Washed yeast and Mr Malty Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
So, I've looked through a bunch of threads and I'm still not sure that I have the parameters right. So I harvested this yeast last night (picture 1 in the tall jar). I was careful to only pour out the liquid from the washing jar and avoided any trub /sludge from the bucket and washing jar. I have a good layer which is 3/4-1/2 in thick at the bottom depending on the thickness of the glass. And the jar is 4-4 1/2 inches in diameter. So the yeast is around 190 ml (3.14 * 5.5cm * 5.5cm) * 2cm. Would you say that the default values are appropriate (i.e. that this is not enough for a 6 gallon 1.06 batch a month from now) or is it reasonable to assume that my yeast density and purity are better?

How would this compare with past times where I had a significant amount of grey trub/dead yeast (picture 2 in the short jar).

Thanks,

Anthony

photo (2).JPG

photo (3).JPG

Tough to say from pic. Washed yeast usually have between 1 and 2 billion cells/ml.
If there is no trub I would assume that is somewhere in range 1.5-2 B/ml.

Back