What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I half expected way more drinking from many of you today. I think I'll start in t minus 20...I have to do my hair so I look good watching TV!

Wish I could but I have to go work 530pm-6am so some floozy can spend Valentines day with her bf. My lot in life I guess.

I half expected way more drinking from many of you today. I think I'll start in t minus 20...I have to do my hair so I look good watching TV!

I went into work after a date from which I got home at 2 am. Didn't make it to bed until after 5 am. There will be drinking from me starting t minus now!

_DSC3935.jpg

I need to do a SMASH. I was thinking Maris as well. Maybe Mosaic.

Go for it. I thought it wouldn't turn-out as good as it did because MO is a heavy, earthy malt compared to US 2-row. But it's not as hearty (in a bad way) as I thought it would be on its own. I've only used MO on dark beers.

I have a Vienna (German) and Mosaic smash going that is done. Just don't have a free keg for it.

An IPA of course. I brew a single hop IPA made with my own hops (cascade). Very hoppy, floral and tasty. Just started dry hopping so the nose really has come out now and tamed some of the bitterness (which I love but was too strong prior to the dry hopping) it had. Still perfecting it but am pleased thus far with the results. My next batch is a hoppy red ale with a little bit of roasted grains and a good malt finish.

I know I'm late to the party @finsfan but I've been fighting the flu for the last 3 days. Did you get to try the Bier De Garde yet? If so what did you think? I'm having a big glass of water while eating some real food for the first time in 3 days.

I know I'm late to the party @finsfan but I've been fighting the flu for the last 3 days. Did you get to try the Bier De Garde yet? If so what did you think? I'm having a big glass of water while eating some real food for the first time in 3 days.

That sucks man, got it myself for the first time in 10 years this winter. It's pretty rough. Hope you feel better

Now that I have you on the line, I have a saison athene from you that you told me to wait until 2016 to drink, but the cork is already trying to escape. Should I still wait on it?

If I told you 2016, I must have been drunk. I wait until the cage is struggling, sounds like it's ready.

Did you keg that just yesterday?
Yes. Why? I didn't think it'd be carbonated, I'm not a moron. It's only been on 30 PSI for 12 hours.
My Fresh Squeezed clone was pretty good. More malty than the real deal, color was spot on but the real one had a better nose and cleaner hop flavor. I think next time I mash a little lower.

I mashed at 152, I got a higher ABV, went own to 1.007 from 1.062, even though target was 1.064. Will likely use a different yeast next time. I used Wyeast 1056. I will have the commercial one in a week or so to compare.

Yes. Why? I didn't think it'd be carbonated, I'm not a moron. It's only been on 30 PSI for 12 hours.

I mashed at 152, I got a higher ABV, went own to 1.007 from 1.062, even though target was 1.064. Will likely use a different yeast next time. I used Wyeast 1056. I will have the commercial one in a week or so to compare.

I mashed at 156, used US05. 1.068 down to 1.012.

I mashed at 156, used US05. 1.068 down to 1.012.

I'm planning on using US-05 next and keeping my mash temp the same. The body seems nice prior to carbonating. Once I get the commercial version, I'll be able to make more adjustments. I do need to adjust the hops only due to the IBUs coming in at 81 versus 60. I don't feel it is hoppier, but it may be. The scent and taste are both awesome. Even if I cannot get close, I could drink this all day and it'll be a suitable replacement for what I cannot actually buy here. I plan to brew this sometime again in March, after my brewery is all set up.

That sucks man, got it myself for the first time in 10 years this winter. It's pretty rough. Hope you feel better

Thanks! I feel a lot better today than I did. Still not 100% yet. I can't remember the last time I had the flu. So much for preventing the flu by getting a flu shot.

Mine is carbed. 30 psi for 26 hours. Serving at 8 psi.

Thanks! I feel a lot better today than I did. Still not 100% yet. I can't remember the last time I had the flu. So much for preventing the flu by getting a flu shot.

Not surprising since The CDC issues this statement in December.

"Influenza viral characterization data indicates that 48% of the influenza A (H3N2) viruses collected and analyzed in the United States from October 1 through November 22, 2014 were antigenically "like" the 2014-2015influenza A (H3N2) vaccine component, but that 52% were antigenically different (drifted) from the H3N2 vaccine virus. In past seasons during which predominant circulating influenza viruses have been antigenically drifted, decreased vaccine effectiveness has been observed."

Pretty much an admission that this years batch of flu vaccine was ineffective.

I had that a few days ago. My bottle shop was able to order some in for me, fantastic beer! I'm typically not a fan of straight malty beers but that was was great. Thanks for the suggestion and glad you are feeling better!

Final pour of uplands kiwi lambic. Wanted to let the final third chill longer for the dregs to settle. Stole those bastards for my own use. :D
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423942663.911968.jpg

I had that a few days ago. My bottle shop was able to order some in for me, fantastic beer! I'm typically not a fan of straight malty beers but that was was great. Thanks for the suggestion and glad you are feeling better!

Final pour of uplands kiwi lambic. Wanted to let the final third chill longer for the dregs to settle. Stole those bastards for my own use. :D
View attachment 256476

Glad you liked it! I picked up a couple at my shop the last time I was there. The owner marked them down to $5. They were bottled 3/19/13. Haven't tried one yet. Interested to see how they held up.

If I told you 2016, I must have been drunk. I wait until the cage is struggling, sounds like it's ready.

Cool, I'm going to drink it soon then, gotta get it in the fridge.

Should I put the dregs in with my crooked stave dregs, or do two jars, one crooked stave only and the other one for everything else?

Cool, I'm going to drink it soon then, gotta get it in the fridge.

Should I put the dregs in with my crooked stave dregs, or do two jars, one crooked stave only and the other one for everything else?

Two jars! You dont wanna mess with chads perfection haha the man has a phd is brettanomyces for gods sake! you will be happy later on that you kept them separate. I didnt do that and now i have to start a crooked stave jar soon. Its gonna be tough drinking all those beers!

Back