What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video = played-out.

However, I did feel like "that guy" when SWMBO asked me to go to the supermarket this morning for bread and milk. Kids are out of milk and they loved grilled cheeses. FML

Yes, but I'm assuming you didn't buy 10 loaves and 20 gallons of milk? I don't get that crap at all. Worse snow I've experienced led to being cooped up at home for two days. How much food do you need to survive for two days. Beer on the other hand, is a completely different story. :)

Gotta organize my fermenters tonight. Going to check on them and see. Need to brew another to use a Brett yeast cake when i move and dry hop with some citra. Thinking a dark brett goodness.

Also finish my bottle opener. Almost done

Yes, but I'm assuming you didn't buy 10 loaves and 20 gallons of milk? I don't get that crap at all. Worse snow I've experienced led to being cooped up at home for two days. How much food do you need to survive for two days. Beer on the other hand, is a completely different story. :)

If it weren't for the kids being out of milk and them eating grilled-cheeses for dinner, I would have never ventured into the supermarket. I had to get extra gas for the generator, so I had to go near there anyhow. I just felt like the typical snowmaggedon Nazi buying what I did. :fro:

I am done with my real work for the day. So, I may go outside and work a bit.

I love my vacuum sealer! Fresh hops. YES.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering about replacement bags.

Drinking water.

I've always bough the 8" rolls, which are nice. I recently gave the quart sized pre cut ones a shot. I can em in half to do like 2/3 oz of pellets or just leave em whole for 1lb of beef or 3 chix breasts.

saves from having to seal both ends.

Water for posterity.

You're making a different point now.

Yeah, but it's a fair point, so I'm not going to nitpick. ;)

If you pour both beers from an unmarked bottle (like at a comp), it should take away that bias.

Exactly. 'Interesting aside' is that on my last tasting exam, we were served Hop Nosh as one of the beers. I scored it pretty high for style (I think the only knock against it I had was the head retention, but that was more from it being poured into a pitcher and then into cups). OK, that seals the deal for my next HBT article. "Drink Like A Beer Judge" it is.

Porter, snows picking up a little and there's a looong way to go,

IMG_5716.jpg

I always find I am the poor idiot who doesnt think and since I buy for what I am going to cook that night or one of the next two, always ends up having to go grocery shopping before a storm when these people are raiding the shelves. I went last night for makings for dinner for last night and today. Now I am kicking myself for not getting chili making ingredients. Or a pork butt to smoke up if I get to miss work and then turn the leftovers into chili.

Yeah, but it's a fair point, so I'm not going to nitpick. ;)

Exactly. 'Interesting aside' is that on my last tasting exam, we were served Hop Nosh as one of the beers. I scored it pretty high for style (I think the only knock against it I had was the head retention, but that was more from it being poured into a pitcher and then into cups). OK, that seals the deal for my next HBT article. "Drink Like A Beer Judge" it is.

11149977.jpg

:D :D

Im beyond jealous of you right now (minus the snow :D)

So, so, so many deer tracks in the woods behind my house. I don't eat deer, so I wouldn't get one.

@nukebrewer and I saw two deer running behind my house yesterday. If I liked venison, I'd get a bow and sit out back in the tree stand to smash 'em. I just don't.

So, so, so many deer tracks in the woods behind my house. I don't eat deer, so I wouldn't get one.

@nukebrewer and I saw two deer running behind my house yesterday. If I liked venison, I'd get a bow and sit out back in the tree stand to smash 'em. I just don't.

See, I love venison but Ive never been on a deer hunt. Someday though...

Another coffee...

See, I love venison but Ive never been on a deer hunt. Someday though...

Another coffee...

I got one deer with shotgun; won't ever do it again unless in dire need once I have a family. It was too much meat for just my wife and I. Every year that I sat out in the woods during bow season, I didn't see a thing. Really wanted to get one with my longbow too, oh well.

One more coffee I guess. Trying to figure out how to get this cider taken care of, never again.. I'll just stick to buying her Angry Orchard whenever she wants it.

You gotta get on these

I started using them about 2 years ago, huge cost savings over the name brand ones with equal performance.
Awesome! Thank you for the link. I may have actually seen you link this before, but I couldn't find the post. Glad you mentioned it. Those bags are expensive and I feel there is a little bit of waste going on. I'd like to save.
Cherry coke with lunch. My head still kinda hurts from smashing it on the driveway last night. Damn ice!
Dang, hope you're okay.

Coke.

Juice + Yeast (at its simplest), what's the problem?

I don't really want to get into pasteurization or even know if it is necessary and I can't just keg it until after Super Bowl when my keg will be free. I was going to just put it in flip tops for her and not use the frozen apple juice addition to carb it, since the sample I tasted was great but if its not carbed I don't think she'll appreciate it as much.

I don't really want to get into pasteurization or even know if it is necessary and I can't just keg it until after Super Bowl when my keg will be free. I was going to just put it in flip tops for her and not use the frozen apple juice addition to carb it, since the sample I tasted was great but if its not carbed I don't think she'll appreciate it as much.

If it fully fermented and it is dry, like 1.000 then you'll need to add sugar to carbonate if you don't keg it. Then yes, you absolutely need to pasteurize it. How many gallons did you make? If you can keep them all cold and drink within a couple of weeks then you may get away with just sticking them in the fridge. I did have bottles explode on me while pasteurizing but that is because they were seriously over carbonated. Now I have apple cider stains on my ceiling.

It fully fermented as of one month ago, then I racked it (to free up my carboy). It is clear and tastes great but it is 5 gallons, she will be the only one drinking it for the most part so it will take too long for that. My worry was that it has been done fermenting for a month now, yet at this point what is one more week? Maybe waiting until after SB for the keg is the best bet. Then I can just take growlers to friends if she doesn't like it.

I shouldn't have taken it on, I worry enough about my beer I don't need some stinking fruit juice making me crazy.

It fully fermented as of one month ago, then I racked it (to free up my carboy). It is clear and tastes great but it is 5 gallons, she will be the only one drinking it for the most part so it will take too long for that. My worry was that it has been done fermenting for a month now, yet at this point what is one more week? Maybe waiting until after SB for the keg is the best bet. Then I can just take growlers to friends if she doesn't like it.

I shouldn't have taken it on, I worry enough about my beer I don't need some stinking fruit juice making me crazy.

Stabilize and back sweeten then bottle won't be carbed but you won't have to worry about bottle bombs

Afternoon coff

Hey...I'm by no means an expert, but I have made several batches of cider over the last couple of years. Some carbed, some still. I have stovetop pasteurized several with very little problem and I have allowed quite a few to ferment down to around 1.005 to 1.010, bottled and left unpastuerized. I also have some that I knnow fermented all the way out and I put in half gallon carboys, making sure they were very full to limit oxidation, and have had them bulk aging since last October.

If I were you, I'd just leave it until you're ready to do something. I wouldn't keg it, though, if SWMBO is going to be the only one drinking it and if you only have 1 or 2 kegs.

I prefer it dry but how about using enough sugar to carb and then backsweeting in the glass?

Still on a porter:D

Mount Bicepious from the Oxford Manor Brewhaus. As far as IPAs go, not usually a fan of English ones, but this one is done well. The Mosaic definitely takes a little bit of the English out of it.

Snow is starting to pick up. Might go play in the snow later before the wind picks up.

_DSC3812.jpg

_DSC3816.jpg

image.png

I prefer it dry but how about using enough sugar to carb and then backsweeting in the glass?

Still on a porter:D

This is kind of what I was hoping to do, I don't care for sweet anyway. Was considering filling the 2.5g keg I got for xmas to carb for her then just bottle the rest as it is uncarbed for whatever.

Thanks guys (and @Hello as always) :cross:

Water now until beer time.

Back