Washed yeast from a Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
So I washed yeast from a black IPA.

I cant remember for sure but is there a rule of thumb about what kind of beers you can brew with washed yeast? I thought i remember reading that it should be a darker beer or am i just mixing up information??

Could I reuse this slurry in a pale ale?

I think if it's washed, you're good. The advice is usually to pitch on the cake of a lighter beer, since the darker beer is less likely to take on flavors from the lighter one.

I don't have any personal experience though, so let a seasoned yeast washer chime in before you do something rash.

djfriesen said:
I think if it's washed, you're good. The advice is usually to pitch on the cake of a lighter beer, since the darker beer is less likely to take on flavors from the lighter one.

I don't have any personal experience though, so let a seasoned yeast washer chime in before you do something rash.

Yep, that's right. Use your washed yeast for whatever you want.

The other rule of thumb is that you're not suppose to re-use yeast from a high gravity beer to make a normal gravity beer. So, if you make a 9% ABV beer you are not suppose to use that yeast to make a 4% ABV beer. However, you can use the 4% ABV yeast to make a 9% ABV beer. Of course this is all about your taste. Some people use the higher gravity yeast to produce the lower gravity beer and they say they can't tell the difference. Others say they can.

Back