What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that. I am not worried about building up to the correct cell count (or a rough estimate, based on the amount of wort I feed to the yeast). I am just asking, if I cultivate my yeast and get them to the desired cell count a week (or even a few days) before brew day, do I just let them warm up and pitch or do I have to add some wort to my starter the night before brew day to get them active?

EDIT: I have only ever used dry yeast or smack packs.

I am harvesting from Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe I'll use their pale as suggested) this week. You do not need to add wort for the final pitch. I was simply going to step up, decant, step, decant then the last time I decanted, I was going to leave it as it was in the fridge, decant, let sit out while I brewed, then swirled and pitched.

I read this:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html
While not sour beer dregs (what I am doing) the concept isn't exactly different. You grab the dregs and step up your starter.

Dry dock uss enterprise on nitro

1399572979733.jpg

Half bottle of apfelwein and quarter bottle black ipa. Bottling day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am harvesting from Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe I'll use their pale as suggested) this week. You do not need to add wort for the final pitch. I was simply going to step up, decant, step, decant then the last time I decanted, I was going to leave it as it was in the fridge, decant, let sit out while I brewed, then swirled and pitched.

I read this:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html
While not sour beer dregs (what I am doing) the concept isn't exactly different. You grab the dregs and step up your starter.

I was planning to harvest from Bells, too. I was warned against doing it from an IPA. From my understanding, Bells uses the same yeast strain in nearly all of its ales. Everyone says to stick to lower ABV, less-hoppy beers to harvest...the problem is drinking those beers to get to the yeast. Maybe I'll use Oberon. I don't think it's the best but it is mid-range ABV and certainly not over-hopped, and I enjoy them.

EDIT: also, how much cell count do you lose per week, you think, with it sitting in the fridge? I know...read the link.

I was planning to harvest from Bells, too. I was warned against doing it from an IPA. From my understanding, Bells uses the same yeast strain in nearly all of its ales. Everyone says to stick to lower ABV, less-hoppy beers to harvest...the problem is drinking those beers to get to the yeast. Maybe I'll use Oberon. I don't think it's the best but it is mid-range ABV and certainly not over-hopped, and I enjoy them.

EDIT: also, how much cell count do you lose per week, you think, with it sitting in the fridge? I know...read the link.

I read to not use 2H because the yeast is more stressed. I didn't read anything about hop content. However, I did read that the Amber and Pale were definitely favored to get yeast that wasn't stressed. But I think if I use dregs from 3 bottles & a 1.025 100ml wort starter, it will be enough to grab hold.

I read this link from that Heady thread:
http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/09/culturing-conan-aka-alchemists-heady.html

I do not see anything at a glance about cell count loss. I am simply going to step it up during the week and just pitch it when I can't step any longer (due to flask size). Really, I'm just looking for a 3 step-step up and then pitch to an IPA with a starting gravity of around 1.080, most likely.

Sorry for the OT ramble guys.

Drinking more cream soda.

I read to not use 2H because the yeast is more stressed. I didn't read anything about hop content. However, I did read that the Amber and Pale were definitely favored to get yeast that wasn't stressed. But I think if I use dregs from 3 bottles & a 1.025 100ml wort starter, it will be enough to grab hold.

I read this link from that Heady thread:
http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/09/culturing-conan-aka-alchemists-heady.html

I do not see anything at a glance about cell count loss. I am simply going to step it up during the week and just pitch it when I can't step any longer (due to flask size). Really, I'm just looking for a 3 step-step up and then pitch to an IPA with a starting gravity of around 1.080, most likely.

Sorry for the OT ramble guys.

Drinking more cream soda.

At least this OT ramble was probably very helpful for some people

OK, since we are on starters (or some of us), I have an amateur hour question. I get the concept and I get the idea of calculating the cell count based on wort volume. My question is the timing. Do you have the full cell count sitting in the fridge up until brew day or do you a final "fermentation" that ends (or is in progress) when you pitch?

I have all the equipment, and I want to start harvesting yeast from craft bottles but I'm still a little fuzzy on the details.

I think you step them up before pitching much like you would with a liquid yeast. Get them in the mood for multiplying and eating sugar. This way is kinda like a warm up before the sprint. Though you could pitch them all from the fridge, it just may take longer to get fully active and may stress em a little more.

Yeah, I bet someone who runs indoors is a Pansy. Especially a white-collar runner :D

Especially out-of-shape fatties that think they are marathon runners at work. And eat salads in front of everyone at work but go home and have chinese food every night. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I love the type.

Especially out-of-shape fatties that think they are marathon runners at work. And eat salads in front of everyone at work but go home and have chinese food every night. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I love the type.

I lolled hard. I had Chinese for lunch and I pretend to be able to run. I don't do marathons unless they're on USA or TBS.

Here is a very useful tool for starters. As far as cell count lose goes, just type in the amount that you have and the date it was "made". It will tell you how much is left. If you want to know how much you will lose in two weeks, just put the production date two weeks back.
http://yeastcalculator.com/

Lol, there was this fat guy that always "really wants to go with us" because a few of us from work do desert runs from time to time but would always find an excuse not to go. Probably would have died anyway :D:D:D:D:D

The best are the skin-and-bones dudes that run the 7-mile routes every day at lunch time and act like they're on a mission to climb Mt. Everest. No muscle. Just bones. Just keep burning the little muscle that exists off of your boney-ass body, whydontya? :D

I should stop. I'm going to grab another beer and cool this wort. Cheers, y'all.

Hahaha...I was a track star in high school but now at 40 I am lucky if I can run a mile in under 9 minutes.

Oh, those crazy track days...approximately 15,000 beers ago...

But even when I was into track, I would run 4 events and not run for more than around a minute in a meet.

1361387889579-974433051.jpeg

Here is a very useful tool for starters. As far as cell count lose goes, just type in the amount that you have and the date it was "made". It will tell you how much is left. If you want to know how much you will lose in two weeks, just put the production date two weeks back.
http://yeastcalculator.com/

if its washed yeast how do you figure out how much yeast is in there?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399575973.464029.jpg

Cooling wort. Now I have to carry this mofo inside. FML.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399575986.776825.jpg

I dont have a clue. I just always make my starters 50 or 100 billion cells more than they should be, and jar the extra before I pitch. Then I always have clean yeast and know close to how much it is.

You do not know and you can't unless you have all the fancy equipment. You have to use your best guess. What I read was people pitched a 2 l starter from 3 bottles of 2H and did okay with a beer that was about 1.060, I think. I have to find the info again. That that's what I am going to do.

Assuming a clean wash, you have to do some educated guessing based on the volume of yeast collected. Once it's compacted in the jar you can measure the approx volume. Different sources will cite different cell/volume numbers, but at least you can get a range.

Much more info in the yeast harvesting/washing thread. Pretty sure it's stickied.

82% efficiency with a 21-lb. grain bill = win. I am drinking a beer right now, too.

Last bottle of my Düsseldorf Alt. Unless I find a surprise squirreled away somewhere. Great beer from the first to the last drop. At least I still have plenty of the Sticke and Doppelsticke versions left ;)

Hahaha...I was a track star in high school but now at 40 I am lucky if I can run a mile in under 9 minutes.

Oh, those crazy track days...approximately 15,000 beers ago...

But even when I was into track, I would run 4 events and not run for more than around a minute in a meet.

1361387889579-974433051.jpeg

That's crazy. When I do run a mile, I always do so in under 7.5 minutes. And I rarely run.

Decided to go the Hello route and order Chinese food. There goes my body fat. :D

Having my second water as I wait for food to get here. Starving.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399585070.832781.jpg
This is pretty amazing. The aroma and flavor are as good as any ipa ive had. The body is a bit light/thin that's my only complaint.

This is pretty amazing. The aroma and flavor are as good as any ipa ive had. The body is a bit light/thin that's my only complaint.

I really need to pick up some more of their stuff. At had the Oompa Loompa at Cincy Winter Beerfest and liked it a lot.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399585514.145732.jpg

Sent from my iThingy using a series of tubes.

I really need to pick up some more of their stuff. At had the Oompa Loompa at Cincy Winter Beerfest and liked it.

I picked up 2 bottles of Oompa Loompa to drink while I watch the draft havent had it before.

Back