Visited White Labs Tasting Room Today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
On Tuesday, SWMBO and I visited Stone Brewery, and today we dropped by the White Labs Tasting room for a "tour" and some samples.

20130821_160121.jpg

The building is nondescript, and we were not quite sure whether we were in the right place or not. Everything looks industrial and uninviting until you see this:

20130821_160117.jpg

We quickly found our way in to this room:

20130821_160633.jpg

...and were able to sample four Kolsch beers from the same batch but fermented with four different yeasts. We were both amazed at how much difference yeast alone can make! You read about these things and wonder about them, but to experience it in person was really cool. We also got to taste an oatmeal stout and a couple of smoked browns with 2 different yeasts.

I say "tour" because the bar tender just gave us a slide presentation in the tasting room while explaining the history and some of the processes White Labs uses. Interesting, but we would have liked to see some of the operation.

The lamps in the tasting room were really cool: Erlenmeyer flasks with holes cut out of the bottom to insert light bulbs. Really clever idea.

20130821_160942.jpg

All in all, a nice afternoon event.

Fantastic! Thanks for the pictures! When I head down to stone for the first time I know I'll be hitting up white labs as well, for sure!

I live in San Diego and have yet to visit white labs but it is very high on my list of beer places I want to go!!!

This appears to be the most interesting tasting room in the country for homebrewers and there isn't a single whale in the house.

Back