What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BC66EDF4-AEA2-461C-BE72-422AADFEF619.jpeg

A 12 BOC. Good Groot.

This time of year makes a great reason to drink the beer left to age. Enjoyed a HB Barley Wine I bottled on 23 April 2020 with the Bacon Boulangère my wife made for Christmas Lunch/Dinner. The Barley Wine is 11kg Maris Otter and 2kg Carapils. Hopped with Apollo for 99 IBU. WLP-099 Yeast. OG 1.103 and FG 1.016. Ended-up at 11.6% ABV. Not sure if the remaining three bottles will make it past 2023.

Merry Christmas All!

IMG_8289.jpg

Drinking my Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout. Despite having the longest name ever, and being a semi-successful first attempt, it's actually good. The brewday had its difficulties, which were lessons learned. Also, in hindsight, I should have used tart cherries instead of sweet as you can barely taste them. They seem to come out more with aging somehow.
  • 7.0kg Simpsons Maris Otter
  • 0.5kg Warminster Crystal
  • 0.5kg Warminster Flaked Malted Oats
  • 0.5kg Weyermann Melanoidin Malt
  • 0.3kg Warminster Chocolate
  • 0.2kg Warminster Roasted Barley
  • 0.1kg Weyermann Carafa Special 3
  • 0.5kg Lactose sugar
  • 570g of Dr. Oetkers (=cheap) cocoa powder in the boil. This was waaaaay too much and ended-up as sludge in the FV and I lost some packaging efficiency. I thought the three containers said 100g and I had my glasses off. My mistake.
  • 1.2kg Frozen dark sweet cherries thawed and mashed in the FV, in a nylon bag.
100g of Fuggles for bittering at 33 IBU. Safale S-04 yeast. OG: 1.090 (assuming 1.093 w/cherries) and FG: 1.025. ABV of 8.9%.

Ended-up with 36 500ml bottles. Bottled 3 February 2021 and have six more aging after this one.

IMG_8290.jpg

View attachment 808829
Enjoying this year more molasses forward right now
I got to do a vertical tasting with these a few months ago with '14, '15, and '16. Then, the owner of the place sat down with us holding a jar of marshmallows and a crack torch. He toasted them on toothpicks, dipped them in the beer and passed them around. Awesome stuff.

Latest posts

Back