"Waste" wort Parti-gyle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
Does anyone else take the final runnings from a 1.070 or better batch and boil it up separate (with whatever hops) to create a smaller beer on a regular basis?

Most of my beers seem to run over 1.065. I fly sparge, and I tend to throw the final dribbles into a kettle, boil them with some miscellaneous hops and a sachet of dry yeast. Usually 3 gallons or so from my cooler.

I wouldn't send them into a competition anywhere, but they seem to generally make nice little session beers. I haven't run into too many flavor issues.

Dave

I did that with KingBrianI's fireside barleywine, I just had the first couple of bottles. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not a waste of time (considering the wort was essentially free, the yeast was washed, the only thing that actually cost any money was the .5 oz of hops). Some of the smoked character of the rauchmalt actually made it through, but not a whole lot more than that. I'm thinking of a wee heavy down the road, and I will probably make a second beer off of that as well.

I've done it a couple times, once with a Wee Heavy (partigyled to a Scottish 60) and once with a Barley Wine (partigyled to a APA) both were very solid beers. The Scottish 60 had some astrigent flavors but it was very good, the APA started a little low on the OG so I added a pound of sugar which allowed it to dry out and be a really nice beer. Like cklages said its basically free beer, the only cost was a few bucks for hops.

I recently made a barleywine and a pale ale with the second runnings. Used some Warrior, Summit and Nelson Sauvin hops in the pale which ended up smelling and tasting quite like the Drifter! Delicious!

wednesday i did a RIS/dry stout partigyle. RIS was 1.107 and the stout was 1.040.

I'm a bit concerned as the RIS was mashed at 157F (per the recipe) so I don't know how well the dry stout will ferment.

i did it once and it turned out to be a really good small beer, only 2.5% abv, it did not age well, as the final 6er or so kinda sucked. Alot of times I'll boil it down a bit, freeze it, and use it for starters.

Back