Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stevo2569 said:
A real brew fridge would not have that much food in it. Looks like you have some work to do.

Sorry, we had a family dinner last night and our office potluck today, otherwise it would be empty.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

And lastly, when your fridge looks like this

That's not a BREW fridge, but a fridge with a few brews in it...

Now THIS is a BREW fridge...
5041-brew-fridge-inside-full.jpg

Fridge section is for beer ONLY. Freezer section is for hops (plus freezer packs for brew/brewing related use).

Top left is a 2.5 gallon, the rest are 3 gallon. Fridge is a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool unit (from Sears). I had to pull the light bulb, and plastic shield, out in order to get the top right keg in. I have two gas lines going in through bulkheads (dual body regulator feeds them) that connect to two manifolds, so that I can do two different pressure sets to the kegs. I have the 2.5 gallon, with my mocha porter, at a lower psi than the rest.

I can put four 3 gallon kegs into the fridge... I'm just waiting to empty the 2.5 gallon before I put a 3 gallon in it's place.

Sorry I keg everything. There was 16 yeast jars in my main fridge. I could have also showed my bar. False front cabinets. Matching granite to the rest of kitchen. Also have a two tap kegerator in the garage just for sour/funking ale.

13246054147460.jpg

No pictures, but I am getting crazy like some of you.
- Kitchen refrigerator (25 cu ft) half full of jars with yeast and a variety of beers that I am "thinking" of brewing.
- A kegerator in the basement with 3 corny kegs
- A new chest freezer (7 cu ft) with another 3 corny kegs (holds 4) that I am intending to build a collar or irish coffin (I rushed it into "service" with picnic taps as I needed someplace to put the ready to drink corny kegs).
- A upright freezer in the basement, with a FULL shelf of hops (close to 20 #)
- Another refrigerator in the basement (23 cu ft) that I use as fermentation chamber
- A motorized barley crusher in the garage mounted on top of a bathroom vanity
- About 250-300# of grains from group buys in the basement in various food-grade containers
- Another 8 5-gallon containers I used for water which I get from a local spring so that I have a supply ready to brew (I like the taste of it better than my well water).
- and so on...

You are planning on selling your big house, move the wife into a condo and build a purpose built brewery with the extra money on a vacant lot. I am planning a small bed room just in case!

When your wife gets a new mixer for christmas and you want the case it came in to make yet another stir plate

You get some packs of Starbucks iced coffee flavoring & the 1st thing you think of is how it will taste in your Stout.

When you get an electric gravy warming dish (big) and you try and figure out what you can use it for while brewing (we don't eat gravy)

Any ideas?

When you wake up at 2 am on xmas, and search hbt for a better hop straining solution for your keggle because you want to move away from a hop spider to free range hops in 2012

When all your Christmas gifts are beer related... And your brother makes references to signing up for AA. ;-)

Sheesh... I'm going back to reading my new copy of blam

You know you're addicted (or your in laws aren't initiated) when half of your Christmas presents require lenghty explanation. For example, explaining what the heck a bottle tree is, why it looks like it does, and how it works. Also I got The Compleat Meadmaker (Ken Schramm) and Microbrewed Adventures (Charlie Papazian).

-When your 6 y.o. son gets a new microscope for x-mas and you get excited to look at one of your yeastie friends through it.
-when you get gift cards and cash for the LHBS from everyone....I see a kegging system and a grain mill in my near future :)

when you started this thread and have read every single post and reply since you started it 7 months ago.

when your 4 year old daughter knows how to bottle your beer, knows your styles by color, and is your co-brewmaster (according to her, she is the brewmaster).

Addiction at its finest was saving my fermenter from my burning home on thanksgiving day, (after of course knowing everyone else was fine)

When you have a chest freezer, frig, and upright freezer in the storage room of you basement all with beer in them. And four metro Racks for bottles empty and full, long term aging area and back up equipment. And your wife ask's if u want her to pick up another shelf cause it looks like you are running out of space

When you have your fingers crossed that you win you Pick 'Em league (3 points out of 2nd, 5 out of first, going into the last week). Not for bragging rights over your buddies, but for upgrades in your brewery...oxygenation system, upgrade all faucets to Perlicks, replace all tap lines to the Ultra Barrier lines, and buy a few bags of base grain.

When you cant sleep and the first thought you have is "Oh well guess ill get on HBT for a while and finalize a recipe for my next batch"

When your girlfriends dog bites you in the leaving you with 12 stitches holding your lip together.. And the dog..writes a letter to you telling you how sorry he is and to make it up to you gets you a ten pound bag of smoked malt.

oakbarn said:
You are planning on selling your big house, move the wife into a condo and build a purpose built brewery with the extra money on a vacant lot. I am planning a small bed room just in case!

You plan on selling your buddy's big house for him (realtor), so that he can move his wife into a condo, so we can build a custom brewery with his profits on a vacant lot, with lots of sunflowers & doves to shoot during mash & brew times...we are planning a small bedroom with bunkbeds & a 60" flat screen TV! (I've got your six buddy!)

When you simulate a yoga position by crawling on your hands and knees while raising your head up so you can sniff the airlock. The CO2 burns your nostrils and you cringe but exhale just long enough for the pain to subside and take another whiff.

...and when you taste the airlock liquid and think...mmmm, hops...

...when your daughters(6 and 3) have their own imaginary "Beer machine" like their daddy to make beer with you while you spend countless hours in the basement brewing the beer you drink.
...when your daughters (6 and 3) want to take turn measuring out grain, water conditioning, grinding, measuring hops, while sneaking crystal 60 grains as little snacks.
...when your wife says why are we buying a 3rd stand up freezer, don't you already have one you use for beer?
...when your wife says to your daughters, "did you look in the basement"

I think this thread needs a name change, You know you're in Heaven when.....

I had a homebrew addiction moment two weeks ago.. too complicated/odd to phrase it in the normal "when you" phraseology, so bear with me.

I'm bringing home my new daughter from the hospital. The nurse says, "you can take everything from the room except the linens" - my thoughts immediately shift to the little pink plastic bin that we used to give my daughter her first bath.
"Can I take that? It's the perfect size for bottling a six pack of beer from my kegerator".

you're brave, tried for another after two girls? I've got two girls now, really wanted two kids but was hoping one of them would be a boy. Debating a third try, but scared of being the only man in a small house with four women.

bruin_ale said:
you're brave, tried for another after two girls? I've got two girls now, really wanted two kids but was hoping one of them would be a boy. Debating a third try, but scared of being the only man in a small house with four women.

My FIL did that ended up with 3 girls. I've got 1 boy and am perfectly happy with no more. Although the wife constantly hints at another( I don't blain her).

Well, let's just say I was just as surprised that we were having a boy as I was that we were having a third child. Without going into the details lets just say that I beat all the odds. I attribute the boy to drinking only the beer I brew at home :). I blame/praise my wife for the fact that we now have three kids!

I have in fact set up my beer machine with my son in the baby bjorn.

When you can distinguish roadside twist off bottles from the refillable kind at 70 mph.

Latest posts

Back