Vinyl tubing used for IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Kind of new to homebrewing and I'm looking into making an immersion chiller. Guy at Home Depot said I should use the threaded vinyl tubing for my input and output lines. Is that really necessary? Or would regular vinyl tubing work just as well? Regular tubing is cheaper and can be cut, that's why I ask.

Also, any ideas as to how best to attach my input line to the kitchen sink?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I use regular cheap vinyl tubing. Just don't get it close to the burner while it's still on.

I used a barb to garden hose fitting on one end since that is what I use. For winter I got a garden hose to sink adapter.

Hey everyone,

Kind of new to homebrewing and I'm looking into making an immersion chiller. Guy at Home Depot said I should use the threaded vinyl tubing for my input and output lines. Is that really necessary? Or would regular vinyl tubing work just as well? Regular tubing is cheaper and can be cut, that's why I ask.

Also, any ideas as to how best to attach my input line to the kitchen sink?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ive always used regular vinyl tubing w/o a single problem. Attach using a hose clamp. Since boiling water is dangerous, you should inspect the tubing for any splitting and ensure the clamp is on tight.

Threaded tubing is likely a bit safer but IMO, if you inspect the connections before use, they are not needed.

Over 10 years on my IC w/ cheap vinyl tubing. HD has the barb for attaching to your faucet.

I used regular vinyl for a while before switching to a garden hose barb and garden hose. It worked good, but the heat eventually started to deform the tube so every few batches I would have to trim an inch or two off the tube. Not really that big of a deal since tube is fairly cheap.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll probably be building it this week. I'll let you know how it goes, and eventually how it works during my next brew. As I'm pretty new to homebrewing I'll probably make either the extra pale ale or the American rye ale as available from Northern Brewer.

My Belgian saison seems to be coming along nicely.

Cheers!

Regular vinyl tubing here. It does get a little disfigured due to the heat, but since the hosing never comes in contact with the wort, I never payed much attention to it.

Latest posts

Back