What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White tea. High of 50 today. It's about time some other areas get snow and crap weather while I enjoy some warmth. Unfortunately I'll be putting in 50+ hours this week so no time to brew.

Coffe and water.
A sure fire way to really piss me off is schedule a meeting then no one shows for 10 minutes and when I e-mail the group to ask what is up, no one responds. Lack of respect is in high form today.

/rant

Just happened to me. But I don't care as much except for when they're my meetings. I make it very, very clear that people must be on-time for meetings - phone or in person. Once or twice is ok, but relatively consistently, and your respect, trust and reputation go out the window, AFAIK.

Coff #3 now. Beer #2 soon.

I have the means to mount them but not finish the job ;)

Sorry to hear that!:D

Well, it was an optimistic exercize in pure futility to think that I could beat @Remmy to the punch, but I'm pulling a John Madison and having a cider for breakast.

IMG_20150126_093138573.jpg

Just happened to me. But I don't care as much except for when they're my meetings. I make it very, very clear that people must be on-time for meetings - phone or in person. Once or twice is ok, but relatively consistently, and your respect, trust and reputation go out the window, AFAIK.

Coff #3 now. Beer #2 soon.
It's not my meeting per se, but evidently it is a holiday in India. The two on-shore folks probably could have mentioned it when I e-mailed, but they waited. It's fine. I quickly got over it and finished filing my taxes.
Nothing a few throat chops as they walk through the door can't fix.
LOL nah.
Coffee whe waiting to get my tires balanced, I have the means to mount them but not finish the job, should ride a little better;)
The FDA has approved at least two options for you to finish the job.

More coffee. Like I need my heart to race any faster, but whatever.
Oh and this weekend I saw a woman my age (so middle-aged) actually say "so I figured YOLO and went for it." I wanted to get up and tell her that a) she's too old to say that and b) duh, we all only live once.

View attachment 251442
In spite of all the bcjp style guidlines etc Taste remains an individual and very subjective thing and to my tongue this is the best IPA I've ever had. It has the perfect combination of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. I love this beer.

Dude, didn't you get the news? The 2014 guidelines changed everything. There are only 2 categories: 1) Black IPA and 2) Not Black IPA. ;)

BJCP style guidelines are for the birds. Individual taste is the best guideline to follow. Drink what you want, brew what you want. And if it just so happens to fall into a style guideline, ok. If not, so what.

They're not for the birds, except when the birds are having a homebrew competition. ;) That's really the only time they matter.

Coff.

Oh and this weekend I saw a woman my age (so middle-aged) actually say "so I figured YOLO and went for it." I wanted to get up and tell her that a) she's too old to say that and b) duh, we all only live once.

Age doesn't matter. You're only as young/old as you feel.

I said YOLO once, in context it was meant to mock the friend I was with who says such things. As soon as the last "oh" came out of my mouth I had the most ridiculous cartoon-like spill due to a patch of ice on the sidewalk. I ran in place for a good three seconds while flailing trying to take him down with me, but it was futile. It hurt, 6'3" is a long way down and far from graceful. Never again, that word is evil.

Coffee #3
DWG #6
Water #1

Dude, didn't you get the news? The 2014 guidelines changed everything. There are only 2 categories: 1) Black IPA and 2) Not Black IPA. ;)

They're not for the birds, except when the birds are having a homebrew competition. ;) That's really the only time they matter.

Coff.

Style guidelines don't say good beer or bad beer. They say how well said beer fits arbitrary standard. Nothing more.

They have their use. Some folks put too much stock in them and others erroneously discard them. In either case both are misusing the guidelines.

Still on the coffee.

Style guidelines don't say good beer or bad beer. They say how well said beer fits arbitrary standard. Nothing more.

They have their use. Some folks put too much stock in them and others erroneously discard them. In either case both are misusing the guidelines.

Still on the coffee.

Only problem is not everyone has the same palate and I feel many judges rate a beer higher or lower than one another based on certain characteristics...even though there ARE guidelines in-place.

That is why I have never entered a barbecue competition and will never send my beer to a home brew competition. I'm fine with eating and drinking my own stuff without being pissed-off at others because they don't like my food/beer.

Running low on stouts. :D

Coff.

Style guidelines are ridiculous the only guidelines I need are 1) does it taste good 2) is the abv higher the 5%. Done

Yum. HB helles. Aka, tasty lager.
251170d1422120477-what-you-drinking-now-1422120477960.jpg

Sorry, catching up on this weekends posts...
Heh, you got Weiner Malt. Is that what @Billy-Klubb uses to make his chode stout? And how exactly does one go about malting their weiner, and why would they want to?

Yet another fun day in (shhhh)IT land. At least I have recently bought some groceries, have propane for the grill (and maybe brew rig) and 2 cases of beer in the fridge just in case I dont have to go to work tomorrow.

Age doesn't matter. You're only as young/old as you feel.

I said YOLO once, in context it was meant to mock the friend I was with who says such things. As soon as the last "oh" came out of my mouth I had the most ridiculous cartoon-like spill due to a patch of ice on the sidewalk. I ran in place for a good three seconds while flailing trying to take him down with me, but it was futile. It hurt, 6'3" is a long way down and far from graceful. Never again, that word is evil.

Coffee #3
DWG #6
Water #1

You know what they say, you only YOLO once. :D

Only problem is not everyone has the same palate and I feel many judges rate a beer higher or lower than one another based on certain characteristics...even though there ARE guidelines in-place.

Not a feeling, really. More a fact. Generally speaking beers on the extremes of the guidelines in certain styles always tend to score better. I'm really at the point where the only reason I see to enter homebrew comps is to win medals and points for your club. If you want feedback, you're better off getting someone in your club with a decent palate and a lot of brewing experience to taste the beer and discuss your process with you.

All that being said, the BJCP guidelines are just that: guidelines. They only define styles for homebrew competitions, and unless you plan to enter one, they really don't apply to you. I really don't get the animosity some people have towards them.

Not a feeling, really. More a fact. Generally speaking beers on the extremes of the guidelines in certain styles always tend to score better. I'm really at the point where the only reason I see to enter homebrew comps is to win medals and points for your club. If you want feedback, you're better off getting someone in your club with a decent palate and a lot of brewing experience to taste the beer and discuss your process with you.

All that being said, the BJCP guidelines are just that: guidelines. They only define styles for homebrew competitions, and unless you plan to enter one, they really don't apply to you. I really don't get the animosity some people have towards them.

I understand your view on this. I get it. I have just never brewed with entering a competition in mind. And never will have that mindset. I don't even belong to a club and don't want to. I'm just a home-brewer that tries different things and I share beer with my friends and other HBT'ers. Those are the reasons I brew.

With that said, I've given some of my beers to fellow-HBT'ers and I have always been open to constructive criticism on my beers. Some have thought my beers aare 4.5/5 and I have thought less of said beers. Alternatively, I've rated some of the beers I have made higher than what others have thought about them after consuming them. I will rate one of my beers high if I love the flavor and aroma, but no one else has to. Like I said, some people like certain beers I've made a lot more than I do and I'd rate some 2.5/5 whereas others would rate 4-4.5. It's just personal preference and I'm fine with that. I'm not in the game of following guidelines and being pissed-off because my beer was rated a lot lower than I had originally expected (in a competition).

That is why I have never entered a barbecue competition and will never send my beer to a home brew competition. I'm fine with eating and drinking my own stuff without being pissed-off at others because they don't like my food/beer.

Running low on stouts. :D

Right. Which is a judging problem, not a guidelines problem.

To each their own. I found brewing to style for comps made me a better brewer.

Heh.. look at the "What Craft Beer Do You Secretly Despise" thread. Soon that list will contain every craft beer. I don't understand how judging, with guidelines or not, can be fair. Although I do still want people to try mine considering all my friends say about it is, "its good", "its ok" or if they don't like it they won't ask for another.

Right. Which is a judging problem, not a guidelines problem.

To each their own. I found brewing to style for comps made me a better brewer.

I find that making beers that I have made previously (similar grain bill, adjusting the amount of hops, and timings) and really loving the beer outcome/changes, while improving on my technique has made me a better brewer.

Water with a real breakfast, finally.

What ya buy? I probably need one!

A new bluetooth speaker for the house, new kicks and more chains for my chainsaw. I also need some Blizzaks for my car. If I keep drinking, I will buy them sometime today.

I understand your view on this. I get it. I have just never brewed with entering a competition in mind. And never will have that mindset. I don't even belong to a club and don't want to. I'm just a home-brewer that tries different things and I share beer with my friends and other HBT'ers. Those are the reasons I brew.
Cool. I didn't belong to a club for quite a while myself (from about 1997-2012) since my first club fizzled out. A guy I taught to brew convinced me to join one since they didn't have membership fees and did club brews. I entered a few comps and really wasn't happy with the feedback, so I figured I'd do the judge thing.

With that said, I've given some of my beers to fellow-HBT'ers and I have always been open to constructive criticism on my beers. Some have thought my beers aare 4.5/5 and I have thought less of said beers. Alternatively, I've rated some of the beers I have made higher than what others have thought about them after consuming them. I will rate one of my beers high if I love the flavor and aroma, but no one else has to. Like I said, some people like certain beers I've made a lot more than I do and I'd rate some 2.5/5 whereas others would rate 4-4.5. It's just personal preference and I'm fine with that. I'm not in the game of following guidelines and being pissed-off because my beer was rated a lot lower than I had originally expected (in a competition).

I get some static from a few people when I rate my beers highly. My standard response is "who else is going to know what I like better than me?" My only beers that I don't care for are the ones I don't brew for me (I don't like fruit beers, but usually make one or two a year for wifey). Comps are definitely not for everyone. Brew what you want for you. :mug:

Water.

A new bluetooth speaker for the house, new kicks and more chains for my chainsaw. I also need some Blizzaks for my car. If I keep drinking, I will buy them sometime today.

The flat tire I got last week was probably a blessing in disguise, the tire I replaced while still more then legal where at the end of their life and I think I'm going to need good tires for the next couple of days.

Oo good thing I'm reading through 89 plus pages lol. Your words are too kind. Proof is in the pudding though, extract can be decent if you put enough loving into the recipe and the brew

Wth? I posted a reply to wobrien saying my RIS extract brew was good lol. Now I have to go find it again?

I get some static from a few people when I rate my beers highly. My standard response is "who else is going to know what I like better than me?" My only beers that I don't care for are the ones I don't brew for me (I don't like fruit beers, but usually make one or two a year for wifey). Comps are definitely not for everyone. Brew what you want for you. :mug:

Water.

I feel the same way. However, I am sure if we poured some of out (fellow HBT'ers') beers into a Hill Farmstead growler and told everyone it was from Hill Farmstead, people would automatically rate the beer higher than what it really is. IMO, that's the problem with judging, not only home brews but craft been in general. The assumption is ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING from (using as an example of a great brewery) Hill Farmstead is 5/5. Not quite. It could be when it comes to BJBC. But could not be on my tastebuds. And that's the issue I have with "judging." Every judge has different tastebuds. Some taste chocolate in a stout while some taste coffee. It's still subjective no matter which way you want to put it and beers are rated differently as a result. That's the #1 reason why I don't give a **** and brew my beer for myself.

The beer I have in my cup right now is a 5/5'er to me. Smells great, hoppy, and I get a lot of aroma from the Belgian yeast I used. Pour something like this into an Alchemist growler and people (not going to say any names) will take a day off of work and wait in line for 2 hours for it. And pay ridiculous prices. It's gotten so stupid.

Oo good thing I'm reading through 89 plus pages lol. Your words are too kind. Proof is in the pudding though, extract can be decent if you put enough loving into the recipe and the brew

I assume you meant to quote me and not the guy who loves bud light, haha. You're welcome, I really liked that beer a lot :ban:

And here is some video of all the people here in the northeast who act like we've never gotten a foot of snow before and think they'll be stuck inside for two weeks:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DEc-qK39FD5Tk-0HRHv87_Q&bvm=bv.84349003,d.eXY

I assume you meant to quote me and not the guy who loves bud light, haha. You're welcome, I really liked that beer a lot :ban:

And here is some video of all the people here in the northeast who act like we've never gotten a foot of snow before and think they'll be stuck inside for two weeks:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DEc-qK39FD5Tk-0HRHv87_Q&bvm=bv.84349003,d.eXY

That video = played-out.

However, I did feel like "that guy" when SWMBO asked me to go to the supermarket this morning for bread and milk. Kids are out of milk and they loved grilled cheeses. FML

I feel the same way. However, I am sure if we poured some of out (fellow HBT'ers') beers into a Hill Farmstead growler and told everyone it was from Hill Farmstead, people would automatically rate the beer higher than what it really is. IMO, that's the problem with judging, not only home brews but craft been in general. The assumption is ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING from (using as an example of a great brewery) Hill Farmstead is 5/5. Not quite. It could be when it comes to BJBC. But could not be on my tastebuds. And that's the issue I have with "judging." Every judge has different tastebuds. Some taste chocolate in a stout while some taste coffee. It's still subjective no matter which way you want to put it and beers are rated differently as a result. That's the #1 reason why I don't give a **** and brew my beer for myself.

The beer I have in my cup right now is a 5/5'er to me. Smells great, hoppy, and I get a lot of aroma from the Belgian yeast I used. Pour something like this into an Alchemist growler and people (not going to say any names) will take a day off of work and wait in line for 2 hours for it. And pay ridiculous prices. It's gotten so stupid.

You're making a different point now.

If you pour both beers from an unmarked bottle (like at a comp), it should take away that bias.

Back