Washing dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't wash it...it needs to be dry cleaned! :D

TheJadedDog is right, it's so cheap to buy a fresh packet that most people don't bother. Yesterday though I gave it a thought, as I racked my blond ale off a beautiful cake of S-04. One of these days, I'll give it a try.

One reason to do it is cell count. There is probably 10x the number of cells in a half-quart slurry than the 11gram packet. I know it's not all that cost effective as a reason, but it's still $3.50-4.00 (two packs) in a 10 gallon batch.

It's always safer to pitch on the prestinely protected cake of a batch you just racked out though. The act of harvesting, washing and storing does give you plenty of opportunities for contamination. It's not something I'd recommend for novice brewers. Once you get through say 10 clean batches, no dumpers, you might feel like your concept and process of sanitation is sound.

Back