was 1.085 and now its 1.015 in a few days. is it still good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digg

Reaction score
brewing an IPA and we did a gravity test and it was 1.085 and now its 1.015 in a few days. is it still good beer or is it good tea?

Um, that's precisely what it's supposed to do. As the yeast ferment the sugars into alcohol, the gravity drops. 1015 is a good final gravity for an IPA starting from 1085. Congrats, you made beer!

Yeah it should be getting closer to 1.000. This means your making alcohol. Now dont freak if you loose I few more points, it should.

By the way. This is a pretty big beer. 7.2%abv now.

wow! thats a relief I really thought that we screwed it up the temp held close to 80F and maybe killed the yeast before it could do its job. now I have to figure out the hydrometer.

wow! thats a relief I really thought that we screwed it up the temp held close to 80F and maybe killed the yeast before it could do its job. now I have to figure out the hydrometer.

Yeast die around 120f. Your brew did ferment a bit warm but it clearly fermented nevertheless. Leave it it primary for at least a week before you rack.

NOOB!!!!!
Whatever that means......?
Good job Bro you made some Brew-haha
Just messing w/ ya I love to see people come into this hobbie and have a good time..
Congrats
JJ

80 degrees, I hope you like fruity esters!!! Even though it fermented that fast , bring the temp down and let the yeast clean up after themselves. I would think 14 days min. with that gravity.

Eastside

Don't let Eastside's "Fruity Ester" comment freak you out(great way to ruin a guys fun)....Congrats on making beer!

Now that you got your first beer under you belt, look into temp control for your future batches. But don't stress out about ANYTHING.

In fact read about my little "Fruity Ester" problem and how it turned out. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

It's all good! :mug:

Don't let Eastside's "Fruity Ester" comment freak you out(great way to ruin a guys fun)....Congrats on making beer!

Now that you got your first beer under you belt, look into temp control for your future batches. But don't stress out about ANYTHING.

In fact read about my little "Fruity Ester" problem and how it turned out. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

It's all good! :mug:

Revvy, I think what you are referring to is "Brewers Panic" :eek:. It comes on strong, usually accompanied by heavy breathing a lot of sweating and upset stomach. It causes irrational behavior, confusion and blurred vision. I have lost my share of beers due to this disorder. There is only one cure; RDWHAHB.

No harm meant with the "fruity esters" referrence. I like your philosophy, if you don't like the way it tastes, put it away for a month and then try it again. I have found that beer definitely changes over time.

Peace

Eastside

This is a pretty big beer. 7.2%abv now.

I'm getting 9.2%

Which is REALLY big.

Don't let Eastside's "Fruity Ester" comment freak you out(great way to ruin a guys fun)....

I don't want to freak you out, either, but on a beer this big at 80F, I'd be more concerned about fusels than esters. Might as well RDWHAHB, though, not much you can do about it now.

yeah, 9.2, 7.3 was the Alcohol by weight. But as many have said, You made beer. 80 is a bit high for fermeting temps, but it's your first batch, it will most likely be drinkable! Congrats and now the obsession begins. Just try and contain your fermenting temps next time. There are several options if you do a search ranging from Building Walk in coolers, to styrofoam chilling cabinets to big bowls of water and wet shirts!

sorry confused? what does fusels and esters mean? my brewing bud and racked about 12 days ago to the secondary and are thinking its time to bottle would we be rushing it if we did? the SG appears to have leveled out from 2 days ago.

sorry confused? what does fusels and esters mean? my brewing bud and racked about 12 days ago to the secondary and are thinking its time to bottle would we be rushing it if we did? the SG appears to have leveled out from 2 days ago.

Howtobrew.com is your friend.

http://www.howtobrew.com/glossary.html

This one's on the house, the next one costs since you'll be hooked.

Fusel Alcohol - A group of higher molecular weight alcohols that esterify under normal conditions. When present after fermentation, fusels have sharp solvent-like flavors and are thought to be partly responsible for hangovers.

Esters - Aromatic compounds formed from alcohols by yeast action. Typically smell fruity.

Esters can age out of a beer with time and bulk conditioning (leaving a beer on the yeast cake) for a few weeks. Even leaving it in secondary for 2 weeks can help a lot, as can a few weeks/months in the bottle.

What they're saying is that the high fermentation temps, along with the high ABV content might give it a strong "hot alcohol" or "solvent" flavor. You might need to down a glass of water and some aspirin after drinking a pint maybe nine to avoid the strong desire to drink embalming fluid and shave your tongue the next morning (hangover). Then again, if you're drinking nine imperial pints of anything, it's probably a good idea to take some water and aspirin!

These flavors may take some time to mellow out with age, or they may never mellow out. You may luck out and not have them too terribly as well. Thankfully, if you find this batch to be hard to drink, with the probable hopbomb you dropped into the beer and the nigh-on-barleywine levels of alcohol, it'll last for a nice long time, and is one of those beers you could probably really enjoy a year from now.

Back