Weissbier isn't cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a European style wheat beer 2 months ago that's just about gone now. The beer came out really good, although it turned in a 'Session Weizen' when the efficiency was quite poor.

A nice strong clove presence, tart finish, no hop presence -- really a nice beer. The one flaw is that it's clear. Not exactly crystal, but the yeast is just gone.

It was in the primary for ~3 weeks using Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638 yeast. Started the temp @62F and ramped to 70F once it finished to clean it up. Straight to keg after that and into the keezer @ 36F.

Any ideas on why the yeast dropped out? My best guess is the keg acted as a secondary.

recipe here
http://hopville.com/recipe/303277/weizen-weissbier-recipes/bavarian-wheat

Straight to keg after that and into the keezer @ 36F.
This is why. All yeast will drop out over time, especially with the cold. Kegs of cloudy wheat beer are often shipped upside-down so that when the keg is inverted for serving the yeast stays in suspension for the life of the keg. If you want the yeast in suspension, swirl the keg.

Ayup. Brew with Wheat by Stan Hieronymous is a great read if you are a fan of wheat. In it he states several times that the one problem that plagues wheat brewers is how to keep the beer cloudy.

@Brewsmith -- Thanks, makes perfect sense in hindsight. I lost all the yeast in the first pint of super-cloudy-yeasty beer ... oops. Future wheat beers are getting bottled.

@GilaMinumBeer -- I have that book sitting next to me as I type, seems I didn't pay much attention when I read it :/

Next time when brewing this toss a handful of flour (yup) in the boil kettle. You'll get a nice starch haze that will keep your brew cloudy longer. When the yeast flocs out, it will actually grab some of the hazy proteins and drop them out on the way down as well. This prematurely will clarify your brew.

-ZB

Latest posts

Back