Washing yeast from two packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcstrom

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dry stout that is stuck at 1.030 (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stuck-1-030-a-98079/). I'm thinking about getting another smack pack of 1275 this evening and making a starter that I can pitch tomorrow night.

My question is, would it still be feasible to wash and reuse this yeast since there will be two different packs of yeast from the same strain in this beer?

Thanks.

kcstrom

You can certainly try. Some say that yeast should not be reused after fermenting a beer over 50 IBU or 1.055. Others reuse entire yeast cakes all the time. There's no right or wrong answer.

If you have another batch in primary with a neutral cake you could always try racking right on top of it. I haven't needed to do this, but a couple of guys here swear by it. If not, making another starter is a good option although I've never had to do that either so I can't give you any advice as to what you should expect.

Good luck!

Back