Water in air lock moved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettgvdp

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first time brewing mead and the first time brewing anything at all. I started today (January 7th 2023) and the fermenting process seems to have started. Bubbles are rising through the air lock. My question regarding the air lock is this: is it okay for the water to shift inside the airlock? There are two lines indicating the level at which the water should be. I filled it to this line and put it in the hole of the bucket. A few hours later when I came to check up on it, all the water had moved to the left chamber. Is this cause for concern or not?

That means your fermenting vessel is cooling.
Because of the falling temperature, the air inside shrinks a bit and sucks hyrdrolock liquid in a bit.

Sometimes I even get a bubble or two in the backward direction, which isn't nice because it could theoretically suck in some airborn microbes from the environment. To date, I have had no infections from that, however.

Back