What are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antkn33

Reaction score
Hi as if you won't be able to tell from question I am a total newb. I received a kit from Brooklyn brew shop and have a question. Unfortunately they aren't around over the weekend. Two of the packets are unlabeled. Can someone identify them? I wasn't sure if it was ok to open the silver one before I use it as it is vacuum packed.
Thanks!

image.jpg

Keep those sealed until use, then they must be sanitized. Best way is to san'ze scissors, and cut that way, not bite-and-tear.
The clear one looks like measured chunks of sugar, to be added to bottles fro the carbonation process.
Foil one, I have no idea, but, then, I'm an experimenter and do things 'differently.'
If you wish to continue brewing, I strongly suggest you get a good book, like Palmer's latest one. Try Amazon.

What kit are you doing and did it come with instructions?

I'm guessing the foiled package is hops, but hard to tell and never seen them so tightly vacuum packed before. The other item looks to be belgian candi and you probably add that towards the end of the boil; I seriously doubt you use each piece for bottle carbing since that is an awful lot of sugar per bottle.

What kit - is it a Belgian? I agree the top bag looks like candi sugar, carb drops are about that size but much more uniform and oval shaped. The second pack is definitely the hops, that's what they look like vacuum packed and the only thing I could think of that would come vacuumed in a mylar bag. You don't need to worry about sanitizing hops, even dry hops you can just dump in.

Back