Washed yeast isn't - er - clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
(I am trying to wash yeast for the first time)

In anticipation of brewing today, I racked an amber into a secondary (to dry hop) and kept the yeast. I poured the yeast into a sanitized growler and stopped pouring when it looked like I was down to the trub (green and nasty in this batch - tons of unstrained hops). I let it sit (under foil) for a while and decanted the beer on top but nothing else seemed to be separating out. So I added some more sanitized water and waited longer (again at room temp). After several hours, I saw some 'banding' so I decanted the top, tried to pour the yeast into yet another sanitized vessel and stop before I got to trub. Waited a few more hours and could still not see any layers forming - just thick, greenish-yellow muck (not like the creamy white layers I was expecting).

So I was getting discouraged that I even had any other than gunk but I went ahead and boiled some DME, cooled it my flask and pitched my 'yeast'. That was yesterday. After an hour, I had a pretty constant head of foam (I kept swirling to mix it all up) and a little bit of layering (nasty green at the bottom, murky brownish goop in the middle, then some wort and then foam) I swirled all day yesterday and let it work overnight (I made a stir plate but it's way too aggressive - I need to get a potentiometer to slow it down). This morning, I put it in the fridge to get it to separate out but I'm pretty reluctant that I have a decent starter for pitching tonight.

At no point did I have a vigorous-looking fermentation, maybe only as much as 3/4 in of gentle foam.

In the 1L erlenmeyer flask, I have maybe 1/2 inch of what appears to be 'normal yeast'. the rest is green trub and wort.

Even if I can carefully decant to get just that yeast, I'm afraid this just isn't enough healthy yeast to bother pitching.

Should I just go get a new smack pack (this is 1056 that I'm working with, BTW) or is there some hope that this is decent to pitch (without stepping it up - I don't have time today)?

Sounds like a regular batch of washed yeast. The don't always separate out into nice bands. Not having a vigourous krausen is also normal.

How much yeast slurry did you use approximately? Mr. Malty will help you figure out if it is enough for you next batch.

Next time try dumping sterilized water into the fermenter and swirl it to suspend all the yeast and hops. Leave it sit for 20 minutes and pour it into another sterile container and let it sit for 30 minutes there and then pour it into the sterile containers you intend to keep it in. Each time you transfer, leave the crud behind and by the time it is in your storage containers it will be nearly clean yeast.

Latest posts

Back