Wax

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brewdude25

Reaction score
So, Im thinking about doing the melted wax thing on my beer bottles for gifts for my family on the holidays. Is that just for corked bottles or can i use it on my capped bottles as well??
I just dont want to make them hard to open or something.

CDbrews

Reaction score
I think i saw a post about homemade wax with hot glue sticks and crayons for coloring. it was done on regular crown caps.

thelorax121

Reaction score
According to the owner of my LHBS, a tricck to getting a smooth, shiny coat is to keep the wax around 160-170 degrees, then dip the bottle in once , slowly remove, twist, and dip in ice water to harden. I have not tried this yet, but he makes he has done this on his whiskey bottles for years without a problem.

Rick500

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be a good idea to first put a short length of foil over the caps, then dip them. Then you could work a corner of the foil loose and pull it and the wax over the cap, off.

Rip

Reaction score
I'm very fond of the dipped look, I think it adds a nice touch... I've noticed that it is much more difficult to open a waxed crown top (IMO). Maybe this depends on how hard the wax-stuff is that you're using?

My solution is make up some short lengths of Scotch Fiber tape and place these on the bottles before dipping [cut the tape in half, length-wise]. This provides a little pull-strip which aids removing the wax (hey, my friends need all the help they can get)! :tank:

I think this photo explains it pretty well < http://www.winebusiness.com/content/Image/Tear-Tape-Applicator.gif >

- M

Shooter

Almaigan Brewing Co.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Pat_13

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the wax?

I understand cork but I thought the caps were air tight already.

RIP, that is a nice little trick for wax though.

agroff383

Reaction score
I may have to do this for a brew that is aging for a wedding in January. That would be awesome. They just look so nice!

Latest posts