Washing or Freezing Berliner Weisse Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerTom

Reaction score
I've been washing yeast for a while now, but I've got a Berliner Weisse in the primary right now and was wondering if it was even feasible to wash one of these blended type yeasts.

I'm thinking about getting into freezing yeasts too, so the same question applies to freezing it as well.

Anyone have any experience or insights into washing or freezing one of these blended yeasts.

You can definitely wash and store the blended varieties. With the bacteria-yeast mixes, the trick is two different starters, in order to get both populations back up. I use an apple juice starter kept at 100F for bacteria and a LME starter at 65 for the yeast. You will get growth of both microbes in both starters, but the different starter conditions allow the specific microbe to grow without too much competition.

You can definitely wash and store the blended varieties. With the bacteria-yeast mixes, the trick is two different starters, in order to get both populations back up. I use an apple juice starter kept at 100F for bacteria and a LME starter at 65 for the yeast. You will get growth of both microbes in both starters, but the different starter conditions allow the specific microbe to grow without too much competition.

Wow, an apple juice starter, that's pretty interesting. I wouldn't have thought that I would have to do two separate starters. Thanks for the info ColoHox!

I'm sorry, but the yeast will outperform everything else at both those temperatures in both of those starter worts. Yeast loves 100 F, unfortunately it produces lots of esters and higher alcohols at those temperatures too.

For the OP. It's not worth saving BW yeast blends. Once it has been used, the yeast way out-populates the Lacto, and any subsequent brew will be slow to sour at best, if it does it at all. The idea of the blend is that the yeast is at a low population, allowing the lacto to get working before the yeast population has grown to the point where it starts producing alcohol.

For other bug mixes, such as Lambic or Flanders style, the best way to keep a sample is in a small fermenter with an airlock at room temperature (I use 1.5 liter wine bottles it small corks with airlocks). Just keep the airlock filled, and the bugs will keep for up to a couple of years. You may have to add some fresh yeast when you use it, but the bugs will be healthy.

This has worked well for me. There was primarily bacteria in the hot AJ starter, and few yeast. Pitching the AJ starter first provides loads of bacteria, then like you said:

The idea of the blend is that the yeast is at a low population, allowing the lacto to get working before the yeast population has grown to the point where it starts producing alcohol.

My batches get plenty sour (for a berliner), then the yeast get going and finish. Pitching the lme starter is not always necessary. I am sure i have changed the proportions from the original pitch. And sure, yeast grew, but it worked and it was good.

Maybe this has just worked for my lightly sour beers, or just Sacch and Lacto. I've never tried it with any Brett combo.

Back