What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CF1B0220-3E97-40BB-AEAD-19AECB7B6951.jpeg

Do you know what went wrong? I've done several meads with various levels of success myself.
I assume I've left it on the lees for way too long. It picked up some odd, funky flavours and a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste. I think I'll just leave it in the back of the basement where I forget about it for another year or so, hope time aids it.
I've quite new to meads myself, haven't made anything impressive as of yet. Hope that changes this year.

I assume I've left it on the lees for way too long. It picked up some odd, funky flavours and a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste. I think I'll just leave it in the back of the basement where I forget about it for another year or so, hope time aids it.
I've quite new to meads myself, haven't made anything impressive as of yet. Hope that changes this year.
If you're interested in ideas, PM me. I like high ABV 15%ers myself and have been successful. There's a number of YouTube Mead making videos out there also. Love me some mead!

St Patrick’s Day: Side by side Smithwicks Red Ale and my HB Irish Red Ale. I’m gonna say the Smothwicks has more bitter finish even though the label claims a sweet malt finish. My homebrew (I think I modeled off BYO) has more roasted malt character with a slight dry finish. I was concerned that brown drowned out the red color (red shows in bright light) but mine appears more red than Smithwicks.

All in all I would say my HB passed the test against a commercial Irish Red Ale.

97A53747-6A23-41EC-AFA6-818B5754AC98.jpeg

Last edited:
Micro Burst Hazy IPA by local Banded Peak Brewing, and another sample of my Double AC WCIPA. Still sitting at 1.011 for the third day, so I think I'll keg this weekend! Woohoo!! :cool: Wow, down from 1.072 to 1.011 in 5 days, and clearing even after a big dry hop. I love Lutra!! Happy Friday!:bigmug:

DoubleAC_sample_MicroBurst.jpg

This blend of a quad and a Belgian kreik ale. Slight banana and clove, definitely "Belgian" aroma and taste. They recommend serving at 50*f and as it warms up from fridge temp the cherry starts to come through. Next time I'll let it warm up before starting. Very tasty. 9.7% abv
Had that at the brewery when I was in Cooperstown for induction weekend a few years ago. I want to say that they served it a bit colder than 50F. Quite enjoyed it either way.

Back