What are the affects of lowering qts/lb of strike water when mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm5171988

Reaction score
My 5 gallon cream ale recipe calls for 1.6 qt/lb of strike water. How will it affect my results if I lower my strike amount to 1.2 qts/lb and compensate by adding more sparge water? Will the taste change, will the gravity change?

The gravity will probably change which would in turn change the taste. A thicker mash will lead to more dextrins and a thicker beer. It can also raise your efficiency giving you a higher gravity. I usually aim for about 1.25-1.3, but on bigger beers, I've gone as low as .75 in order to make room in my tun.

It's not very fun stirring 20lbs of grain at .75qts/lb though.

The gravity will probably change which would in turn change the taste. A thicker mash will lead to more dextrins and a thicker beer. It can also raise your efficiency giving you a higher gravity. I usually aim for about 1.25-1.3, but on bigger beers, I've gone as low as .75 in order to make room in my tun.

It's not very fun stirring 20lbs of grain at .75qts/lb though.

I just had to drop my ratio to 1qt. / 1lbs. in order to fit everything into my mash tun. I ended up with 91% efficiency. :D

My SNPA clone just went IMPERIAl!

Bull

Latest posts

Back