Want to make some sour beer? Join my wine-barrel project in the Portland area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevermind, I made plans for sunday but my schedule is pretty flexible so if someone comes up with another date I can probly make it.

I am closing on the house on the 7th of January, so it'll have to be between now and then. I will be here most of Sunday, but from 12-2 I won't be. Can someone text me when you get a date and time, so I don't miss it? 503-597- 86 6 5

Hard for me to follow on here by the day. If someone could text me too if a decision is made quickly that'd be much appreciated. Thanks! 541 224 3404

Couldn't figure the google doc. I'm good tmw 15th or can do almost any day after 26th. Gone to MD in btw.

Hard for me to follow on here by the day. If someone could text me too if a decision is made quickly that'd be much appreciated. Thanks! 541 224 3404

I filled out the calendar for you; I put you down as available "anytime" on the 15th and on the 27th through the 4th. Feel free to make adjustments if needed.

If we're going to meet today (the 15th) we'll need to hear from brewbien, daevidallen and jhalloran quickly...

I fillled out the spreadsheet, great idea! I'm going out of town this sunday and wont be back until january 4th at the soonest. If we can make it happen this week I can get a truck to pick up the barrel. If not I can drop off some cornys for someone to hold my share.

Could it possibly work during the evening this wednesday thursdsay or friday? Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to empty? I guess it depends on how many siphons we can fit in the barrel.

The new year came quickly! We still need resonses on the spreadsheet from brewbien and jhalloran... but we need to get together very soon.

Looks like daevidallen can't make it until this weekend; and theveganbrewer has limited availability.

Let's meet Saturday, January 3rd at 10:00am. Looks like that works for all who responded, hopefully brewbien and jhalloran can both make it. Sound good?

Good to see all you guys again.

I did a gravity check and it came in at 1.000-1.001, tasted a very slight acetic character so be careful with oxygen exposure.

Also my forearms are so sore from lifting that barrel.

Well I got the barrel to its new home still with 10 or so gallons of beer in it, should i be worried about it turning to vinegar? I'm down to fill it again whenever ya'll want to or I can throw in 10 gallons of wort to restart fermentation and buy us some time. Also iscribble I have your share in kegs at my house you can pick it up whenever you want, I'll pm you the address.

Taste it and see what you think. I'm pretty sure I got a very slight vinegar character. I could be wrong though. If you taste it too, Then you should keep your kegs cold, it should inhibit growth.

Hey everyone, I feel obligated to get this project going again. The barrel is doing well and ready for another fill. I'm leaving for 4-5 months starting April 12th so it would be great if we could get another batch aging before then. That timing would also be perfect considering ambient tempurtures right now. The barrel is in a basement around 55 degrees and should warm up once spring hits. There is 5-10 gallons of beer in the barrel which I still need to sample for acetobacter and such. If it tastes good we can just pitch wort directly in, or primary seperately with a different strain. I'm down for 10ish gallons, let me know if your interested.
-Judd

Back