Blowoff tube on mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macscoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time mazer here! I am two weeks in to a batch of ginger peach melomel. Started out following Charlie Papazian's recipe for Barkshack Ginger Mead and have strayed. I started off with peaches in my primary and after a week of open fermentation, I strained them off, snapped the lid onto my fermenter, affixed the air lock and let sit for a week. SG read 1.000 48 hours apart, so I figured it was time to rack into my secondary. I had way too much headspace in my secondary, so made the decision to add more peaches. Looking good. However, looks like peaches have re initiated fermentation and my mead is creeping up the neck of the carboy. I set up a blowoff tube, but am wondering how long I can leave the blowoff tube in? Should I just try to siphon some mead off the top of the carboy? I would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:
Leave it in until it stops blowing off. Not a smart-ass answer... different yeasts, different sg, different honey, they all react differently. Put an airlock in when you're pretty sure it's co2 and not liquid foaming out. It won't hurt to leave the blowoff on until you're sure of it, even.

20240116_195102.jpg

Back