Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You buy a generator for your house, and the first circuit you wire in and test is the one to the Keezer.:drunk:

You bring the carboy to the counter for bottling one week before bottling to make sure it "settles"

liquiditynerd said:
You bring the carboy to the counter for bottling one week before bottling to make sure it "settles"

The following conversation comes around in our house every couple of weeks: 'Yep, that's where the carboy is gonna be parked until we bottle...' To which the other party says, with a groan, 'But why? Didn't we *just* bottle something???' (because they KNOW they're going to be expected to help).

When I see new pictures in the "Post a Picture of Your Pint" thread where the beer is out in the sunlight and worrying about it getting skunked.

I'm new to this, but I think I have the bug.

When your late for work, but still go down cellar to see if that primary finally started bubbling. You see a bubble, :rockin:, and head to work with a smile.

When your low, you size up folks that come to visit and determine if they're "beer worthy".

Everytime your in a big box store, you check the little recycle numbers on anything that looks like a plastic carboy, hoping to find that {1} symbol. What's this? A {7}? Damn

When your low, you size up folks that come to visit and determine if they're "beer worthy".

Guilty. I just entered a bunch of beers in competitions, so my pipeline is a bit low. The other day, one of my wife's friends dropped by, and normally I would have offered up one of my brews. But I offered her a Bell's pale ale I had in the fridge instead - just couldn't justify letting one of my last precious homebrews go to an "outsider". Also, I always have a few bottles stashed away hidden from my wife in case of emergency.

AGadvocate said:
When you can't decide what's more important, your marriage or homebrewing ;-)

You could have someone try both out for you. For a second opinion.

When you check 2 calendar of events daily and make sure there are no scheduling conflicts.
1 for Family events. Birthdays, get togethers, etc.
1 for brewing events: Brew days , oaking, dryhopping, primary's, kegging, etc.

Your temps are a little lower than you would like so while standing beside your fermenters you cradle them because you figure the extra body heat can't hurt.

You hear the monster mash on the radio and say to yourself "I did that over the weekend".
Now you want to play that song while mashing

I was walking past the baby aisle at the grocery store and saw a bottle cleaner.

I purchased it immediately.
I need to clean my babies.

Bombed my Dymanics midterm (7-10pm) got out of that, knew the only thing that was going cheer me up was to brew a great batch of beer. Started heating my mash water at 10:30 pm.. Nine hours later I had brewed two batches that night from 10:30pm to 7am... Totally worth it!

When you're finally getting your car outta the shop,& all you can think of is going to the LHBS & home cheapo on retiree payday.

When you put your old fridge in the basement and begin to fill it with the pipline then stop becuse you dont want to admit you wont have room and you know it will be maxxed out.

The monster mash, we did the monster mash. The monster mash, we did the monster mash.

I love it. I started this thread. Yeah baby!!!!

When you have to take your SWMBO's clothes out of the closet so you can add more filled fermenters.

(Caution this is a risky maneuver and can cause serious injury)

When you spend several months waiting for the main ingredient of a Native American beer to be dried & harvested researching it's other constituents & it's brewing process.

unionrdr said:
When you spend several months waiting for the main ingredient of a Native American beer to be dried & harvested researching it's other constituents & it's brewing process.

Interesting. OT but What tribe? What's the recipe or dedicated thread?

When you even look forward to making a starter. I am not sure if its because it means I will be brewing soon or because I enjoy the malty smell even if its for a few minutes.

donjr721 said:
A planned $30 visit to the LHBS turns into an $81 visit

Try a planned $1.50 visit turns into an $80 visit. Seriously, I only planned on buying 1 packet of dry yeast!

when you decide to spend your food budget on buying brewing ingredients cause you figure hell, I can always use the spent grains to bake bread to eat :D

When you spend time on a forum talking about beer to people who live some 8 000 miles away:D

It takes me 15-30 minutes to build a 6-pack at Total Wine.... so much selection.

Warning sign that SWMBO is into this nonsense as much as I am: she's okay with me taking that long.

When you are out checking tow on your towboat and the foam between barges reminds you of hotbreak. Then you think damn another 25 days left till I can brew again.

When u use a portal-john and u see the #2 recycle mark and the first thing that pops in ur head is "if I could get a new john and seal it up I can ferment in this bad boy"

Bradinator said:
My wife is 5 days overdue and I am planning to sneak one more brew in before the baby comes.

I did this in December. My "stubborn baby IPA" turned out great!!

When, while at work, hoarding anything that is going to be thrown away and implementing it into your brew equipment. ;)

Robms88 said:
Your excel spreadsheet of your beer log is more complex than your university coursework.

+1. I have spent hours writing macros and building hyperlinks into each brews dedicated worksheet.

Another is creating calendar events in you phone calendar so you can reference at any time the stages the brews will be in.

Back