Vienna Malt Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Vienna/Sterling SMASH that I guess you would call a pale ale. I liked the Vienna but wasn't crazy about the Sterling. I should have been more sure of the hops before I did a SMASH with them :)

Just are a Vienna season,

66.7% vienna
16.7% victory
8.3% Munich 10l
8.3% wheat malt

Done 2 SMaSH beers with Vienna, pale ale and lager. Worked better in the lager but wasn't great.

I did a 100% Vienna pale ale hopped with Columbus and El Dorado. It was awesome and I plan on rebrewing it again.

I've had quite a few Vienna pales and they're fantastic. Good malt profile but not too malty or sweet in the slightest. Loved em.

I am currently fermenting a 50% Vienna, 50% Pale 2-Row, as an experiment. It should turn out even lighter than a 100% Vienna. It is a hybrid blonde/pale. I wanted to go very light but significantly over do the hops than what would be in a blonde, like a hoppier pale. Not sure how it will turn out. Could be an alcoholic hop tea. Not sure if that will be a good thing or a bad thing. It will surely be significantly unbalanced, with no significant maltiness.

I did a beer 50/50 with vienna and wheat, US-05, and a bunch of hops pretty early on in my brewing. It was one of the better early beers for sure

I am currently fermenting a 50% Vienna, 50% Pale 2-Row, as an experiment. It should turn out even lighter than a 100% Vienna. It is a hybrid blonde/pale. I wanted to go very light but significantly over do the hops than what would be in a blonde, like a hoppier pale. Not sure how it will turn out. Could be an alcoholic hop tea. Not sure if that will be a good thing or a bad thing. It will surely be significantly unbalanced, with no significant maltiness.

I can tell you it will be malty. I do a blonde that way and I use williamette for about 18 IBU. I am going thru a 5 gallon batch of it every 2 to 3 weeks. I am going to brew my blonde again for the 7th or eightht time. :mug:

Vienna is my default malt. Has flavor without being sweet. Had a very popular malty pale ale with 90% vienna, 5% victory, 4% carared and 1% caraaroma. Beautiful honey color as well.

Vienna is my default malt. Has flavor without being sweet. Had a very popular malty pale ale with 90% vienna, 5% victory, 4% carared and 1% caraarma. Beautiful honey color as well.

That sounds great. I was gonna buy the ingredients for it today in order to brew Saturday. I'm glad the LHBS was out of Vienna, because that is the one I think I wanna try now. Thanks.

Just Vienna. I love me some simple quaffer pales.

Agreed. As a SMaSH with light to moderate hopping it makes a nice session beer that goes over well with most crowds. I've done it with Saaz, Centennial, and Perle. I agree that is has flavor without being sweet, it's also not nearly as malty to me as Munich which I need to use sparingly.

Agreed. As a SMaSH with light to moderate hopping it makes a nice session beer that goes over well with most crowds. I've done it with Saaz, Centennial, and Perle. I agree that is has flavor without being sweet, it's also not nearly as malty to me as Munich which I need to use sparingly.

Yeah, a lot of people just use a pound here or there to spice up 2-row but it works great as 90%+ of a beer. Personally malty pale ales are one of my favorite kind of beers but it also works great for milds as a less sweet alternative to MO. Not sure I'd bother with it in a stout though as it'd get pretty completely overwhelmed.

Next up I'm thinking: 90% vienna, 9% carabrown, 1% caraaroma.

Just cold crashed my Vienna Pale Ale, the sample tasted great. Very bready with subtle sweetness.

91% Vienna
7% Caramel Vienne 20L
2% Biscuit
Amarillo, Columbus, and Simcoe

You need to consider the malster when brewing with vienna. JW vienna (domestic Australian) doesn't taste much different to ale malt, but German vienna is full of awesome malty/toasty flavours. The difference is HUGE (I've done SMaSH lagers with both). I'd expect the US versions are similar to the Aussie ones.

Just finished the last of my Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH Pale and it is awesome. My first time using all Vienna as a base malt and I will be doing so again.

Half Acre makes a beer called Beer Hates Astronauts. It's All Vienna malt and all Citra hops. No reason you can't go 100% with it. I've done so w/ a Galaxy IPA and it was quite nice.

About a month ago I wanted to brew the "morebeer.com" Vienna Lager kit that I'd ordered in anticipation of cooler temps. It stayed too warm and I got bored so I brewed it anyways but pitched 3rd generation Safale 04 rather than a lager yeast. I'm calling it a AltDunkel. It's a little on the thinner side compared to my usual stuff on tap. It'd be a fantastic hot summer day beer.

I've brewed this 4 or 5 times. It's a very good pale ale. Based on the comments above, I might try it again this spring but up the Vienna to 90%.

5 lbs Vienna (3.5 SRM)
4 lbs Pale - Briess Brewers 2-Row (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Crystal 20 (20.0 SRM)

1.25 oz Centennial - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Centennial - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial - Boil 0.0 min

Ferment with Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale) at 66-68 degrees.

OG = 1.052, FG = 1.012, IBU = 38, SRM = 6.4

Latest posts

Back