What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CADJockey...what hops did you use? I remember you saying you were using a hop combo that you were pretty pumped about.

Simcoe & Amarillo: I don't know why they stood out to me, but I've never used either so it was exciting. The packet of Simcoe smelled amazing. I love making my wife smell them. Put the Simcoe to her face and she goes "oooh!" then quickly turned away when held up the Amarillo.

My only concern is using the carboy as primary. It's only my second time and already found I wasn't sure how to distribute the dry yeast very well. So accustomed to getting it perfectly spread, this time I could only do so much. Looks funky this morning though, lots of stuff on the bottom and in suspension.

Coffeesauce.

Simcoe & Amarillo: I don't know why they stood out to me, but I've never used either so it was exciting. The packet of Simcoe smelled amazing. I love making my wife smell them. Put the Simcoe to her face and she goes "oooh!" then quickly turned away when held up the Amarillo.

My only concern is using the carboy as primary. It's only my second time and already found I wasn't sure how to distribute the dry yeast very well. So accustomed to getting it perfectly spread, this time I could only do so much. Looks funky this morning though, lots of stuff on the bottom and in suspension.

Coffeesauce.

Did you rehydrate? I usually just dump and swirl it once or twice.

I'm sure you don't even have to do that. Yeast get to work and grow all through the beer, not just where you dumped it.

Did you rehydrate? I usually just dump and swirl it once or twice.

No I didn't. I used US05 since I have never had issues with it, and I've never rehydrated but I've always been able to get a nice even layer on top. With the carboy, I tried to spread it out with the little funnel I have but it still just kinda piled a little. I gave it one gentle swirl when I got up this morning, will see what happens when I get home tonight. Just not really seeing the benefit to using a carboy over a bucket, other than being able to see what's going on.

Pretty sure I got excellent aeration this time though! I got two extra long Krazy-Straws and blew air into it for at least half an hour before pitching.

Pretty sure I got excellent aeration this time though! I got two extra long Krazy-Straws and blew air into it for at least half an hour before pitching.

I'm not sure that was the best thing to do as far as sanitation goes. If I read this correctly, you physically blew air from your mouth into the beer? Have you done this before?

1396210044624.png

Happy bday RevKev!

CADJockey...what hops did you use? I remember you saying you were using a hop combo that you were pretty pumped about.

Cliff....congrats on paying down some debt. Sucks when doing it, but it's totally worth it.

Green tea for me. Fasting until dinner. Hopefully I'll get my Blood Orange wheat brewed today.

thanks man - biggest thing for me is student loans, well actually thats the only thing... but im less stressed over money now that i got a serious budget going and every penny has its place.

water-

My god... I was searching for a sick pic to burn you with, and found the most fawking random thing ever (this week).

OBSTRAW_5.jpg

My god... I was searching for a sick pic to burn you with, and found the most fawking random thing ever (this week).

Yeah that's the straw but mine is red and I have two of them. I was considering trying to make some sort of attachment to get them to fit on the end of a hair dryer so I don't get so light headed.

You can't burn me. Sorry.

Yeah that's the straw but mine is red and I have two of them. I was considering trying to make some sort of attachment to get them to fit on the end of a hair dryer so I don't get so light headed.

Don't use a hair dryer. Those things suck dust from the other end. No more straws either. Buy the thing that Fins linked ya goof!

It'll be okay I bet. The yeast and all...

More coffee. This workday is absolute hell.

OBSTRAW_5.jpg

I want to party with that guy. He's probably King Diamond's cousin.

These are the guys I want to party with! It would be like hanging with Monty Python. Everybody would floccin with each other and talking $hit the whole night.

Somebody needs to send Mongas an invite to join HBT

You mean that's not Revvy?

I looked for his name, but couldn't find it. Seems like he would be on here since I've seen a lot of his equipment on threads here before.

If that's the case he needs to get his ass in here with the rest of us functioning alchies that have a brewing problem.

Am I reading things right, if I want to bring a guest to the AHA NHC, they must be a member of AHA as well? That sounds odd.

Where is @remmy

Heard that.. $50 could buy a bunch of those straws from McDonalds that have the bigger diameter, allowing for much more unrestricted airflow.

My aeration system is free.
Rack the wort into the carboy in such a way that it splashes a lot when filling up. When all wort is added, put a stopper on the opening and shake the bejeezus out of it. Then pitch yeast and shake the living bejeezus out of it again. Apply blow off assembly and get a beer. Done.

Rack the wort into the carboy in such a way that it splashes a lot when filling up. When all wort is added, put a stopper on the opening and shake the bejeezus out of it. Then pitch yeast and shake the living bejeezus out of it again. Apply blow off assembly and get a beer. Done.

What exactly do bejeezus's look like? How would one know when they are all out of the opening? Once de-bejeezused how do they get back in there, or is that why you added the living distinction? What happens if you dont get them all out? I am scared? I think my beer is infected with bejeezuses. Should I dump it?

Your chiropractor or ER bill will be much more than $50 one of these days. ;)

I guess I'm just a sucker for doing things the right way.....Dang. :D

What exactly do bejeezus's look like? How would one know when they are all out of the opening? Once de-bejeezused how do they get back in there, or is that why you added the living distinction? What happens if you dont get them all out? I am scared? I think my beer is infected with bejeezuses. Should I dump it?

Please tell me you haven't been leaving the bejeezuses in your beer!
:p

Are you sure that isn't "bejeezi"?

Drinking Coke Cherry Zero with these puppies for lunch:

IMG_20150218_124846758.jpg

Drinking Coke Cherry Zero with these puppies for lunch:

We call those scum dogs.

If we bs enough, I bet @Remmy will appear.

More coffee with a side of the shakes while trying to figure out how to make a 3D representation of @Psylocide to have printed out. Thinking a SST piece would be easier.

This is my method and it is working for me for the time being.

A Small hole drilled at an angle on the thick walled tube from kettle to chiller worked pretty nice as well but I have not drilled a new one since replacing the tubing.

Anyone ever think about putting a long straw right next to the dip tube as you drain, it would pull air along with the wort. Seems like it could work pretty well. Can you aerate on the hot side?

Back