double Bock, in other words a heavy brown lager with lots and lots of booze. A strong and alcoholic Dunkel. Andechs advertises this brew at 7.1% - this reminds me of the de-rated V8 horsepower ratings listed during the Muscle Car horsepower wars of the 1960’s-70’s. I’d say this belly warmer is much higher, more like around 9-10%.

A delicious and malty heavy-hitter, Andechs has been brewing this sort of stress reducing liquid pleasure since 1455 at a Benedictine Monastery just outside of Munich. Color is Mahogany going on Walnut, medium carbonation, 16.9 oz / 500 ml bottle.

I poured this about as violently as you can pour a bottle and still no head. Slight amount of disappearing lacing, this Dunkel is for SERIOUS weekend drinking. Buy the 4-pack, tell me about it in the morning.

Bottle is that same dark brown quality glass that Weihenstephaner uses. Also the same bottle as used on Pliny the Elder, and one of my favorites to re-use for bottling my own homebrew in. Real DARK, no skunkers to be found anywhere. Hey – don’t mention that bottle remark to my wife, she’s already on my case about hoarding and not throwing anything away! Delicious!

View attachment 828886

Now it's going to be my mission to find a four-pack of this sometime today. I need more emptles for my next batch, that's it! My wife will certainly find that reasoning flawless.

Last edited:
One cool thing about running a bunch of keg lines is the ability to blend beers.

Presenting a short pour of my Double Imperial Triple Chocolate Honey Raspberry Hibiscus Wheat beer! :rock:

View attachment 828894

Actually pretty good!

Cheers!
Like drinking a chocolate covered raspberry jelly ring?

Same beer, different name?
Different recipe. Smooth triples. I liked Riddle better. More citrus. Resolution more tropical

OT: Is it wrong to head all the way up to Maine and have the bartender ask where have I been?

Tributary anniversary party.

The Great One serving
PXL_20230909_181313148.MP.jpg

Pale Ale on cask
PXL_20230909_182058220.jpg
PXL_20230909_182607132.jpg

Mott The Lessor
PXL_20230909_183518283.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230909_182445551.jpg
    PXL_20230909_182445551.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Ok, I confess. We beer people are promiscuous drinkers. We like to play the field a bit with a variety of different beers, guilty as charged. What I wasn’t betting on was a great tasting LIGHT beer from an outfit named Montucky Cold Snacks, out of Bozeman Montana. Beer brewed in LaCrosse Wisconsin for Montucky. Nice fresh lager, about halfway between a Helles and a Pilsner I’d say. $2.99 for a 24 ouncer. That means I’m a cheap date as well!

I’m picking up a touch of caramel in the mid palate, looking at their website says Barley, Hops, Water and Yeast. Huh? Possibly Reinheitsgebot compliant in Bozeman? Now I’m REALLY impressed. 4.1% ABV tells us that the malt is in moderation here. So are the hops, this is a light, but it is balanced. Quarter inch head dissipating quickly, zero lacing. Nice gold color, great value too.

Funny “8% back to local causes” note on the front right about at the spot where you might read “8% alcohol content” on other beers. Nice try!

This bears mentioning – the reason I bought this chugger is that they had it available in single, big cans. Part of satisfying that curiosity is trying a variety of beers, and frankly, I don’t want to lay down $11.99 for a six pack of some strange brew. The singles are great, you can sample them and if they are good, then proceed with a Sixer on the next trip. I think you will enjoy this, it is a step above your typical Saturday lawnmower lager!

IMG_5211.jpeg

Back