Want to use a bucket as a strainer - is mash temp too hot for plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been batting around ideas for a nice, easy way to press the grains after the mash. I'm thinking of using 2 stacked fermentation buckets. The top bucket will have some holes drilled in the bottom so when you place the bag in the top bucket and press, the wort will collect in the bottom bucket. My concern is that the mash temp of 150~ish might be too hot for the bucket and could either a) warp/melt the bucket or b) pick up some off flavors from the high temp plastic.

So my question: Does anyone know what temperature fermentation buckets are rated for?

I use a plastic bucket as a mash tun and never had any issues with warping or the such. No off flavours present either. I believe that issues occur above 85C but im not 100% so im sure someone can correct that

Charlie Papazian actually suggests using a bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in his book "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". That said, I wouldn't press them (it'll introduce tannins and you don't want that), rinse them with sparge water (at about 170 degrees F) to get any remaining sugar off.

My only thought is that there isn't much room below the bottom of the top bucket when you stack them, might have your bag sittting in wort. Unless you're planning to let it drain some first. I have a really big colander that is the perfect size to fit nicely in the bucket but be suspended by the handles - that seems easier. I do mostly 3 gal BIAB batches though so I'm only needing to fit max of about 9 lbs of grain.

I wouldn't press them (it'll introduce tannins and you don't want that)

That myth and been well and thoroughly debunked - go ahead and squeeze away. As always, watch your pH though.
:mug:

Never had a batch I haven't squeezed and no tannins here....only great beer.

As for the OP's question, I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for my BIAB squeezing/draining/sparging. After I pull it out of the brew kettle I suspend it above the kettle in said bucket. Used the same one for over 15 batches already with no warping or issues.

Charlie Papazian actually suggests using a bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in his book "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". That said, I wouldn't press them (it'll introduce tannins and you don't want that), rinse them with sparge water (at about 170 degrees F) to get any remaining sugar off.

Yeah, the tannin thing is completely false. Squeezing doesn't produce tannins, having a pH too high AND a temperature too high does.

So I've been batting around ideas for a nice, easy way to press the grains after the mash. I'm thinking of using 2 stacked fermentation buckets. The top bucket will have some holes drilled in the bottom so when you place the bag in the top bucket and press, the wort will collect in the bottom bucket. My concern is that the mash temp of 150~ish might be too hot for the bucket and could either a) warp/melt the bucket or b) pick up some off flavors from the high temp plastic.

So my question: Does anyone know what temperature fermentation buckets are rated for?

The white HDPE buckets will start getting pretty soft... at about 235F, well above the boiling point of wort. I have poured boiling wort into mine several times with no problems.

My only thought is that there isn't much room below the bottom of the top bucket when you stack them, might have your bag sittting in wort. Unless you're planning to let it drain some first. I have a really big colander that is the perfect size to fit nicely in the bucket but be suspended by the handles - that seems easier. I do mostly 3 gal BIAB batches though so I'm only needing to fit max of about 9 lbs of grain.

Just use a 6.5 gal bucket (typical fermentation bucket size) for the collection bucket, and drill holes in a 5 gal bucket to hold the bag. The smaller buckets stack just fine in the larger ones.

Edit: And a second 5 gal bucket full of water can be used to press on the bag.

Brew on :mug:

So I've been batting around ideas for a nice, easy way....?

IME the easiest way by far is to let the bag hang over the kettle on a ratchet pulley and let it gravity drain for 20-30 minutes while you get to boil.

Yes, HDPE buckets can easily handle mash temps, but building and using a press made out of two buckets doesn't sound easy to me. Sounds more like a pain in the ass. Throw $0.25 - $0.50 worth of grain at the batch and carry on....now that sounds easy....

Yeah, the tannin thing is completely false. Squeezing doesn't produce tannins, having a pH too high AND a temperature too high does.

In fact it just happened to be BIAB brewers who proved over and over how much a myth the "squeezing the grainbag" thing was.

Here's an uber ZAP A Pap setup.

And as to if a bucket can handle the heat...this is one of the ways people brew in parts of the world where turkey fryers and fancy stainless e-brewering rigs are less common...Like Australia, and England, and in my kitchen this winter if I get mine finished.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3u8OdS5_A[/ame]

Latest posts

Back