What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
164790889781286706070015625862.jpg

The Singleton 12. The Sherry is strong with this one, Lord Vader. Highly recommended on a budget. Any of you home brewers here who have never tried good single malt Scotch, this would be a perfect introduction. It's made from what we all love, high quality malted barley!
20220321_220210.jpg

Last edited:
A nice refreshing 5% blonde from Pure Project (San Diego), called Tropical Mist. It's brewed with fresh Valencia oranges, quite nice.

View attachment 763618
Been to the bottlecraft in little Italy a couple times. Paid too much for a few plineys but it was worth it. Oddly enough I found some heady topper at a bar in chula vista of all places. Bought all they had. First time trying it and found it on the west coast...and it was fresh. Reminded me of TG fire skulls and money

My very first taste of mead other than my own.

View attachment 763650
So how does it rate? I’ve only had maybe one or two in my life that weren’t homebrew. It was a long time ago but I remember the commercial ones I had tasting like any white wine I’d ever had. Really dry, no residual sweetness and no honey flavor. But like I said it was a long time ago. Mead is not really something I see for sale often, even at Total Wine. Unless I’m not looking in the right aisle. It is a big store.

So how does it rate? I’ve only had maybe one or two in my life that weren’t homebrew. It was a long time ago but I remember the commercial ones I had tasting like any white wine I’d ever had. Really dry, no residual sweetness and no honey flavor. But like I said it was a long time ago. Mead is not really something I see for sale often, even at Total Wine. Unless I’m not looking in the right aisle. It is a big store.

I grabbed this one at Total Wine on a shelf with the port, sauternes, etc. Was pleased to see a dry variety among the few sweet ones.

It's...ok. Has some body, has some honey character, nice level of dryness, but there's some off flavor I can't put a name on. Nothing truly offensive, but I'm not likely to buy it again.

I've made one wine strength mead so far and I find it to be more enjoyable than the one I bought. That said, my experience with mead really is virtually nil.

I grabbed this one at Total Wine on a shelf with the port, sauternes, etc. Was pleased to see a dry variety among the few sweet ones.

It's...ok. Has some body, has some honey character, nice level of dryness, but there's some off flavor I can't put a name on. Nothing truly offensive, but I'm not likely to buy it again.

I've made one wine strength mead so far and I find it to be more enjoyable than the one I bought. That said, my experience with mead really is virtually nil.
Me too. I’ve made 3 or 4, mostly using 2 pounds per gallon so I guess those would be considered hydromel? 1.065 ish to 1.000 is about 8.5% so still respectable strength. I’m gathering I need to sorbate and back sweeten with a little more honey to get the character. I have a Joe’s Ancient Orange mead going now, that seems interesting, like it will be different from the others I’ve made. I’m mostly a beer guy I only dabble in mead once in a while.

94FD6888-67F6-40C4-B23F-28C2CC75DC86.jpeg
image.jpg

Doing all of the tourist stuff in Chicago that we never did when we lived in the area. Sky deck yesterday and Museum of Science and Industry today.

One cool thing about this trip is that we’re staying in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home. I’ve read it’s one of the only (or maybe only) that’s available as a rental.

Last edited:
Home brewed Baltic Porter after 3 months of lagering. Wow is this smooth as silk or what! Very happy with this one! It has a lot going on with tons of malt and dark fruit, caramel, toast, and anise notes. It is also roasty without the burnt roast. This is a treat to have on tap!

baltic.jpg

Back at Mission. DDH Pink Boots WCIPA. Dry hopped with Pink Boots Society hop blend(?). They have a special a pint and a 6-pack to go for $15. I get hosed in Omaha a 4-pack is $15 by itself! Leaving tomorrow, but not until 5 pm so might be able to get one more brewery. Days the Padres aren’t in town Petco Park is open to walk around.
11CABDF5-AFD1-4130-A665-5B8C6D4A8BFA.jpeg
E7C64E55-E945-42D2-85DC-2855C0D44742.jpeg

Last edited:
Back at Mission. DDH Pink Boots WCIPA. Dry hopped with Pink Boots Society hop blend(?). They have a special a piñata and a 6-pack to go for $15. I get hosed in Omaha a 4-pack is $15 by itself! Leaving tomorrow, but not until 5 pm so might be able to get one more brewery. Days the Padres aren’t in town Petco Park is open to walk around.
View attachment 763731View attachment 763732
I was just reading about this hop blend. My local brewpub just brewed theirs. What is it like?

It’s a pretty mild hop. It’s a solid hop for a West Coast, but don’t notice anything spectacular. I really like this brewery.
What I read said:
“This year’s blend consists of Idaho Gem, HBC 630, Talus, Triumph, and Loral. The expected brewing values are 12.5% alpha with expected aromas of citrus, sweet aromatics and berry.”

DEA74788-DB5A-42F8-9B5E-78443EDF6121.jpeg
EE914D27-25D4-4F13-8539-366CCED8A694.jpeg
What I read said:
“This year’s blend consists of Idaho Gem, HBC 630, Talus, Triumph, and Loral. The expected brewing values are 12.5% alpha with expected aromas of citrus, sweet aromatics and berry.”
I brewed a hazy pale ale 10 days ago with those hops. It was the monthly Craft Society kit from Craft A Brew. I dry hopped with them this morning. I’m kegging it this Saturday and am eager to taste it!

What I read said:
That seems right. Really good beer

Back