Wasted jug of cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
hello brewing partners

im new in this brewing art and i have a question about the progress of my first try of brewing some hard apple cider.

i use un galon of 100% great value apple juice.
one cup of raw cane sugar
and lalvin yeast.

it have less than 24 hours fermenting with alot of airlock activity, i made another two jugs but using standar sugar.

the problem is that the Raw sugar cane jug smells like "dirty dipper" :C

the another two jugs smell good with a fruit touch, but this one smell very bad, is that Jug of cider wasted???

cheers :mug:

Search rhino farts. Smelly fermenting cider is nothing to sorry about, it should clear with time. If not then you may have something to worry about.

And most sugar is cane sugar, so not sure what you mean by standard sugar

the Raw Sugar cane is the unprocesed one is also called panela or piloncillo, is a dark brown sugar without any preparation.

DSC_0755.jpg

that jug smell like rotten to me, all the room is full with that "rotten smell"

i attach a picture of my jugs the one that smell bad is the one on the right hand the most brown one.

jugs.jpg

You can reduce those rhino farts with the addition of yeast nutrients. The smell is nothing to worry about though.
Regards, GF.

You can reduce those rhino farts with the addition of yeast nutrients. The smell is nothing to worry about though.
Regards, GF.

thanks bro, the first day i add one spoon of yeast nutrients, now the rhino farts is disappearing, the jug also lower the fermentation activity, in this morning i get a more fruty smell coming out of the jug i hope the sulfure smell go away in the next days.

:mug:

Grape Juice with a little bit of Arandano juice they are red berrys i dont remember the name in english.

this:
Comprar-arandano-rojo.jpg

regards

My understanding was that arandano was used for cranberries and blueberries, depending on where the speaker was from. The picture looks closer to cranberry, but not quite like the fresh cranberries that I have seen.

yesterday i take a shot of the jug, it taste like it smell so confirmed is a wasted jug ;C

It's only about a month old, of course it tastes bad, you need to let it age a bit. Even cider takes some time to get good.
Regards, GF.

Back